markstott1980

Working abroad while in Australia

Hello PIO

My family and I are moving to the Sydney area following approval of our visas. I don't need to look for employment as I am due to start a new job on a drillship in August.

This job is a 28 days on, 28 days off rota and is located worldwide, first station being offshore Malaysia.

How does this work with regards to tax? In the UK, there are seafarers' tax allowances which let you claim back tax paid at the end of a year if you have been in the country for less than 184 days.

As a side note, has anybody used one of these relocation companies and are they worth it?

Thanks

Mark

Mark (32),Jodie (26),Evvoia (7),Jake (4) Did 8 months in Glenmore Park, back in the UK now but returning to Sydney permanently this year.

Hello Mark.

Might be of interest:

http://www.ato.gov.au/businesses/content.aspx?doc=/content/00205945.htm

Best regards.

Managing Director, Go Matilda Visas - www.gomatilda.com

Registered Migration Agent Number 0102534; Registered Tax Agent (Australia)

Chartered Accountant (UK, and Australia)

T - 023 81 66 11 55 (UK) or 03 9935 2929 (Australia)

E - alan.collett@gomatilda.com and acollett@bdhtax.com

Thanks Alan,

Looking at your message signature, being an accountant, you could be the man for the job.

I think that moving from here to Sydney may provide me with some tax benefits/rebates.

If this is your area of business would you mind giving me a quick PM with a quote and description of what your services will cover.

Thanks

Mark

Mark (32),Jodie (26),Evvoia (7),Jake (4) Did 8 months in Glenmore Park, back in the UK now but returning to Sydney permanently this year.