Bringing our wiemaraner to geraldton

Guest man of kent

Guest man of kent

Hi all.

We are starting our process of moving to geraldton as I have been offered a job with arg

Firstly, what are the biggest issues we will have with him? As he is a hunt point retrieve dog he like sniffing around in grass and loves a swim where is the best place to exercise him?

Also can anyone tell me how much royal canin dog food is out there?

Thanks for any help

Ian

Guest siamsusie

Hi Ian,

Great news about your new job in Geraldton.. a great part of the world.

Hopefully a few members in the pet league will be able to answer your questions.

I googled the food for you http://www.getprice.com.au/royal-canin-dog-supplies.htm.

and exercise areas... http://www.cgg.wa.gov.au/residents-community/animals-pets/dog-exercise-areas

http://www.petnet.com.au/parks-beaches?page=4

I am sure we also have Geraldton members here who will be able to assist you.

Very best wishes

Susie x

Guest MontyClaude

Hi Ian,

We feed our dogs RC too and when we were in Melbourne last year we priced it and it was approx $100 for a 15KG bag, fairly similar pricing to Ireland. I'm sure it ranges depending on the state but it might give you a rough guide. Good luck with your move.

Hi

We have friends in Secret Harbour that have 2 Weimaraner's. I believe there is a Weimaraner club that meets up in Perth every couple of months, and everyone gets confused as to which dogs are theirs as they all run around in a park :err:

You should exercise your dogs on the beach, we take ours (mongrel) every day sometimes twice a day. In the winter get in the bush the dogs will love it, but stay away in spring/summer as there will be snakes!

Tracey

http://www.ozhouserental.com

Guest hughielewis

Hi Ian

My wife works at the Vets in Geraldton (Vet Nurse) and that is usually the best place to get food.

You can excercise him just about anywhere around here, you probably don't want to take him down to the city beaches but "back beach" is great, and then anywhere north or south of town is paradise for dogs.

One major (MAJOR) issue for dogs is that at certain times of year a creature called the sea hare washes up dead on the beaches, these can be poisenous to dogs (depending on what the sea hare has been eating), some die even if they lick them although most get ingested (dogs scoff down anything after all) so during those months (usually early summer) be very careful on the beaches with your dog.

http://www.sanfordvet.com.au/pet-articles-dogs/84-sea-slugs.html (not my wifes vet but good info)

Apart from beaches there are walks along the chapman river to the north of town and a much better and longer one either side of the Grenough river to the south of town, as well as lots of smaller parks and similar places

Hope that's some help

Guest man of kent

Many thanks one and all for your help. It appears r c food is about 50% more expensive. £52 for 15kg here but in aus dollars equates to £81 per 15kg bag. Ouch! On top of shipping fees all I can say is we must love our dog!

How likely is my dog likely to get bitten by something nasty as obviously he has not come across snakes and spiders here that could bite

Guest hughielewis

spiders aren't a problem (for either humans or dogs) but snakes are.

Generally around geraldton you will never see one if your house is in a built up area. If you back onto "bush" then there's a higher chance you'll get a visit from a snake. On the beaches/parks it'd be very rare to see/ find one but they do live in the dunes where there's plenty of vegetation (and prey for them) so dont let your dog off the lead in those areas

They do bite dogs and every year the vets gets a good number of cases in, often with sad results. usually because the owner has been unaware the dog has been bitten before it's too late, or the owner takes the "she'll be right" attitude and again it's too late. Again this is usually because the dog is in the back yard in a bush area and comes across a snake and tries to stick it in its mouth, in town you're fine.

Just get the dog insured when you get here, antivenin is VERY expensive, but caught early usually does the job nicely.

Guest Ph0en1x
spiders aren't a problem (for either humans or dogs)

Not quite true, whilst spiders pose no threat to dogs/cats they most definitely can for humans, one of the worlds most poisonous spiders is the funnel web is resident in the sydney area and is deadly. The redback is also highly poisonous to humans

Guest hughielewis
Not quite true, whilst spiders pose no threat to dogs/cats they most definitely can for humans, one of the worlds most poisonous spiders is the funnel web is resident in the sydney area and is deadly. The redback is also highly poisonous to humans

We're talking about Geraldton here, it's about 4000kms to the nearest funnelweb.

and red backs are no trouble at all, they spend the day in the corner of their web, and the night in their web, if you're sensible then you will never ever get bitten, and if you do you've a very long time to deal with the effects so any hysteria about them is overblown.

snakes on the other hand need to be treated with utmost respect, they will do their best to get out of your way, but if you get bitten you have to get to a doctors fast.

Guest MontyClaude
Many thanks one and all for your help. It appears r c food is about 50% more expensive. £52 for 15kg here but in aus dollars equates to £81 per 15kg bag. Ouch! On top of shipping fees all I can say is we must love our dog!

How likely is my dog likely to get bitten by something nasty as obviously he has not come across snakes and spiders here that could bite

I know that feeling, we're bringing two dogs and two cats!!

Guest zambezi15

We moved here in 2010 we are 500 km up and inland from Geraldton in the Outback. The snakes hibernate in the autumn and winter months, and we have not come across one fortunately in our bush walks with the dogs, but one should be vigilant. Geraldton is a lovely town, with warm friendly people and a relaxed lifestyle- we go there at least once or twice month. Your dog is going to love the warmer winter. If he gets bored he can catch flies. Good luck with your move

Archived