suburb near perth for a young family?

scotsmum

we are in the process of moving to perth, hubby will be starting a company based in perth and im looking for advice on suburbs to look for houses.. we are almost 30, have a 2 yr old and would ideally like to be near train to perth if poss? there is just soooo much to think about!!!!

We are near Winchester (south of England). We have a few contacts also and everyone of them suggest SOR so we'll start looking there although I'm reading some horror stories on cost of living!!

Where abouts in Ireland are you, I used to live in Cork (as a child)?

Yeah I heard sor is better, Fremantle sounds lovely :0) were coming from Meath, but originally from Glasgow, came to Ireland 7 years ago! Were just at the very start of our move, I'm still coming to terms with leaving friends and my dogs behind!!! Iv heard mixed reports about cost of living bit I suppose Ireland is more expensive than uk so

Might not b such a change for us?!

most people comming to perth look at south of the river because they are told its near the beach and cheaper than north of the river they are mainly looking at mandurah , secret harbour, port kennedy and rockingham , the reality is what we k now as the southern suburbs are also alfred cove , applecross, ardross, ascot [ just those few suburbs ive just named especially applecross are ultra expensive ] theres also booragoon , bicton , brentwood , east freo , manning , salter point , mount pleasant ,palmyra,, rossmoyne ,winthrop , fremantle . again expensive suburbs . of course there are also basic levels south of the river cheaper to buy and rent ,

if your looking for space try looking at east of the river its in the hills or foothills some areas are quite close to the train station , guildford has a bit of history and was one of the forst settlements in perth it is by the river , kalamunda is another suburb to look at , try darlington, boya, greenmount ,helena valley ,or forrestfield , high wycombe,jane brook, viveasch ,

personal question but it will depend on your budget a great deal. We live NOR and love it. I would use some markers on a map if you contemplated North. Three main roads heading out of the city are Wanerroo Road, Mitchell Freeway and Marmion Ave. Marmion is closest to the beach, Mitchell is in the middle and Wanerroo road is North east. If you can get a suburb west of Wanerroo it beautiful and closest to the beach at marmion is best (but 800k to 1m aud). IMHO north of Joondalup is cheaper but a lot of brits and it wasnt for us. The better schools for kids are from the north west coast at Marmion over to the Mitchell freeway. Look at Sorrento, Poynter, Davallia, Marmion, Carine, Duncraig......Although house prices in these catchments are probably 600k to 900k. We rented in this catchment area and our kids go to school here but found with the plummeting exchange rate we couldnt afford to buy in this area. However, here schools do not believe in moving children out once they are in so we bough just east of the Wannerroo road in Greenwood and have been very happy. My advice, get a good map and remember to stay away from the very dry areas that are bush fire risks these include areas north and south of the river. Good luck

i didnt cover north of the river as some one said they heard south of the river is better lol i live north of the river in beaumaris and i didnt cover west of the river as lets face it peppermint grove etc ill live there when my names rothschild !!!

Guest lizziebumble

Hi me and my husband 6 year old daughter and 20 month old son are also going to perth we have been before so have an idea what it is like we rae going to live near family in the success are close to train station to get to town cwntre and local school and shopping mall close by very nice new up and comeing area

• 1 year later...
Guest Samtheman

Hi guys,

Me, my wife and 2 children (3&5yrs) moved out to Perth Sept 2011. We moved to Greenwood North of the river. Greenwood and nearby suburbs Kingsley and Woodvale are great for young families. It is 10mins from the beach, 15mins from the city and 20mins from the swan valley. The Mitchell freeway & train stations are close. So commuting into the city is easy.

You will find that many people have a strong opinion on the north/south thing here in Perth. In reality I think there is very little to chose between them based simply on that criteria.

What you need to do is think about what you want your suburb to be like?

A brand new suburb that looks like a movie set?

A suburb where all the houses look almost identical?

Somewhere that has large established trees at the roadside?

Somewhere that actually has a highstreet and atown centre?

A place that only has large shopping centres?

There are a mixture of each of these all over the place and what ever you do, it is impossible to judge a whole area by it's name alone.

You say your husband's job is going to be in Perth, but where abouts? Will it be near a railway station, for example?

Mandurah is lovely, and you can get a decent house for a decent price, however ifyou want to stay closer to perth I'd suggest west to wanneroo and joondalup.

Our favourite (and looking forward to move there) is Burns Beach.

A friend of mine send me this on Facebook :cool:

155340_4758564052074_138630829_n.jpg

155340_4758564052074_138630829_n.jpg

Its such a subjective choice really - for us Joondalup and Mandurah for example were too far as we wanted to be nearer the city. We're in an older suburb (not everyone's cup of tea if they want new houses/new estate), but we're in a great location, 20 mins from a lot of things, close to transport links, freeway, easy to get to Freo and lovely places like Point Walter, Point Heathcote. It has a great community feel, we have local shops, we're a short journey away from Garden City, cinemas, shops etc.,

For me, one of the things is that I only have a 25 min commute to work against the flow of traffic.

We are also from Fife, Scotland early 30s with 2 girls aged 2 and 8. We are moving over in April. We were in Australia in May and we really loved a place called Butler. It is north of the river about 50 minute drive from perth and 20 mins from Joondalup. There is great beaches nearby. The houses are cheaper there and they are extending the railway line up there which will run down to Perth. There is also a shopping centre being built there and new schools..Worth a look at.

Decide what it is you want you suburb to offer. For example, we have no children, so not only is the absence of a school not bother us, but is a plus. We wanted to be a short walk from the beach and we wanted a quiet area. Then, decide on budget. That will probably narrow it down to a few places.

We are also from Fife, Scotland early 30s with 2 girls aged 2 and 8. We are moving over in April. We were in Australia in May and we really loved a place called Butler. It is north of the river about 50 minute drive from perth and 20 mins from Joondalup. There is great beaches nearby. The houses are cheaper there and they are extending the railway line up there which will run down to Perth. There is also a shopping centre being built there and new schools..Worth a look at.

Yep I reckon Butler is well worth a look at. Some nice new houses up there that look good value for money and I reckon will increase in value. They are carrying on building way past Butler now and once the freeway and train is up that far it will increase in value. Looks a bit drab at the moment as the way they build here is just clear all the bush till it looks like a sandpit and then build. It takes a while for the trees and greenery to come back again. Not as long as you'd think though, Beaumaris and Iluka were sandpits when we got here and they look established suburbs now.

Iluka is lovely, with some fantastic houses, way out of our price bracket though.

Yep I reckon Butler is well worth a look at. Some nice new houses up there that look good value for money and I reckon will increase in value. They are carrying on building way past Butler now and once the freeway and train is up that far it will increase in value. Looks a bit drab at the moment as the way they build here is just clear all the bush till it looks like a sandpit and then build. It takes a while for the trees and greenery to come back again. Not as long as you'd think though, Beaumaris and Iluka were sandpits when we got here and they look established suburbs now.

Iluka is lovely, with some fantastic houses, way out of our price bracket though.

Once the freeway and train are up there...! Bet the freeways not there until 2020 at least. When a mate of mine moved to perth in 2000 they said the freeway would be up to yanchep by 2004 . It's 25km short of that today

Once the freeway and train are up there...! Bet the freeways not there until 2020 at least. When a mate of mine moved to perth in 2000 they said the freeway would be up to yanchep by 2004 . It's 25km short of that today

When we moved up here in 92 the freeway stopped at Hepburn Ave and there were no trains. There was nothing from Beaumaris to Mindarie, just bushland. Marmion Ave was a quite one lane road. Look at it all now. Obviously got to take a few years bit it will happen.

Guest WeirdNev

We've just arrived with a 1 yr old son, and after a month near Rockingham, we've ended up in Kensington, just south of the river between South Perth and Burswood. I work in Subiaco, so its 45 mins on the bus, but would be only 30 to the CBD. We found the very southern suburbs, whilst the houses are large, there is not much going on, and we wanted to be nearer the centre, where we could get public transport easily. Whilst I really wanted to be nearer the beach, lets face it, there isn't time after work anyway with a little one to get to bed. Yes, we've ended up with a smaller house, but don't plan to spend much of our free time there, so not a problem. In our month in Rockingham, we've found that Highway 2 is hideous, rush hour lasts for hours, the driving is dreadful, and I can't imagine how long it would take to commute into the city - an hour and a half? The trains are good, providing you live close enough to walk to the station, but then you'd be nowhere near the beach!