Primary School Reputations: Hillarys, Sorrento & surrounding areas

racht

Hi,

I wondered if anyone would be able to help me....

We are relocating from Melbourne to Perth at the end of the year. We are looking to settle in the Hillarys, Sorrento area. I have spoken to both primary schools, both of which were very helpful and friendly. I know both have catchment areas. Basically the school we choose will therefore determine where we live.

Does anyone know what sort of reputations these schools have, or schools in surrounding neighbourhoods? Do any of you have kids in these schools? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Rach :wubclub:

Hi Kate!!!

Yeah, we've sold house but dont settle until December so plenty of time to organise ourselves and kids can see out the school year. Hope you are all settled (love the pics of the area).

Thanks for the link, you're a star. Will have a look now.

Rach x

Guest The Pom Queen

That's great news, congrats on the sale and it's good having such a long settlement gives you time to get organised. Have you visited Perth?

Sorrento Primary and Marmion Primary are both exceptional. I haven't heard as good reports about Hillarys Primary. Springfield Primary in Kallaroo is a good little school. Steer clear of both Mullaloo schools, at some stage I think they will combine the 2 and that is never good. Further north Ocean Reef, Beaumaris and Connolly Primary schools are all good.

We too are moving from Melbourne to Perth in the coming months. Very excited. We are aiming for either Woodvale, or Carramar/Tapping.

Good luck with the move.

What made you leave Melbourne?

Sorrento Primary and Marmion Primary are both exceptional. I haven't heard as good reports about Hillarys Primary. Springfield Primary in Kallaroo is a good little school. Steer clear of both Mullaloo schools, at some stage I think they will combine the 2 and that is never good. Further north Ocean Reef, Beaumaris and Connolly Primary schools are all good.

Thanks for the info northernbird, really helpful. It's hard when you don't know anyone local to ask and given that the area you live in will determine the school, we would rather get as much info up front as possible. Really appreciate it.

Northernpommy, that's a coincidence, we live in Sandhurst, the sister golf course development to yours, and are also Northerners :-) While we are happy in Melbourne, we just feel it isnt as much a life change as we would like from the UK. We love it in the summer but the winter is another matter! Also we figured Australia is a mighty big place and would like to experience a bit more of it before settling. How about you? And whereabouts in the UK are you from? Perhaps you could PM me and we can swap stories :-)

Thanks again for your replies.

Rach x

Hi, my kids go to Poynter in South Duncraig. Marmion and Sorrento schools are also very good. Sorrento has the edge on Sports for all three of these schools. Hillarys school is good but I think these others are better. Also Davallia is a good school. Carine Primary has gotten very big and not good reports on new head teacher. You also need to look at which High schools these primarys feed into... Poynter, Davallia, Marmion and Carine Primary schools all feed into Carine High School which has an excellent reputation for a government school. (You can see results on My School website and also published in The West). Not sure which High School Sorrento feeds to but if it it Padbury I have heard it is closing. Fantastic private high school in Sorrento is Sacred Heart but you practically need a letter from the Pope to get in there. St Stephens high school in Duncraig is good, but mammoth waiting lists. St Marks at Whitfords now do an entrance exam so a possibility maybe. However, I have been to Carine High a few times now and met the Head Paul Ganderton I think his name is and he seems fantastic, done the tour and I am very happy for my children to feed through to there along with the majority of their school mates. Good luck.

Thank you so much for this info jojo68. Very helpful. When I spoke to Sorrento they said they usually feed to Duncraig High School but that they were about the zone it and so they were all a bit up in the air. Hillarys said they usually feed to Padbury but they are closing so they thought it would be Duncraig (although if it is going to be zoned I guess they wont be). Next year our kids will be in Grades 1 & 3 so I am trying not to stress too much at this stage about High Schools. They may have changed zoning etc by the time we get to that stage. Great to know about the primary info. Thanks for telling me about the other schools too, gives us more options. Rach x

Yes I thought that was the case but wasnt sure. However, time does fly. It will be interesting to see what happens at Duncraig Senior High. Two years ago they went independent and outperformed all the other govt high schools in the area, they also got better results than St Stephens. They had a very good head teacher who subsequently retired. This year they didnt get the results and Carine Senior High achieved the best results (apart from Churchlands High School which is always no. 1). Not sure what the new head teacher is like but by the time yours get older you would be able to see how Duncraig S.H .has been performing. I have heard that when Padbury closes the children will go to either duncraig s.h or warwick s.h......so goodness knows where they are going to put them all. Personally i still think Carine has the edge over Duncraig. Duncraig S.H. is running out of space and there are classrooms in corridors etc... they manage it well but I wasn't over enthused. Any of those other primarys I mentioned tho, all good. If you have any other questions that may crop up I will be happy to give my humble opinion.

Guest digc

Hi,

I have a daughter in the last year at Poynter Primary and she settled very well. My other daughter is in year 9 at Duncraig High and again has settled well and has moved into their academic extension programme. We looked at both Duncraig and Carine and liked both but were able to let my daughter chose as there was space at both. We also looked around a few of the primary schools but felt happiest with Poynter. So my advice is to visit a few and see what you think.

Hope that helps, Diane :biggrin:

Hi Diane

Thanks for the reply. I think we will narrow it down to about 2 or 3 suburbs/schools and then just visit them all when we arrive, then choose a house in that suburb.

Really appreciate everyone's input. Certainly makes it easier to focus on certain areas. Thanks everyone.

Rach x