register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

MikeW

How long to find 6 month rental

Hi,

Our flights are booked for Sat 25th June from Manchester to Sydney to myself, wife and 2 children.

We are planning on staying in Sydney for a night or two before heading to Canberra.

I will start work the following Monday. I'm looking into short term furnished rental until I can secure a 6 month house rental.

My question is, how long would it take for us to find a 6 month rental? Is this something we should be able to do over 2-3 weekends? Or is the rental market so competitive it may take much longer?

Thanks,

Mike.

I believe it's a lot of leg work, but maybe it's quieter as it's winter out there. I'm sure there are lots of people on here who can advise you better tho', good luck

Job offer April 2011, Reccie July 2011, 457 submitted 21/09/2011, my medical only 14/10/11, medical submitted 21/10/11 (IT issues), referred 21/10/11, approved 27/10/11, landed 24/4/12, PR submitted (decision ready) June 2012, PR granted August 2013

Hi Mike.

We are heading out in October and are staying in a holiday rental for the first 4 weeks and are hoping that is enough time to secure a longer term rental. I'd be interested to know how long it takes you when you arrive.

Good luck with the move.

thanks

Claire

Pete, Claire, Jaime & Maisie

Allow 4 weeks to be safe, we struggled to find a place in Feb last year but decided to move again last month & found it much easier - even managing to haggle prices down a little.

Make sure that the house your going for is heated though - aircon you can get by without but it gets very cold here.

Catherine & Rob +ve AIM Assessment 03/09 (HR Mgr), ACT SS applied 9/4/09, ACT SS Approved 17/7/09, Meds 5.8.09, C/O 19.8.09, GRANT 27.8.09!! Flew Boxing day 09!

:wub:

And ideally go for both!! I couldn't survive without either.....:biglaugh:

This is a better time to look I think. We looked in March and it was horrendous. Have a look at http://www.allhomes.com.au/ and you'll get an idea for what's about. Canberra has a pretty competitive market overall.

It is not economical to go to bed early to save the candles if the result is twins - Chinese proverb

Hi Claire

We arrived here September 12 2009 & moved into our first long term rental 10 October. It is possible but you need to make sure you have all your relevant papers etc ready & email them on as soon as you find a property. Unfortunately October is the start of the rental mad rush in Canberra but if your ready you'll manage it.

Jacqui

It all depends on how picky you are - and how prepared and how much you are intending to pay. This is a better time of year to be looking - it gets harder in October through to March. It also depends on how attractive you make yourself look to prospective landlords - having Aus references certainly helps in that regard.