Urgent Assistance - Please

Guest taylorvillas

Guest taylorvillas

Hi,

No idea where to start on this one so I am hoping someone can help.

We are due to travel to Australia tomorrow on a 457 visa, my partner has slipped on the stairs and broken her foot! We are not sure if its a dislocation or not yet which will require an operation. If this is the case she cannot travel. We have private healthcare which will kick in on the 29th May with my job.

What I am trying to work out is;

1. If she can travel will medicare cover her for the check ups needed and plaster removal?

I am not sure any insurance we have will cover the cancelled flight, as the accident has happened in the UK.

I would really appreciate some help as with all the usual stress with moving I am now totally sick with worry about what to do.

Many Thanks

Tracy

Guest GeorgeD

Holiday travel insurance normally starts when you take out the policy, so if something happens which stops you from travelling between taking it out and setting off, the cost of rearranging your trip (excuse the pun!) should be covered, as long as it wasn't a pre-exisiting condition which in this case should be fine. Check your policy.

You may decide not to tell them you were migrating if it was just holiday insurance you took out as the purpose of your journey isn't strictly speaking a holiday.

EDIT: Unlikely trave insurance would cover the cost of treatment if she travels now...their advice may be to wait until treatment is finished and then travel, as any treatment is for a condition which started prior to travel.

Guest taylorvillas

Thanks George, its an annual policy with our bank account I have checked and there is no specific point in there but calling them now.

Guest Ph0en1x

She will be attending at hospital for any treatment and for plaster removal. All of this treatment in hospital will be free of charge. Irrespective of residency status Aus and the UK has a reciprical agreement where treatment is free. When my MIL came over 3 years ago for a visit she broke her arm, all treatment was free of charge

Guest taylorvillas

Many thanks..I am not sure what the doctor will say re travel but thats great for when she does travel re medicare.

Guest Ph0en1x
Many thanks..I am not sure what the doctor will say re travel but thats great for when she does travel re medicare.

Hope everything works out

Guest siamsusie

Hi Tracy,

Sorry to hear this, goodness you can dine out on this story on years to come.

I would be asking for a "clearance letter to fly" from the hospital!, some airlines including British Airways will not allow travel for 48 hrs after the cast has been fitted on longer flights.

All the very best

Susie x

If flying in plaster is going to be a problem as Susie mentions, is it worth asking for it to be strapped and then get it seen and plasterd (if necessary) once here?

Either way good luck, and send our regards to your partner for a speedy recover.

Cal x

Guest taylorvillas

Thanks everyone, well the latest is singapore airlines will allow travel with a discharge letter, the hospital will give this but really prefer a 3 month timeframe for no flying - they accept this is not possible and have asked me to ensure singapore can accomodate wheelchairs etc - which they can.

Now its a case of seeing whether she needs an operation after the CT scan, and if not singapore have said there doctor at heathrow will make an incision in the cast to ensure the leg can swell ok in the flight - this is normal apparantly!

So stressed I feel sick...

Hope you get things sorted out and you are both okay, no a great situation for you.

Wish you lots of luck and a fabulous new life :))

Guest taylorvillas

Latest update is she can fly!....well not literally of course.

Finally got the news a couple of hours ago, its a metatarsal break and they will fit an aircast for easy removal, needs a night in hospital as they were too late in seeing her (odd place to spend your last night in blighty), my job is to repack the cases as I had thought as the hours passed there was no chance!

Thanks to all for the advice and kind words....sydney here we come!

This will probably be too late but several years ago a friend of mine broke her ankle before we were due to go travelling in South Africa - she got upgraded to first class!! Worth an ask! Hope the flight goes well and your partnet recovers quickly!

Archived