Offered Sponsorship, what's the best route ?

Guest JessandMatt

Guest JessandMatt

Hi Guys

I've been offered a job in Brisbane(Pending References) they have said Employer Sponsorship is not a problem but I'll have to pay the fees...the options they have given us are :

I obtain a Working Holiday Visa and just come on that initially then after a 3 month probation they'll start the Sponsorship process or they just sponsor from the start but if things don't work out I'll have to head back to the UK sharpish.

A mate of my has said on a WHV you pay 'Emergency Tax' which is quite hefty ?,. The salary is 100K.

I know what the DIAC timeline says for Sponsorship visas but realistically how long does it take once started ?

Please let me know your thoughts

Thanks

Jess and Matt

If you've moved out on a WHV, you can still be classed as resident for tax purposes. So although you may get put on emergency tax, you'll get a lot of it back when you do your tax return. I got a huge chunk of tax back when I did my first tax return on a WHV, and this was before I'd put in any applications for further visas.

I'm assuming that by "sponsorship" you're talking the temporary 457 visa? If you're thinking of moving permanently, you might want to get it in writing that they will be willing to sponsor you for a permanent visa as and when you are eligible for one. If you are eligible now, that would be the best route to go down, with either a WHV or 457 visa to get you out there and working in the meantime.

If you have the option, I probably wouldn't get a WHV first, let them do the sponsorship. Then if anything happens in the future, even a year down the line you have saved your WHV and assuming you will still be entitled it (i.e. not too old by then), it might just be the thing that helps you out in a hole. Don't waste a WHV they are a once in a lifetime visa.

The employer should be picking up the costs, are they expecting you to pay for everything?

Guest JessandMatt

Yeah they have said it ll be down to us to cover the costs :(, we ll be over 30 next year so will be just outside te WHV range, we have a 175 that's been in for about 1 year now cat 3 so we ll just be passing the time untill that comes through, DIAC seems to be moving through the backlog at a decent pace now