advice on Clontarf Beach high and Redcliffe State schools

kellydorey1

Hi everyone, we are moving to the Redcliffe area and have a 15 year old daughter who is looking at Clontarf Beach and Redcliffe High schools...... does anyone out there have children who go to either of these schools? does anyone know anything about them.... any info would be great... I just keep looking an thinking..... they look nice and suny to me!! not really helpful I know but hey :err:.

Thanks Kelly

Hi, we have lived in Redcliffe for 3 years now, none of my kids go to Redcliffe or Clontarf so can't give personal experience, but have heard from friends about both. I think they both have mixed reviews as with most schools it really depends who their friends are. Redcliffe does very well academically, my daughter was at a maths comp last week with lots of state and private schools and Redcliffe year 8 won their section, used to be yu had to be in the catchment for Redcliffe or had no chance getting a place, not usre if this still applies. I think both schools give kids a variety of opportunities and I have certainly met kids from both schools with great ambitions. Hope this helps maybe someone else will come along with their personal experiences. Elena

Hey Elena,

Thanks for getting back to me, at this stage any information is helpful, I have no worries about most of the move but just want to get the school right. Leah (my daughter) is level headed so hopefully that will continue and she will choose good friends.

Can I ask where your children go? I am looking into both state and private at the moment.

Thanks again it's been nice to hear that Redcliffe seems ok, that is the one she seems to be drawn to at the moment. Kelly

Hi Kelly, I only have one daughter at high school, year 8. She goes to Grace Lutheran College and loves it. Most of her friends from primary have gone to Redcliffe and all seem to enjoy it, and as I said it does have an excellent academic reputation. I know the school nurse who visits both schools and I said with any school it has it's mixture of kids. I guess once you come over and visit the schools you will get a feel. Clontarf used to not have a great reputation but not sure if that is the same. Any questions just ask. Elena

Hi Elena,

Thanks again, I have contacted Redcliffe and they have been really helpful and Leah seems to like what they are saying so it's good news.

Next stop- healthcare, I'm sure the list ends somewhere haha.

Thanks a lot for getting back to me, Kelly

Good luck with the move Kelly (only just realised it is so close!!). I am sure everything with just fit into place when you get here. If you need any info or advice when you get here or just a chat and a coffee (or wine) just get in touch. Elena

• 2 weeks later...

Hello we lived in the Redcliffe area a few years ago and had children go through school there. I highly reccomend Grace Lutheran College, fees are very reasonable and the standard of education and care is incredable. The school cares about the child as a whole not just there results.

Kelly you might find this interesting

http://www.glc.qld.edu.au/index.html it is the web site for Grace College. Our Eldest went through the school and we have never had an issue with her taking drugs, smoking or drinking. The school taught her respect for self and others, so much so she is now married and has named her first child Grace in honor of all the school taught her. Many of her school friends are still friends though many are at Uni or in jobs both here in Auz or Overseas. For a school with relatively low fees the results are impressive. School busses also run from the local areas. Hope this helps. I am sure if you email the school with any specific information you require they would be only to happy to help you. Good Luck.

Kelly my oldest goes to Grace, although younger than your daughter (13yrs and in year 8), she would certainly be able to let her know what she thinks of the school. Just had school reports last week and she did great. Elena

Guest charter

Don't know if your here yet but we live in Redcliffe and my daughter will be going to Redcliffe High in a couple of years.

Best bet is wait til you get here and visit them all when you find out where you are living.

• 2 weeks later...

hey everyone, thanks so much for all the advice.....can't believe that it's been so long since I last got on here and had chance to check. I am going to take her to all the schools, we have secured a house in Scarborough so ...........15 days and counting !!!!!! thanks again x

Guest charter

We've lived in Scarborough for the last 8 years and love it. If you need to know anything we are glad to help.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Elena,

Well we got here, all in one piece and have done that mad first week of trying to put the house together when your belongings are 10,000 miles away on a boat.....or in our case still in the dock I think.

Thanks for the advice, thought you might like to know that Leah settled on Redcliffe in the end, she has had loads of help and is settling well, thanks again.......now the hunt for a job....still when the sun is out like thi it all seems a little less stressful :)

Hi Kelly, yep weather's not bad for a winter's day!! You have been busy since you got here, glad your daughter is settling in well. At least it's everything is easy to get to on the Peninsula, so easy to get medicare etc organised. Good luck with the job hunting, what do you do?

Elena

Guest charter

Hi Kellydorey,

glad you arrived safe and well. The weather has been particularly good this last few months and hopefully stays as is. You need to go and buy 2 pairs of thongs (flip flops) now, one for around the house and one for going out in then you will fit in well. We live off Eversleigh Road near the school if you want to come over for a cuppa any time. Charlie

Hi Charlie, yeah a cuppa would be nice.....I have the thongs and been attacked by magpies for the first time !!!! that was interesting, looked like some mad woman flapping an trying to run in thongs....no east feat I must say :( .....I may even make the local news lol so good was my display.....my daughter found is very amusing, aim to please and all that.

Hi Elena, it has been great to be able to find all we needed but should have rented a bigger car.....2 beds and a tv in a car with a boot was not easy....they must have thought us crazy when we bent the mattress in half an shoved it in the car.....should have got a ute!!.

I work in education....in the UK it was mainly on behavioural side, inclusion, covering for teachers and such like, have been offered some casual work in Redcliffe once I have my 'blue card' it's a start but am hoping for something a little more permanent.

Nice to chat, I live in Turner St, if either of you are around this way, have a good day

Archived