horbola

ACS skill assessment on Systems Analyst (ANZCO: 261112) Questions

What exactly should be suitable/relevant work experience to be assessed as Systems analyst?

I have gone through the definition on the related websites and thought I qualify as Systems Analyst, but ACS suggested me that I am suitable to qualify as Systems Engineer (263111). I have 3+ yr experience as Global Support Analyst and Senior Systems analyst in different companies where I was invloved in designing, implementing and trouble-shooting of applications, servers etc and 1.5 yr experience as Network Engineer and hold a Bachelor degree on EEE(Electrical and Electronics Engineering).

What I really wanted is to apply as a independent (175 PR visa).

Is there any member who have positive assessment as a Systems analyst here in PIO? If so, could you please share your experience?

I appreciate any comment/sharing experience as these questions are burning my head. Thank you in advance.

Guest Mongobear
What exactly should be suitable/relevant work experience to be assessed as Systems analyst?

I have gone through the definition on the related websites and thought I qualify as Systems Analyst, but ACS suggested me that I am suitable to qualify as Systems Engineer (263111). I have 3+ yr experience as Global Support Analyst and Senior Systems analyst in different companies where I was invloved in designing, implementing and trouble-shooting of applications, servers etc and 1.5 yr experience as Network Engineer and hold a Bachelor degree on EEE(Electrical and Electronics Engineering).

What I really wanted is to apply as a independent (175 PR visa).

Is there any member who have positive assessment as a Systems analyst here in PIO? If so, could you please share your experience?

I appreciate any comment/sharing experience as these questions are burning my head. Thank you in advance.

Hi,

me has a Systems Analyst assessment. It's actually pretty fresh (Feb 2011). I've acquired it through a RPL since my IT-degree is not accepted by the ACS as being an equivalent to an OZ-degree. However, here's the timeline:

1998-2001 - fulltime IT-apprenticeship incl. 1st level support/helpdesk - 200 users

2002-2005 - Sysadmin + helpdesk (Wintel, Citrix) - 400 users

2005-2007 - Sysadmin/Systems Designer (Wintel, Citrix) - 1500 users

2008-now - Systems Designer/Project Management (mainly Citrix, print management) - 6000 users

Here's some details of the duties the ACS expects to see of a Systems Analyst. I've written my job-refs in that direction and my boss had no problem to sign them.

Cheerio

Uli

HI Uli, thank you so much for sharing your experience.

What is RPL? If someone has a non-recognized skill/degree then, they need to evaluate that to ACS through which is called RPL?

I submitted my Job details based on those (mentioned on the url you provided), but looks like ACS had found more close relation to NW n Systems Engineer than Systems Analyst. I am thinking to re-applying for systems analyst (Planning to ask assessment without my 1.5 yr NW engineer experience).

On the latest rules, will a 3 yr+ system analyst be able to apply for 175?

Thanks again

Hi, I am interested to see the response to this thread, RPL is Recognised Prior Learning I think :biggrin: So it is helpful to those of us who dont have the relevant qualifications. They take into account any experience relevant to the occupation you are applying for.

My husband is also in I.T. and has a huge amount of experience, unfortunately as he has worked for same company for 20 years, he has no qualifications, its all on the job training for him so no way he can prove what he is capable of doing.

I hope you get the answers you are looking for :wink:

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." Quote from Ferris Bueller.

Guest Mongobear
HI Uli, thank you so much for sharing your experience.

What is RPL? If someone has a non-recognized skill/degree then, they need to evaluate that to ACS through which is called RPL?

I submitted my Job details based on those (mentioned on the url you provided), but looks like ACS had found more close relation to NW n Systems Engineer than Systems Analyst. I am thinking to re-applying for systems analyst (Planning to ask assessment without my 1.5 yr NW engineer experience).

On the latest rules, will a 3 yr+ system analyst be able to apply for 175?

Thanks again

Hi Horbola,

I don't know the exact figures for work experience in detail. They differ depending on what kind of assessment you go for (fresh graduate, with IT-degree, RPL). I know it's 6 or 8 years for RPLs and a lot less for people with recognized IT-degrees. The ACS page knows the details resp. this document. Ahhhh, you're lucky that I'm a nice guy:

GROUP A (suitable)

Applicants must provide evidence that they have a qualification assessed as comparable to the educational level of an Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Bachelor (undergraduate) degree or Graduate Diploma or higher degree level qualification with a major in ICT in a highly relevant field to the nominated occupation and at least two (2) years of full time professional ICT work experience in a field closely related to the nominated occupation, completed in the seven (7) years before the date of application for Skills Assessment.

(page 20)

GROUP B (suitable)

Applicants must provide evidence that they have a qualification assessed as comparable to the educational level of an Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Diploma or Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Advanced Diploma with a major in ICT, or an Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Bachelor (undergraduate) degree, or Graduate Diploma, or higher qualification with a minor (sub-major) in ICT in a highly relevant field to the nominated occupation and at least five (5) years of full time professional ICT work experience in a field closely related to the nominated occupation, completed in the ten (10) years before the date of application for Skills Assessment.

(page 21)

RECOGNITION OF PRIOR LEARNING (RPL)

Applicants who do not hold an ICT (or ICT-related) qualification, but have a qualification in another discipline which is assessed as being at least comparable to the general educational level of an Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Bachelor (undergraduate) degree or higher degree level qualification, may apply for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). Applicants in this category should have at least six (6) years of full time professional ICT work experience in a field closely related to the nominated occupation

(page23)

Regarding your question of work-experience exemption. They'll do that if you ask them to do so but you should keep the requirements above in mind.

Good luck (also to anxiousmum's hubby)

Uli

Mongobear,

Thank you so much, Your comments are very helpful and a good guidance.

Now, I am re-thinking about applying for ACS assessment as Systems Analyst.

Here is my case:

I have completed a Bachelors degree on Electrical and Electronics Engineering (My university is not listed on the sydney/washington accord) from Japan. There were around 30% course on ICT subjects in the university(i.e. Networking, C programming, computer architecture etc.).

Then I have been working for 5 years and 3 months (as of today)in 5 difefrent companies and still employed. So far my job tiles were : Network Engineer (1.5 yr), Technical Support (3 months), Global Support engineer analyst- level 2 (2.5 years), Senior systems analyst (8months), Integration Consultant (3+months and ongoing). So, I have been mainly engaged to implement application on server and workstations, troubleshooting for those software, communicating with clients to know their need and making sure development implement those functions on new builds etc.

Let's see how ACS response on my 2nd application. I just got their reply and they asked me to lodge a new application and re-send all docs including the previous one I sent.

I am planning to write my cv and a cover letter explaining my focus and exoerties on ICT subjects as I think I qualify (!!!) to be assessed as Systems analyst.

Hi,

I've just got back today a positive assessment under 261111 (Business Analyst) using the RPL route (Wohoo !!). I've been working in software development, business and systems analysis since 1990. I have a Masters degree in a non-IT related skill (although admittedly it is an MBA, which is business focussed).

The 261111 business analyst role focusses on analysing the business and identifying requirements. The 261112 systems analyst role focusses around analysing existing solutions in comparison to business requirements. Both roles have a heavy emphasis on managing the process of identifying change, documenting, project management, stakeholder management and bringing that change to fruition. Neither ask for the knowledge and skills to actually do the changes, the roles are about identifying and managing change.

If you're going for either of these roles, my advice would be to focus your application on these aspects more than your ability to actually effect the changes yourself through your skills as developer/network techie, etc. If your experience/skill set doesn't have these aspects, then as ACS advise, you would be better to seek assessment on the technical side of your knowledge.

Hope this helps

Pete

Hi Pete, Thank you for the update and really valuable advice. Now I can see why ACS was more interested to assess as NW and Systems Engineer rather than Systems Analyst, cause in all my job descriptions, I focused that I am the one who did the problem solving.

Mongobear and other valuable members:

As the new point test description is out, I am facing another question, could you please advice?

I have a Bachelors degree on Electrical and Electronics Engineering form a Japanese university which in not on Sydney/Washington accord. And I am working as NW engineer/systems analyst/Systems Engineer for the last 5 years and ACS gave me a positive skill assessment on 263111 for 4 years and 2 months. Now, on the new point test, its says the following:

----

To claim points for a qualification obtained overseas, the qualification will need to be recognised as being of a standard comparable to the relevant Australian level qualification. Generally, applicants will be able to request an opinion on their qualification claims from the relevant assessing authority when seeking their skills assessment. For further information about this process, applicants should contact the relevant assessing authority. See: http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/a-z.htm

--

My question is:

In order to claim points on my bachelors degree in Electrical and Electronics Engineering should I

(1) Contact Engineer Australia? or,

(2) Contact ACS and ask to evaluate my degree as they already assessed my work experience?

Guys, Am I the only one who think his case is uncommon or everybody else having non-Australian degree and work experience are facing this?

Thank you so much guys, I wish you all the best.

Guest Montu

Hello Mongobear and other valued members.

I am a New Zealand Citizen and want to apply for PR in Australia under 261112 - Systems Analyst.

I have a Bachelors in Engineering Technology (Networking Major) from MIT in Auckland, NZ. I was told it is internationally recognized degree when I did it. I also have a MCSE and CCNA. This is a 3 year degree. Below is the experience I have.

HCL Ltd (India) Associate (0.5 years) - ISP Technical Support helpdesk. (Radius Support, support for users) IBM NZ- Helpdesk Coordinator - (1.5 years) – (AD, Radius) 4000 users.

IBM NZ - Infrastructure Associate (Network Support) – (cisco switches, radius) (1 year)

Pulse IT New Zealand - Service Desk Analyst (1.2 year)- (AD, IAS, Proxy servers, backup solutions)

Symantec Australia (Technical Support Analyst) - (1.2 year and current) (IAS, proxy server deployments)

Do you think my experience above get me through ACS if i can show that my job duties relate to "261112 - Systems Analyst" ?

Should my first step be getting skills assessment done through ACS ? If yes, I am not sure if I need to apply under Group A or B ?

Guest Montu

Hello Mongobear and other valued members.

I am a New Zealand Citizen and want to apply for PR in Australia under 261112 - Systems Analyst.

I have a Bachelors in Engineering Technology (Networking Major) from MIT in Auckland, NZ. I was told it is internationally recognized degree when I did it. I also have a MCSE and CCNA. This is a 3 year degree. Below is the experience I have.

HCL Ltd (India) Associate (0.5 years) - ISP Technical Support helpdesk. (Radius Support, support for users) IBM NZ- Helpdesk Coordinator - (1.5 years) – (AD, Radius) 4000 users.

IBM NZ - Infrastructure Associate (Network Support) – (cisco switches, radius) (1 year)

Pulse IT New Zealand - Service Desk Analyst (1.2 year)- (AD, IAS, Proxy servers, backup solutions)

Symantec Australia (Technical Support Analyst) - (1.2 year and current) (IAS, proxy server deployments)

Do you think my experience above get me through ACS if i can show that my job duties relate to "261112 - Systems Analyst" ?

Should my first step be getting skills assessment done through ACS ? If yes, I am not sure if I need to apply under Group A or B ?

Guest Praz

Hi Mongobear,

Looking at your replay I thought get some advice from you.

I have completed my BIT(Bachelor of Information Technology one of repudiated Uni in AU)

I have got following past and percent work experience

2000-2003 - Web Developer(Overseas)

2003-2006 - Web Developer/Network admin (Overseas)

2007-Curent-IT System administrator (Australian)

I worried that I can't get work experience point under DIAC new rules. Because they have mentioned that work experience in nominated occupation or a closely related occupation .

But I think if I can get assess my ACS assessment under System Analyst and with above work experience from ACS I will have chance . Do you think I will be able to get positive assessment as System Analyst with my qualification + above experience .

I am worried weather they assess Network /IT System administrator experience some thing related System Analyst

What you think champ?

Cheeers

Praz

Guest umairahmad

i have my skills assessed as 'System Analyst' with 10 years of experience. But i am also a good programmer of VB.Net. can i apply for 'Analyst Programmer' under state sponsorship? Please guide!!!

As far as I know, you can only apply under an ANZSCO for which you have been assessed. If you want to apply under Analyst Programmer, I suspect you will need to have your skills re-assessed by ACS for that code.

Guest Chakravarthy208

Hi Horbola,

I am planning to apply for PR, I am having B.tech in EEE and have 6 yrs of application developer in IT exp. Can you please suggest me which method I need to apply for ACS

1) ICT Minor or

2)RPL

Can you please let me know how you have applied.

Thanks,

Chakri

Hi,

I am in the process of applying for my RPL in the Business Analyst Category. I have worked for about 6 years as a BA and have been involved in about 10 different projects.

Can you please let me know what are the fosusses I should be calling out in my document. I dont have any engineering / IT educational background. I am a commerce graduate with an MBA in finance and marketing.

Please guide.