Anyone ever moved interstate??

Maisie

Hiya

we are looking to move from Perth to Cairns and cant decide whether we should just drive there ourselves or else use a removal company. (we are aware it would take about 2-3 weeks but imagine the road trip) . Is it expensive to hire a removal company, we would have 2 vehicles and contents of a small house to move but dont want to spend a fortune and if you have done it was it worth it. Any advice greatly appreciated

Guest siamsusie

Hi Maisie,

Kate & Rob moved from Melbourne to Cairns interstate, so I am sure they will be able to give you the low down on that move.

We moved from northern WA over to Tasmania, used Crown removals which the company paid for, but we transported one of our cars over with a Transporter which worked out much cheaper than driving it over ourselves.

If time is on your side, that will be an amazing trip!

Susie x

Guest BuyThat

I've moved interstate a number of times myself with a family of 6, 2 pets AND way too much furniture.

I have shipped cars and driven them and I must say I preferred to drive them the whole way and make it more of a "Road Trip" for the kids. Not convinced it saved me too much money mind you but if you have the time!

My 2 tips are:

1) Declutter and ONLY keep what you really want. If moving to a warmer climate ( like I did from Vic to Qld) you wont need as much warm clothing so keep the classic and fav pieces.

2) It might be worth considering getting rid of any cheaper home furnishing items. From my experience they don't travel as well and you could buy new again for the price!

3) Shop around on the removal companies for price and haggle!

Happy moving

Cheers

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Maisie

Sorry I have just seen this, we considered hiring a van and doing it ourselves until we found out that you cannot do a one way hire on the vans, so it was a case of selling everything and starting again or using a removal company. We decided on Crown, not because they were the cheapest but because they had quite a good reputation, the total price was $5840 from Melbourne to Cairns. I would however, use a different company to insure the move as Crown came up with some ridiculous figures, but we ended up going with Suncorp and it cost us $1200 for the top insurance.

There is a company called You Move where they drop the container off with you 2 weeks before for you to pack yourself, the only problem with this is getting insurance and it wasn't that much cheaper at approx $4140.

In regards to the car Rob was going to drive up, but when we worked it out it was as cheap to ship the car up which was $1200.