Interstate move

Guest MADTOM

Guest MADTOM

Hi

We are moving from Adelaide to Melbourne possibly July/ August.

How difficult would it be to get a long term rental in Melbourne whilst in Adelaide. Has anyone got personal experience of it? Would the estate agent be less likely to look on us as likely candidates?

I want to do this for several reasons:

• I am taking my son (5) out of his first school to move after only 3 months and want to get him settled immediately and into a long term school upon getting there. Not in temp accomodation then move elsewhere.
  • OH has no more A/L and again I don't want to take my son out of school to fly over on my own (with 2 small children) to look at properties
  • Expense - don't think we can afford it
  • The way they operate the viewing sysytem i.e. open viewings only on certain dates & allocated times its difficult to view without staying for any length of time
  • Will be expensive to store our furniture and have temp accomodation.

Any advice anyone.:confused:

Hi Lisa.

Its a difficult dilemma in your situation, but I think you will face the same problems as trying to get a rental whilst still overseas.

The market is still tight, so they prefer to offer face to face. Also, as you probably know, the pictures on the internet often dont show the rental as it is in reality in many cases.

Also, if you rush into it, you might end up in an area you dont like, and end up moving quickly, breaking the lease and another move which will cost money.

One question however, Is your hubby moving to Melbourne with his employer? If so, I would assume they would help with moving costs/time off to find accomodation etc.

Archived