Victorian High country. (scout 4x4 weekend)

furkew

I have just come back from a weekend away with the scouts on a 4x4 trek up in the Victorian high country.

It looks like they will be trying to get more scout groups into these sort of activities as they have designated 4x4 experts, and some of the leaders from the Knox region joined us on this trip as well. (this is the second time they have organized such a trip)

Heres a few pictures. It was an amazing weekend, and the kids all had a fantastic time (as did the parents & leaders that went)

IMG_4660.jpg

IMG_4656.jpg

IMG_4616.jpg

IMG_4588.jpg

IMG_4554.jpg

IMG_0180.jpg

Guest The Pom Queen

I am so jealous Paul! Rob has agreed i can have a 4 x 4 but im only allowed a budget of $10k bah humbug

I am so jealous Paul! Rob has agreed i can have a 4 x 4 but im only allowed a budget of $10k bah humbug

Because my Hi-Lux is a 92 with over 300,000k's on the clock, and has led a hard life, it often suffers on trips like these.

On this trip I broke one of the CV's on the front suspension & the radiator now needs replacing. Last year on the same trip with the scouts, the engine crapped itself 3 days after getting home. ($3000 weekend:mad:)

Every time I go serious 4x4 it costs serious money. Get a better budget, and it wont cost quite as much in the long run.(hopefully)

the 4th pic down is great. where in vic is it exactly?

We started at the Dargo pub, and then headed towards mount Sarah (we stayed the night at Sarah's hut), Wonnangatta station and then came out of the Alpine ranges via Mansfield.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Dargo,+Victoria&aq=0&sll=-25.335448,135.745076&sspn=43.569223,79.013672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Dargo+Victoria&ll=-37.312291,146.730652&spn=0.610564,1.757813&z=10

Dargo is also a very "Interesting" place. It's a bit like the Australian version of that little town in deliverance.

Guest juliemtaylor

I soo want to go.. My son is in Scouts now so hoping he'll get to go on one of those trips. They are just starting out leaning to camp in this weather under canvas, he should be ok as we're used to the cold and wet!

Love the mountains! No snow on them though :-(

Julie x

I soo want to go.. My son is in Scouts now so hoping he'll get to go on one of those trips. They are just starting out leaning to camp in this weather under canvas, he should be ok as we're used to the cold and wet!

Love the mountains! No snow on them though :-(

Julie x

We are very lucky here in the Dandenongs, because we have some very good scout camp sites very close. Wonga park, Gilwell park just to name 2 and our scout leaders just love going bush.

We recently had a scout go up to venturers with over 100 nights under canvas with the scouts alone.

We also go camping ourselves either on 4x4 trips, or up at a friends property in Deniliquin which is nearly 400 acres of bush.

IMG_2715.jpg

Damn, its a bloody hard life, but somebody has to do it :wink:

Guest The Pom Queen
Because my Hi-Lux is a 92 with over 300,000k's on the clock, and has led a hard life, it often suffers on trips like these.

On this trip I broke one of the CV's on the front suspension & the radiator now needs replacing. Last year on the same trip with the scouts, the engine crapped itself 3 days after getting home. ($3000 weekend:mad:)

Every time I go serious 4x4 it costs serious money. Get a better budget, and it wont cost quite as much in the long run.(hopefully)

Unfortunately he won't budge as we are going to keep our other new one. So I'm on a mission to find a bargain:biggrin:

Unfortunately he won't budge as we are going to keep our other new one. So I'm on a mission to find a bargain:biggrin:

I know we have had a thread on it before, but try to find one with at least a winch, snorkel, preferrably raised with aftermarket shocks & springs & all terrain or mud terrain tyres already on the vehicle. That will save you thousands straight away.

Ask for a UHF radio for your birthday and a hi lift jack for xmas, and give rob snatch straps, shackles & puncture repair kit for his BDay & xmas and you will be set.:laugh:

• 2 months later...

Thanks for posting furkew, lovely pics. My son was in the cadets and went camping at Mt. Disappointment and loved it. I was actually up at Warburton today, it was a lovely drive, the sun was shining and the countryside was so green at last after all the yellow grass we've had over the drought period. I was sitting on the banks of the river at Warburton today in a lovely cafe, and looking at all the trees about to bloom. In a few weeks I am going horseriding in the High Country and am looking forward to it. There are some lovely places in Victoria (don't you dare say a thing Bobj...LOL) we are lucky to live here !