176 lodged June 2011 Gang

Hey all, got our visas today. Chuffed to bits, had to poke them a couple of times after getting our meds and police checks so it seems the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

now the real work starts!

Massive congratulations. Next chaper beginning for you all now, x

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations matimage! bet it feels great. We finally had meds done on the 28th may, we have sent police checks off just waiting for them to come back. All meds finalised apart from mine, typical, my own fault because my glasses broke so didnt have any to take with me for the meds. They now want further test, so ive been today for eye test and imaging photo, my panel dr is hoping this will be enough info for them as doesnt want me to go back to where had meds done and pay panel dr 250 quid for him to do same tests as opticians. My panel drs from little aston birmingham shire health centres have been brilliant they were so good with kids while myself and hubby had our meds they looked after them for us and even managed to get the baby to sleep lol i would recommend them to anyone and are helping me now by trying to get them accept my tests without more being done to save me money, which i think is excellent as you would expect them to just want more money from me. Any how fingers crossed as its final step. x

Hey Guys,

Well This is it, our last hurdle and the hardest one ever, I have 4 days to go, and my emotions are flying high (hormones too). I know as soon as we land I will be okay, but the build up is horrible. We are saying goodbye to my parents tomorrow and my husbands monday, I have band all family from the airport. Wow time flys when when you are planning a dream.

Our next step is to get a house and make a home, by sept before our dog and baby arrive.

Good luck everyone, Keep in touch.

We will be living in the area of Rockingham, so i would love to say hello to any of you.

XXX Katy xx:err::cry::arghh::animal-dog::unsure::wubclub::twitcy:

Hi we shipped contents of a 2 bed apartment was about 700cub feet I think. Everything has to be wrapped up from washing machines to bed frames. I did'nt think we would have soo much but when u factor in all the stuff in the attic and bikes etc twas a fair bit. If I can help out in any way let me know. :)

Hiya Sinead

I hope you dong mind me asking, what kind of stuff are you shipping? Just trying to get an idea of how much space I'll need and cost... Hoping to go to pert in oct...

Thanks a mill

Sara.

Congratulations matimage! bet it feels great. We finally had meds done on the 28th may, we have sent police checks off just waiting for them to come back. All meds finalised apart from mine, typical, my own fault because my glasses broke so didnt have any to take with me for the meds. They now want further test, so ive been today for eye test and imaging photo, my panel dr is hoping this will be enough info for them as doesnt want me to go back to where had meds done and pay panel dr 250 quid for him to do same tests as opticians. My panel drs from little aston birmingham shire health centres have been brilliant they were so good with kids while myself and hubby had our meds they looked after them for us and even managed to get the baby to sleep lol i would recommend them to anyone and are helping me now by trying to get them accept my tests without more being done to save me money, which i think is excellent as you would expect them to just want more money from me. Any how fingers crossed as its final step. x

That's bad luck Lesley. Hope they accept the stuff you sent them, they seem very thorough. All we did was stand in front of the letter chart and read the letters one eye at a time and the doctor had a little look in each ??

Just to let all the June 2011 guys know we arrived in Oz on Saturday 9th June. We flew from Hethrow with Singapore airlines (second time with them and won't use anyone else) arrived in Melbourne early Saturday morning, picked up our hire car and drove to Geelong (about 1 hour).

First impressions are good. We like our holiday let which we have for 4 weeks we are located at Eastern Beach near the botanical gardens about 3 mins from the beach. It takes about 10 mins to walk into the centre of Geelong where there is loads of shops to choose from. Westfield is the main shopping centre and has every thing you would need.

We are hedding to Melbourne in the morning to activate our bank accounts with NAB and we have to go to AHPRA to show my wifes ID so she can start looking for a job.

I will post again when we have more info, but for now good luck to all the pepole who applied in June 2011 who are here or about to come over. Hope you enjouy as much as we have.

Edited by Nikko

Ola all,

Cannot believe this time last year we all jumped in and made the plunge, there seems to be a very high success rate of applications to visas, only 1 got turned down (from what I remember) were off this Nov/Dec, we have to go before Dec 13th of our visa wont be valid!

This last year has been pretty mad, so, Last June we applied for our visa, all good. July, Aug lived on PIO, September came and I hated my job as a Joiner and changed career to become a Project Surveyor (Money was a factor but the firm I worked for offered no career progression) So changed job, all good. Come October our second baby was born, a boy this time, all good. November comes and I start a degree in Quantity Surveying all good but pretty tired working full time and studying at least 3 hours a night, every night and having a new baby and still getting my head round my new job. December comes and we get a CO! get police checks and add our boy to the vise, fine, Jan get meds done and have to tell the CO of my job change! and the fact I am no longer working in the job/field I applied for! misses meds get referred.....

1 week later Visa granted. Sigh!

some 6 months on I though I better pop my head back in the forum to say hello so hello all!

Anyone moving to Perth/Freo????

Cheers

JTC

Its so exciting to hear how everyone is getting on. It only seems like yesterday I was asking Chardy to add me to the June list on the 30th of June, and today I am sitting my living room in Perth typing.

We have been here nearly 16 weeks, and it feels like it has been so much longer. All going well so far, long may it continue!

Donna x

6 weeks in........

Hey all, it's great to hear all the updates. Well we have now been here for just over 6 weeks!!! It feels about 6 months but not in a bad way! We are loving it here in WA, its amazing! We are still in our holiday let in Beaconsfield which is 5 mins down the road from Freo. We are here until Monday 2nd July. Over the weekend we applied for two houses, and yesterday we were offered both! You hear all these horror stories about the rental crisis and 50 people going for one house. However, we have found it pretty easy seeing as we got the first two we applied for! It may help its winter now so it may be a better time of year to get one. It's different here as there are a lot of open viewings but it can be a good thing as you can see what has an open viewing and just turn up. They can be during working hours but we found they were mainly at the end of the day between 4.30 and 5pm. We decided to go for a house in South Lake. It's lovely and modern as has recently been renovated, and has a large garden. In fact it had two separate yards out the back! It also has a lovely undercover alfresco area.....it's going to be great! We plan to get an above ground swimming pool too for the summer.

Job wise;

Well finding a job here is like finding sand at the beach! My partner is a welder/fabricator (or boilermaker as they call it here, but no he does not make boilers!), he has secured work with a major mining company. He is earning over 3 times more than in the UK, plus unlimited overtime. He loves his job. I am currently temping but have had no problems getting the work. I work in accounts/Finance and walked into Hays recruitment one Friday afternoon after being here for a couple of weeks, they then called me up on the following Monday to start my first temp job that day! I was at my first temp job for two weeks, as soon as that ended on the one Friday I already had my next temp assignment arranged for the following week. I am still at my 2nd temp job and should be there until at least the end of July. I love it, the office is so relaxed and flexible. We have even enjoyed a glass of wine on Friday afternoons. Plus they all go out for lunches and every Friday is also dress down day. There is plenty of permanent work in my sector too but I have not been a temp before so I want to do this for now so I can try different places, plus I love the flexibility and the fact I do not have to commit to any one company. I was also not sure where our long term rental was going to be. Both my temp jobs have been in the City.

Meeting people;

Since we have been here we have met up with quite a few couples, mainly through perthpoms. It's been great meeting new people and I have also been meeting up with another girl whose boyfriend works FIFO. I have also met people through work. You do have to put yourself out there and make the effort to meet people. I enjoy meeting new people so it's no problem for me. Also for the women in Perth or moving to Perth I have just joined this group which another girl introduced me to at work, they have social events at least 3 times a month. They have hired a cinema for this Saturday so I am going to go along with the girl from work, here's the link http://www.meetup.com/Young-Women-in-Perth/

Night life;

Well guess what....WA does have nightlife! Plus endless beer gardens to enjoy with heaters for the winter, and great restaurants with great views. Drive through Freo on the weekend and the cappuccino strip is packed! There is always outdoor entertainment on the streets, and just a general good vibe. I went to Villa nightclub in Northbridge on Saturday with another couple from pomsinoz who I met in the UK before we all left, and we saw DJ Ian Carey. It was amazing, in line with Ibiza if not better! Such a fantastic vibe and the music was amazing.

Getting around;

Transport here is very good. You can get the last train from Perth City at 4am on all lines on a Saturday night for those who like to party, plus at that time it's free to get everyone home. Trains in the day time are very regular, clean and cheap. Buses also seem pretty regular where we are based currently. Taxis are not bad, but you have to direct them or give them the address for their sat nav. Do not expect them to know where they are going, you’re expected to tell them. This has proved difficult for myself after a night out without my other half....I get a bit confused as I have not driven on the Aussie roads yet so I guess I now understand people at home who don't drive who find it difficult to direct! My partner had his car imported and it arrived last week, it can take 4-6 weeks to go through clearance. We currently have a car hire from backpackers car rentals in South Fremantle. It's only $175 a week and that's with insurance waiver etc... They are not new cars but they have character!

Keeping in touch;

The hardest thing about leaving was saying goodbye to family at the airport; I have never been through such emotion in all my life. We were both so upset going through departures and I think the first week here was the hardest. Likely because of jet lag, the emotions of the airport, oh and catching a bug just before I left so I was not feeling 100%. However, once you get here it gets pretty easy and the sadness at the airport just passes so quickly. To be honest I don't really miss family and friends now I am here. We probably talk more now than we did when I lived back in the UK! Skype and facebook make everything easy etc... We brought iphones since arriving and they are fantastic for keeping in touch. We got pay as you go sim cards from Woolworths with Optus. They are brilliant, $29 and you get $250 to other Optus networks which a lot of people here seem to be on, plus $250 to any network. You also get 5GB of data. It lasts 45 days before you have to top up again. I can't seem to use it all up! Great value.

In a nutshell;

Generally....well on Sunday it was a lovely sunny day even though it's winter. Dan and I drove up the coast. We stopped at Cottlesloe beach first and then took a drive up to Hillary's boat harbour. Everywhere looked so beautiful and we just say to one another we can't believe we live here and how lucky we are. Life here for us is really good and we have opportunities here we never had in the UK. For a youngish couple who are wanting start up in life.....our future is looking very bright! :jiggy:

Lucy . X

Evening everyone!

Hope you're all well.

I'm just in the process of filling in our 176 visa application in the hopes of submitting before 30th June. We have got to the page where it asks about you or any other applicant ever holding a visa. Basically my husband has previously visited Oz both on tourist and working holiday visa and myself as a tourist. However, due to passport renewals we have no idea of the exact date of issue or the visa reference number.

Has anyone else had this, how did you get past it as it doesn't let you carry on without the required info??!! Help! Please.

Thanks

Ali

• 1 month later...

Hi all not sure how many of you still come on this forum but want to share our news weve finally got our visa this morning!!!!!! weve been through some ups and downs so to get that message this morning was amazing but strange aswell after waiting many years to get to this stage. Cant wait to get a move on. House now going on market and early 2013 well be on our way (wanted one more xmas in uk with family) thank you all for advice and support x :laugh:

Hello All

Just wanted to share with the june 2011 gang....

TRA 2007, WA ss 25 May 2011, lodged June 2011, medicals 12 August 2011, Police cert 17 August 2011, VISA GRANTED 25 July 2012 :biggrin:

Thanks

DAVE & Carmel

Welcome, and congrats on your long awaited visa.

When are you guys looking to be off ??

Justin

Welcome, and congrats on your long awaited visa.

When are you guys looking to be off ??

Justin

Thanks Justin.... We have been given the 3rd November 2012 as our first entry date or we can do our meds and police check again and have it extended for 12 months.... we have been thinking of going for a reccie in oct 2012 to validate then we think just go then and stay then we think extend and prepare for the move in Jan.... we just cant make up our minds and we have to decide for tues next week so our case officer can send the right details to us.... Any thoughts on the best way forward would be much apreciated....

Thanks

Dave & Carmel

congratulations x

Must be a trend. I have been on a few times but never really posted as I really didn't think our agent would get us through. We had a horrible time of it. BUT - we finally got the visa this morning. We are so excited. 19 months of hoping and and waiting and finally its here!!! Have to be in Oz by 10th July. Now just have to plan the move.

Congrats to all who have it and to those who still are waiting - there is hope!!!!:biggrin:

Hi all not sure how many of you still come on this forum but want to share our news weve finally got our visa this morning!!!!!! weve been through some ups and downs so to get that message this morning was amazing but strange aswell after waiting many years to get to this stage. Cant wait to get a move on. House now going on market and early 2013 well be on our way (wanted one more xmas in uk with family) thank you all for advice and support x :laugh:

Congrats with the Visa Grant we only saw your post after we had put ours on.... its a top feeling after the stress and waiting it is finally worth it....Good luck....

Must be a trend. I have been on a few times but never really posted as I really didn't think our agent would get us through. We had a horrible time of it. BUT - we finally got the visa this morning. We are so excited. 19 months of hoping and and waiting and finally its here!!! Have to be in Oz by 10th July. Now just have to plan the move.

Congrats to all who have it and to those who still are waiting - there is hope!!!!:biggrin:

Congrats and good luck with the move....