Think long and hard before coming home

Bod

Oh my partner won't even consider returning to the UK unless she's had at least two years in melbourne. That's another 18 months away. So it's a case of just getting on with it, counting off the days and looking forward to eventually going home.

When are you heading back to Blighty Rodfan?

Thanks for your reply, well heading back in August, but looks like it will just be for a holiday as OH is dragging his heels once again, about a permanent return and he has our two grown up son's on his side, who also do not want to return to (Scotland) we are no spring chickens now either so time may be running out for us...always someone worse off eh:wink: at least your partner has agreed to a certain time to returning. I wonder more and more why our supposed "love ones" put us throught this? when they know how unhappy it make us? I do try to make the most of my time here, and am not always unhappy however the homesickness and missing my family is constantly on my mind, I made a mistake in my life 6yrs ago of emigrating here, one I may have to live with now for the rest of it:sad:

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest37175
Thanks for your reply, well heading back in August, but looks like it will just be for a holiday as OH is dragging his heels once again, about a permanent return and he has our two grown up son's on his side, who also do not want to return to (Scotland) we are no spring chickens now either so time may be running out for us...always someone worse off eh:wink: at least your partner has agreed to a certain time to returning. I wonder more and more why our supposed "love ones" put us throught this? when they know how unhappy it make us? I do try to make the most of my time here, and am not always unhappy however the homesickness and missing my family is constantly on my mind, I made a mistake in my life 6yrs ago of emigrating here, one I may have to live with now for the rest of it:sad:

Thanks Rodfan. My partner and I have talked at length about how if we'd known back in the day how each other felt about our respective countries then we'd have given each other the flick much sooner. That way, she could have found herself either a nice aussie guy or a Brit who likes Oz. Instead she got me!. We talk frequently about splitting up and what that might mean for our daughter - growing up in Oz with a Dad in England. I wonder if anyone's ever made an arrangement like that work in any way?

Like yourself, and like many others (I'm presuming here) I get by. It's fine, but it's not home. Every day I feel increasingly isolated and alienated here, so it's effectively a half-life I'm living. I can do that for a couple of years, but no longer. The call of home is too strong. I feel for you. Will your partner not reconsider when he sees how happy you are back in Scotland on holiday?

Hi Ozsceptic,

I am really hoping my OH will change his mind, he does miss Scotland,but not in the way I do he has adapted to the aussie way of life and has his family here that's the way he lookes at it, also with the worry of getting a job,once back so I do understand his reasons for wanting to live here. However exactly like you, I also feel like I am living a half- life and have considered trying to live on my own back home, but do not seem to have the courage to do this at 51yrs and after being married for 30yrs, I worry it will also be another wrong decision and I will then end up with nothing.

Guest Guest37175
Hi Ozsceptic,

I am really hoping my OH will change his mind, he does miss Scotland,but not in the way I do he has adapted to the aussie way of life and has his family here that's the way he lookes at it, also with the worry of getting a job,once back so I do understand his reasons for wanting to live here. However exactly like you, I also feel like I am living a half- life and have considered trying to live on my own back home, but do not seem to have the courage to do this at 51yrs and after being married for 30yrs, I worry it will also be another wrong decision and I will then end up with nothing.

That bit in bold really illustrates the high stakes nature of these situations. People often say "Well if you don't like it you can always leave," but for many of us it's sadly not as simple as that. I wish you well Rodfan. I'll keep an eye open for your future posts.

Oz