CHOICE say Australia is a rip off

Guest siamsusie

Guest guest36762
:biggrin: Guys & Gals, please can we stay on topic please.

Sorry susie, let's get back to discussing what a rip off Australia is:wink:

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest siamsusie
Yes - sorry Susie - my fault - had just had a $3 coffee...rush of blood to the head.:embarrassed:

:wubclub:Nice to see you Fleabo

$3:elvis: do you find those prices acceptable .. thats equivalent to a bottle of Port on Grays!

Guest siamsusie
7-11 in Collins St for $1 per cup.

Made by a barrista too. cheapest in Melbourne.

Barista coffee is excellent! $1 isnt bad going at all!

I actually get lost on the subject of 'rip off Britain' or 'rip off Australia' or 'rip off anywhere' for that matter.

for example bananas in the UK they aren't that expensive but I haven't found a good tasting banana for about a year now, they go off within a day or so of buying and whilst 'cheap', I think this is a rip off. I don't buy them any more. Now I understand bananas are expensive in Australia, so it can be argued they are a rip off because of price.

I bought an imac for £1200 the best damn computer I have owned after being a PC user my whole life, I realise now I was being ripped off buying a new 'cheap' PC every year.

I fit kitchens in my line of work they can be anything from £10,000 to £140,000. Just based on the retail value who's being ripped off, the customer at £10,000 or the customer at £140,000?

apart from basic food, shelter and clothing what else do you need? you don't need anything but you do want the other luxuries in life 50 inch TV's, I have a mere 26 inch! brand new cars, holidays, the list goes on.

Why not take a flask of coffee to work, rather than buy a coffee. Make sandwiches rather than buy processed rubbish.

Buying consumables is a luxury that we no longer deem a luxury. Don't the Japanese have reduced tax but wack tax on to luxury goods? therefore paying more tax on more consumerism and less if you live a modest lifestyle. I m not 100% certain on this so please correct me if I m wrong.

Guest guest37336
I actually get lost on the subject of 'rip off Britain' or 'rip off Australia' or 'rip off anywhere' for that matter.

for example bananas in the UK they aren't that expensive but I haven't found a good tasting banana for about a year now, they go off within a day or so of buying and whilst 'cheap', I think this is a rip off. I don't buy them any more. Now I understand bananas are expensive in Australia, so it can be argued they are a rip off because of price.

I bought an imac for £1200 the best damn computer I have owned after being a PC user my whole life, I realise now I was being ripped off buying a new 'cheap' PC every year.

I fit kitchens in my line of work they can be anything from £10,000 to £140,000. Just based on the retail value who's being ripped off, the customer at £10,000 or the customer at £140,000?

apart from basic food, shelter and clothing what else do you need? you don't need anything but you do want the other luxuries in life 50 inch TV's, I have a mere 26 inch! brand new cars, holidays, the list goes on.

Why not take a flask of coffee to work, rather than buy a coffee. Make sandwiches rather than buy processed rubbish.

Buying consumables is a luxury that we no longer deem a luxury. Don't the Japanese have reduced tax but wack tax on to luxury goods? therefore paying more tax on more consumerism and less if you live a modest lifestyle. I m not 100% certain on this so please correct me if I m wrong.

Hi Ducktape.

You may or may not be right on the other examples, but reference the highlighted part you are very right.

We seem to deem it a 'right' to 'have' 'need' certain things in our lives, we have well and truly lost any semblance of balance in this particular sphere of human nature.

Cheers Tony.:wink:

:wubclub:Nice to see you Fleabo

$3:elvis: do you find those prices acceptable .. thats equivalent to a bottle of Port on Grays!

You are right Susie. $3 almost gets you a good bottle of Port of Grays in 'Rip off Australia'.

Case closed.:biglaugh:

Guest guest30038
You are right Susie. $3 almost gets you a good bottle of Port of Grays in 'Rip off Australia'.

Case closed.:biglaugh:

Or half a lemon up in the Whitsundays :goofy:

Case re-opened :wink:

EBay for OZ, I take it you have been burnt?

No not at all, I was being sarcastic. I have sobered up now though...I would recommend trying Grays online when you get here, particularly for every day wine. Its good value if you choose and bid wisely.

Cheers.

Guest siamsusie
No not at all, I was being sarcastic. I have sobered up now though...I would recommend trying Grays online when you get here, particularly for every day wine. Its good value if you choose and bid wisely.

Cheers.

:yes:I second that, Fleabo introduced me to it, never looked back.

Guest guest36762

Cheers.

can you give us an example of stuff you've bought on there, price etc, fleaboy?

Guest guest36762
Case of 12 Mclaren Vale Chardonnay $35 once delivered. $50 for a case of 12 Barossa Shiraz.

Cheers.

wow! that's pretty amazing value, is it alright quality?

I looked at beers on there and they all seemed to be fixed price, and not that cheap either

Guest chris955

It's OK, I'm here and it means nothing to me either :biggrin:

Ok share the Joke, for all us that are not in OZ!

wow! that's pretty amazing value, is it alright quality?

I looked at beers on there and they all seemed to be fixed price, and not that cheap either

I have bought one duff case out of about a dozen boxes. Fortunately it was a red so does OK for cooking.

The beer does not offer value for money - you can buy it cheaper at the bottle shop.

Guest guest37336
Or half a lemon up in the Whitsundays :goofy:

Case re-opened :wink:

OK, OK, Kev, that's enough. I thought we had come to an agreement that any talk of a certain 'Citrus' fruit were only to be discussed in PM's, bit like Bananas and boats, (apologies to Bob if he is looking)

You know what it's like, talk about starvation, riots, race, religion, and we get a fairly balanced argument,:goofy:, but when a certain citrus fruit is mentioned the debate gets rather heated and argumentative, I expected more from you young man.

But having said this, what do you reckon about this for my next avatar, 'Shave The Lemming' I reckon sounds quite good,:shocked:.

lemon_peel.jpg

lemon_peel.jpg

Guest guest30038
OK, OK, Kev, that's enough. I thought we had come to an agreement that any talk of a certain 'Citrus' fruit were only to be discussed in PM's, bit like Bananas and boats, (apologies to Bob if he is looking)

You know what it's like, talk about starvation, riots, race, religion, and we get a fairly balanced argument,:goofy:, but when a certain citrus fruit is mentioned the debate gets rather heated and argumentative, I expected more from you young man.

But having said this, what do you reckon about this for my next avatar, 'Shave The Lemming' I reckon sounds quite good,:shocked:.

Or "half the lemon" sounds better Tony :biglaugh: Oops! I've done it again! I'll behave now mate....................anyways......................what about the price of bananas eh? I can't live without them and it's sending me broke :cry: