Book & Covers, Judgements, Personas, etc.

Guest guest37336

Gothic Rose's post is great. I grew up in West Yorkshire in the 80s and was well aware of the thriving goth scene. A great contrast to the 'townies' I was bullied by at scholl, I found the goths to be pleasant, respectful, peaceful folk. Sophie Lancaster's murder was horrific, thank goodness her boyfriend survived and the thugs that attacked them have been brought to justice. I'm reminded of being on a bus a few years ago in Liverpool, overhearing two scallies talking about someone they'd seen on the pavement - "Ey, look it's a goth, let's bang him!" - sickening.

I hope the S.O.P.H.I.E campaign, in Sophie Lancaster's memory, helps people of all ages not to be afraid to be 'different'. Certainly in Paisley, we are seeing a lot more kids with the 'goth-lite' look. It actually feels a lot safer in the town centre in the evening with a large 'goth' presence, rather than the huge, aggressive ned gangs we used to see!

My own look these days is tiki/surf wear, though I've never surfed! I love bright hibiscus prints, I have a few 'girlie' hawaiian shirts too. I love stuff by Animal, Rip Curl and Mantaray. Perhaps more suited to Brissie than Scotland I think, but I wear that stuff here almost as a form of escapism!

Guest guest37336
Gothic Rose's post is great. I grew up in West Yorkshire in the 80s and was well aware of the thriving goth scene. A great contrast to the 'townies' I was bullied by at scholl, I found the goths to be pleasant, respectful, peaceful folk. Sophie Lancaster's murder was horrific, thank goodness her boyfriend survived and the thugs that attacked them have been brought to justice. I'm reminded of being on a bus a few years ago in Liverpool, overhearing two scallies talking about someone they'd seen on the pavement - "Ey, look it's a goth, let's bang him!" - sickening.

I hope the S.O.P.H.I.E campaign, in Sophie Lancaster's memory, helps people of all ages not to be afraid to be 'different'. Certainly in Paisley, we are seeing a lot more kids with the 'goth-lite' look. It actually feels a lot safer in the town centre in the evening with a large 'goth' presence, rather than the huge, aggressive ned gangs we used to see!

My own look these days is tiki/surf wear, though I've never surfed! I love bright hibiscus prints, I have a few 'girlie' hawaiian shirts too. I love stuff by Animal, Rip Curl and Mantaray. Perhaps more suited to Brissie than Scotland I think, but I wear that stuff here almost as a form of escapism!

Hi Paislylass.

Couldn't agree more with the highlighted issue, does us all good at times to 'escape' a little away from the normal worries and concerns.:yes:

Cheers Tony.

Hi Paislylass.

Couldn't agree more with the highlighted issue, does us all good at times to 'escape' a little away from the normal worries and concerns.:yes:

Cheers Tony.

Heehee, absolutely - that was the whole reason I got interested in tiki culture - essentially this relates to bars that started opening in post-war USA, with a polynesian theme. Characteristically the bars are decked out in South Pacific islands decor and should not have windows or TVs in order to 'protect' customers from the real world! There is such a bar nearby in Glasgow, though they recently got a telly in - tut tut! There's also Hula Bula in Perth, which I hope to visit when we get around to exploring Australia a bit :biggrin:

Also, we have a small bamboo-clad home bar in our kitchen, with a halogen heater nearby for fake 'sun' and some tiny palm trees. Now, that is escapism! I want to take the bar with us but fear the bamboo won't make it in :o(...

Guest guest37336
Heehee, absolutely - that was the whole reason I got interested in tiki culture - essentially this relates to bars that started opening in post-war USA, with a polynesian theme. Characteristically the bars are decked out in South Pacific islands decor and should not have windows or TVs in order to 'protect' customers from the real world! There is such a bar nearby in Glasgow, though they recently got a telly in - tut tut! There's also Hula Bula in Perth, which I hope to visit when we get around to exploring Australia a bit :biggrin:

Also, we have a small bamboo-clad home bar in our kitchen, with a halogen heater nearby for fake 'sun' and some tiny palm trees. Now, that is escapism! I want to take the bar with us but fear the bamboo won't make it in :o(...

Hi Paisley.

If you ever open such a bar in OZ, let me know, I'll be your first customer,:yes: bliss, pure bliss, away from the maddening crowd and all that.

Cheers Tony.:wink:

Guest Gothic Rose

Thank you to everyone who singled out my post. I appreciate anyone who takes a moment to consider what it's like in another persons shoes. No matter how any of us look on the outside there are some real basic fundementals that aught be shared no matter what your beliefs , culture or lifestyle. A basic human right is to be treated equally. So if people genuinely considered Am I treating others the way I'd want to be treated myself ? No matter who you are, or how you appear outwardly, there will have been times in your life, when you encountered a situation, where you really only wanted to be given a fair chance, wanted to be taken seriously & recognised for who you are on the inside.

There will always be a negetive portion within any society, which is unfortunate, but on the whole most people are not extremist haters of anything. if people communicate it removes the fear of the unknown. Take away fear & no one feels threatened & everyone is far safer & better off. I dont care what style people choose. I believe that everyone should be how they feel comfortable. I dont want others to do what I do, just as much as I dont want to be told to where jeans or dress down. We'd all feel intensely uncomfortable. & the whole point of " being oneself " is to be relaxed in your own skin whether that skin is tattooed/pierced or not, or your skin is old/young, fat/thin etc.

I believe whatever you do, the ripples of those actions go out, like a pebble thrown in a pond. So what you guys do by gaining insight into anothers lifestyle & taking the opinion of well it may not be for me, but fair enough for someone else. it makes a difference, because in the future you now have a frame of reference when someone raises the subject of Goth you can say theres more to it than a teenage phase & it may be dark but it is no more Evil than night is just because that is dark.

So thanks again for listening :notworthy:

Guest littlesarah

I think it's really sad that such bitter hatred is spewed forth in the name of any god. It does the writer and their religion no favours, and in fact tars the name of all forms of Christianity (if not all religions).

Anyhoo, as far as my book's cover is concerned, I have to be a bit 'mainstream' in my appearance at work. Not least in order to comply with infection control & OH&S requirements! But, I've recently gone back to colouring my hair dark red; which gives a glimpse of my personal style, I think. I don't think I can be categorised - I wear clothes that I like, and that I think suit me and how I feel. I have some fab print shirts and dresses, but also love jeans & Ts as much as the next person. For me, though, clothing can be hard to find - 4'10 and not skinny enough for kids clothes!!

Guest morrissey

i agree with the bird above.. i wouldt categorise myself either

some days im 'casual' and wear labels i suppose, some days i go out a little scruffy like some aging indie kid, lol sometimes like a student, sometimes formally.

i like change, i cant imagine being defined by the clothes i wear really.

i always wear good shoes though :) its a must

• 2 months later...
Guest guest37336

Was in London last night,:shocked::policeman: and had the the tube back about 12.30, central line, fairly quiet, but as I got on at Stratford a fella was already sitting down, HUGE, HUGE, tattoos everywhere, leather waistcoat, piecing everywhere, and Newcastle United shirt on, he looked like he could take King Kong on and give him a run for his money.

Anyway I sat about three seats down opposite to him, and as you do on tubes you have a quick shifty at your travelling companions.

All of a sudden up he piped with, 'This place has changed mate' (Can't do a strong Geordie Accent) but he was talking about the development of Stratford in readiness for the Olympics.

This conversation went on for around 20 minutes, politics, life, geordie land, football (he had been to the Newcastle/Arsenal match) and all in all had a great laugh with him,:notworthy: fella was a gent of the highest order, yes, he had a drink, but no way near p7ssed, just a really nice fella who took the time and patience to talk to a complete stranger and spend a few minutes with.:jiggy:

I would imagine most of the time he is viewed with a little, dare I say, 'Fear', after all he was HUGE, but he was one interesting fellas who at times had me in stitches.

As he got off he said to me, 'Nice meeting you mate, take care of yourself'.:notworthy:

Put a smile on my face compared to the other miserable barstewards I normally meet when in London.

Cheers Tony.:wink: