You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Prisoner allowed to father a child from prison using IVF.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

A prisoner has been allowed to become a father using IVF by using the Human Rights act even though he is still locked up, it says that his demand to let his partner be artificially insemnated was approved by the justice secretary ......... Kenneth Clarke.

A prisoner has been allowed to become a father using IVF by using the Human Rights act even though he is still locked up, it says that his demand to let his partner be artificially insemnated was approved by the justice secretary ......... Kenneth Clarke.

I'm not sure how I feel about this to be honest. If he had banked sperm before he was put inside - would there still be an issue if his partner used it to get pregnant? It would probably depend on her age too, as if she was 'running out of time' then I would not object.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I never thought of the age thing, i am sure her age will become apparent and if he is serving say 15 years and his partner is say 37 then i might agree with that, but we shall wait for more details, what would you think if she was in her 20's?

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Anyone know yet how old his partner is and how long he was in prison for?

Do you think this is a good reason to allow a prisoner to do this?

And is this why the human rights act was formed?

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/prisoner-given-father-baby-043152153.html

I would be concerned about WHO will be paying for the child/children whilst he is in prison and also who pays for the IVF ??

Lynne(45), Steve(41) Panel Beater, Keanan(13) Mummy's Boy, Aleah(7) Wolf in Sheeps clothing. Not with us Jade(22), Emma(22) and my 2 gorgeous Grandson's 2yrs & 1yr and my new little Granddaughter born 10th Dec 2011 & Grandson born 29th Feb :(

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Cheers for the link.

A prisoner is being allowed to father a baby from behind bars following a decision based on human rights laws.

According to the Daily Mail, Justice Secretary Kenneth Clarke approved the inmate's request to have the child with his partner by artificial insemination.

The decision was based on the prisoner's "right to family life" under Article 8 of the Human Rights Act.

It comes after convicted criminal Wayne Bishop used the act to successfully appeal against an eight month prison sentence for burglary and dangerous driving.

The father-of-five, 33, argued the judgment breached his human rights and not enough consideration was given to the plight of his children

Judges at the Court of Appeal in London last week agreed and ruled his prison sentence should be suspended so he could look after his family.

Tory MP Philip Davies said the combined impact of the two cases raised the prospect of criminals fathering children from behind bars simply to demand they be let out.

He told the newspaper: "The public are sick to the back teeth of the human rights of criminals being put before the rights of decent law-abiding people, victims and taxpayers. The whole point of being in prison is that your liberties are taken away from you. What's the point of locking people up if this pseudo-court, with the help of Ken Clarke, is going to give them all their rights back?"

A request under the Freedom of Information Act revealed that one prisoner was allowed fertility treatment this year. It is not known who is funding the treatment.

Another five applications are still being considered by the Justice Secretary.

I can't see how old his partner is, but he already has 5 kids and he is in prison, it doesn't seem right to me.

<!-- yog-llu -->

Cheers for the link.

I can't see how old his partner is, but he already has 5 kids and he is in prison, it doesn't seem right to me.

<!-- yog-llu -->

Cannot make ends meet? Have another kid and receive more in your welfare check!- DWP

So he is actually a good father looking out for his family like that.:biglaugh:

TRA Submitted 24/03/11,TRA Successful 18/04/11,WA SA Submitted 19/04/11,WA Approved 20/05/11,176 Visa lodged 20/05/11,Form 1100 to DIAC 22/06/11,CO Assigned 05/07/11,Medicals 19/9/11 Finalized 27/09/11,S.Africa+UK PCC sent to CO 6/10/11,VISA Granted 7/10/11!

Cheers for the link.

A prisoner is being allowed to father a baby from behind bars following a decision based on human rights laws.

According to the Daily Mail, Justice Secretary Kenneth Clarke approved the inmate's request to have the child with his partner by artificial insemination.

The decision was based on the prisoner's "right to family life" under Article 8 of the Human Rights Act.

It comes after convicted criminal Wayne Bishop used the act to successfully appeal against an eight month prison sentence for burglary and dangerous driving.

The father-of-five, 33, argued the judgment breached his human rights and not enough consideration was given to the plight of his children

Judges at the Court of Appeal in London last week agreed and ruled his prison sentence should be suspended so he could look after his family.

Tory MP Philip Davies said the combined impact of the two cases raised the prospect of criminals fathering children from behind bars simply to demand they be let out.

He told the newspaper: "The public are sick to the back teeth of the human rights of criminals being put before the rights of decent law-abiding people, victims and taxpayers. The whole point of being in prison is that your liberties are taken away from you. What's the point of locking people up if this pseudo-court, with the help of Ken Clarke, is going to give them all their rights back?"

A request under the Freedom of Information Act revealed that one prisoner was allowed fertility treatment this year. It is not known who is funding the treatment.

Another five applications are still being considered by the Justice Secretary.

<!-- yog-llu -->

These are two separate cases Jim - the father of five is not getting the IVF.

Without more details - it's kind of hard to make a judgement. ie - if the father of five's wife had cancer - then maybe there would be cause for compassion.

I know how people react to these things, and I'm the same. But you really need the whole story to give judgement, and I haven't seen it yet.

The way I see it - he could have killed someone whilst offending, and what about the rights of that persons children? But as I've said above - we really need the whole story.

"It comes after convicted criminal Wayne Bishop used the act to successfully appeal against an eight month prison sentence for burglary and dangerous driving.

Tory MP Philip Davies said the combined impact of the two cases raised the prospect of criminals fathering children from behind bars simply to demand they be let out."

surely HE has breached his childrens humans rights and not enough consideration was given to the plight of his children when he took it upon himself to commit a crime !!

I can see this excuse being used by everyone now so they don't get punished !!!

Lynne(45), Steve(41) Panel Beater, Keanan(13) Mummy's Boy, Aleah(7) Wolf in Sheeps clothing. Not with us Jade(22), Emma(22) and my 2 gorgeous Grandson's 2yrs & 1yr and my new little Granddaughter born 10th Dec 2011 & Grandson born 29th Feb :(

Guest The Ropey HOFF
These are two separate cases Jim - the father of five is not getting the IVF.

Without more details - it's kind of hard to make a judgement. ie - if the father of five's wife had cancer - then maybe there would be cause for compassion.

I know how people react to these things, and I'm the same. But you really need the whole story to give judgement, and I haven't seen it yet.

The way I see it - he could have killed someone whilst offending, and what about the rights of that persons children? But as I've said above - we really need the whole story.

I read the intro and glanced at the age and i thought it was the same case, lol. i will look for the full details, but my gut feeling it won't make good reading, cheers.

I saw a bit on the news tonight - and they don't seem to be releasing many details. But they did say that in IVF case - the age of the woman and her ability to have children in the future would be an important consideration.

The whole point of being in prison is that your liberties are taken away from you. <!-- yog-llu -->

call me old fashioned, but this is what I believe.

He has no rights to a full set of rights anymore.

He threw that right away when he did the crime.

likewise, i dont think this man has any right to a PS3 in his cell.

http://www.news.com.au/national/ivan-milat-on-hunger-strike-over-playstation/story-e6frfkvr-1226056097963

I have friends who work who cant have a PS3, either financially or because of...ahem.. wife pressure.

She should move on from this deadbeat, not father his child.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
call me old fashioned, but this is what I believe.

He has no rights to a full set of rights anymore.

He threw that right away when he did the crime.

likewise, i dont think this man has any right to a PS3 in his cell.

http://www.news.com.au/national/ivan-milat-on-hunger-strike-over-playstation/story-e6frfkvr-1226056097963

I have friends who work who cant have a PS3, either financially or because of...ahem.. wife pressure.

She should move on from this deadbeat, not father his child.

Sorry to upset you further, but due to the old tv's being obsolete they have all been replaced by brand new plasmas with freeview channels ......... at least you know your hard earned taxes aren't wasted.

Sorry to upset you further, but due to the old tv's being obsolete they have all been replaced by brand new plasmas with freeview channels ......... at least you know your hard earned taxes aren't wasted.

Understandable seeing that the whole country is going digital :biglaugh:!

TRA Submitted 24/03/11,TRA Successful 18/04/11,WA SA Submitted 19/04/11,WA Approved 20/05/11,176 Visa lodged 20/05/11,Form 1100 to DIAC 22/06/11,CO Assigned 05/07/11,Medicals 19/9/11 Finalized 27/09/11,S.Africa+UK PCC sent to CO 6/10/11,VISA Granted 7/10/11!

Personally - I think if you banned smoking in prisons - you'd get a lot less crime.

I would think its the other way round, Healthier criminals = More crime!:biglaugh:

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Personally - I think if you banned smoking in prisons - you'd get a lot less crime.

The convicts are allowed to smoke in their cells because it is classed as their home and even though the Officers search the cells and it is classed as the Officers work place, they have to inhale second hand smoke, because convicts are given priority.

still not discovered the ages of the convict and his IVF partner ........ anyone know?

Guest mumof1

Hi there,

I agree you are all too quick to judge, I am a mum of one my partner is in prison for a crime he did not commit, time(age wise) is running out for me and have a history of women in my family going through menapause early in age,I'd like the option of ivf but am sad to see people all too quick to judge others lives!!!!!

Edited this out but decided to put it back.

We were refused IVF on the NHS. We attended 2 years of tests and appointments (only really 5 instances as the waiting lists are so long) before being told that we didn’t qualify as my wife’s BMI was slightly too high (this had never been mentioned as a criterion before this point).

Then, an anonymous whistle-blower from the hospital/PCT we’d been attending contacted us to say that we should have qualified but that Consultants were under pressure to favour some applicants over others. Apparently, being from the UK and in full employment wasn’t the ticket!

It turned out other people had been similarly mistreated and the incidents were featured on a UK TV current affair program. Obviously, nothing came of it.

I expect these people’s case to be fast-tracked, good luck to ‘em.

This is the way it is in the UK (and why we’ll never step foot back there ever again).

Guest guest59177
Cannot make ends meet? Have another kid and receive more in your welfare check!- DWP

So he is actually a good father looking out for his family like that.:biglaugh:

Puts a new twist to 'establishing oneself through husbandry' eh?

Guest guest59177

I also think that prison means you are locked up and denied access to many freedoms you would otherwise have. It gives you reason to reflect on what you have done and feel some of the pain you have caused others. Simple as.