Think long and hard before coming home

Bod

Connie I think it's unfair to compare the rail travel system from Toowoomba to cities in the UK. Rail travel like any other business is a numbers game and profits have to be made. In NZ a few years ago the passenger rail system was suspended in the South Island because the entire population was only about 1 million people and rail services couldn't be supported. I don't think a Brisbane Toowoomba line would be all that profitable. Also in the UK, public transport appears to be used much more between cities, whereas people seem more inclined to drive here in Australia. Good luck with the holiday in Spain. One of the reasons I'm looking forward to living in the UK again is the close proximity of Europe, so handy...Syd.

Sydney, my point is that due to the population and sheer size of Australia the services and choice will always be limited....I have said this a hundred times....it is if you can live with the knock on effect of these limitations....we couldn't.....some can

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a side note, I am shocked how expensive train tickets are in the UK! Special deals aside on trains at crap times, the regular fares you can get even 3 months in advance are ridiculous. Over £100 return London to Edinburgh... I was a student when I lived thereast and didnt realise how much cheaper we got it... Have they increased a lot? It makes me think I won't be able to see my family as much as I want to when we live in London again. Even to Peterborough to see the in-laws is extortionate...

That will give you a good excuse not to go then. Every cloud has a silver lining.

:wink:

why would you live in toowoomba if you work in brisbane

Our family are all in Toowoomba (which is why we went...we secured a rental and schools from the UK) my husband then tried to get IT work...hilarious!

Brisbane was the nearest he could get...we had no desire to live in a a major city (just as we don't here).

Our family are all in Toowoomba (which is why we went...we secured a rental and schools from the UK) my husband then tried to get IT work...hilarious!

Brisbane was the nearest he could get...we had no desire to live in a a major city (just as we don't here).

So how are you doing finding IT work in a non-major City in the UK?

Guest Scotinaus
That will give you a good excuse not to go then. Every cloud has a silver lining.

Haha, do you mean the in-laws? Excellent point, shame I adore them an their lovely country house really (they live in the countryside and nearest big town is Peterborough) :)

Guest Guest 47403
We are going to Menorca on Friday....we can fly there quicker than it took my husband to get to work in Australia....because of the none existent train service between Toowoomba and Brisbane which is only 90 miles away. Tell me where here in the UK 2 cities that close together that wouldn't have a train service!

Enjoy menorca

You seem to compare almost everything in Oz to the UK do you think this contributed to why you failed to make your move to Oz work? Just interested.

Sydney, my point is that due to the population and sheer size of Australia the services and choice will always be limited....I have said this a hundred times....it is if you can live with the knock on effect of these limitations....we couldn't.....some can

Connie Aust won't change overnight. I hope people reading this won't follow you and think they can jump on a bus from Port Hedland and get off at the Barrier Reef. Not too sure where this is leading.

Guest Guest 47403
Really? Is that your main reason for asking?

Yes It is the main reason why else would I ask?

I'm wondering if Connie feels trying to compare things rather than except them as different contributed to her move back to the UK.

Guest famousfive
Enjoy menorca

You seem to compare almost everything in Oz to the UK do you think this contributed to why you failed to make your move to Oz work? Just interested.

I really don't think she failed to make the move work,do you?They just did not like it,simple as that.

Guest Unha99Y
I really don't think she failed to make the move work,do you?They just did not like it,simple as that.

Exactly

Yes It is the main reason why else would I ask?

I'm wondering if Connie feels trying to compare things rather than except them as different contributed to her move back to the UK.

If you read my posts you will see that my biggest concern out there was the sheer vastness of the country coupled with a low population and the impact this has on your day to day life. Choice/services/products/attitudes/accessibility. Of course we knew it was different we had been many times and my husband is an Aussie wih all his family still there. However to feel the enormity of these effects you have to live there

If you are asking whether comparing the two contributed to our return then of course it did...our life there and what we could do compared to what we can do and our life here.

I find the question rather answers itself...just like the people going obviously ask themselves their life here to their life there.

Am I missing something people or am I not making my point very clear:wacko:

Guest Unha99Y

I don't like it here either, intact I hate it. It doesn't mean I have failed. I have failed as much as those moving from the UK to here

Guest Guest 47403

Word it how you want If I tried to do something and failed to make it work I'd say I failed probably because I like to be honest with myself.

Ok do you think it contributed to why it didn't work out for you Connie? This is a genuine question that some people are trying to turn in to an argument!

Connie Aust won't change overnight. I hope people reading this won't follow you and think they can jump on a bus from Port Hedland and get off at the Barrier Reef. Not too sure where this is leading.

stupid for us to think that there would be a train service from Toowoomba (Australia's largest inland city and the closest city to Brisbane) to Brisbane...90 miles away...look at the map.

I don't think I mentioned anything about Port Hedland or the Reef.:arghh:

And why does this have to lead anywhere it is a valid point...? :huh:

Guest Unha99Y
Word it how you want If I tried to do something and failed to make it work I'd say I failed probably because I like to be honest with myself.

Ok do you think it contributed to why it didn't work out for you Connie? This is a genuine question that some people are trying to turn in to an argument!

I think it's you who is trying to make an argument in the thread. I think Connie has made herself pretty clear in this thread and others why she and her family returned to the UK.

Is someone trying to get a rise out of this blog? It's about think hard about returning before rushing back. Australia and the UK are worlds apart in more ways than the obvious; for some it suits and others it doesn't. Simple really. Deciding that you would rather return does have a negative impact on your feelings towards the departing country, so those returning can be excused for their dislike of Australia; I remember my dislike of the UK before I left!! I think coming over here (and returning) takes guts and hopefully the experience makes you appreciate life somewhat more. Failure...nah! What a load of tosh! Glad to see that you're enjoying the UK!

Guest Guest 47403
I think it's you who is trying to make an argument in the thread. I think Connie has made herself pretty clear in this thread and others why she and her family returned to the UK.

I've asked Connie a valid question that I am interested in you seem to want to make an issue out of it, not sure why but feel free!

Guest The Pom Queen
I've asked Connie a valid question that I am interested in you seem to want to make an issue out of it, not sure why but feel free!

You have been asked to leave it so lets please move on:notworthy:

Guest Guest 47403
I think I have answered this haven't I...

You have and thank you for your reply it's appreciated, sorry the question created the bickering amongst some.

not getting involved in the pricing debate because i dont know the price comparison .

Brum to euston .....new st .....expensive

brum to marylebone .....family ticket for 4 ....with an all areas day tube ticket £46 return all in

stupid for us to think that there would be a train service from Toowoomba (Australia's largest inland city and the closest city to Brisbane) to Brisbane...90 miles away...look at the map.

I don't think I mentioned anything about Port Hedland or the Reef.:arghh:

And why does this have to lead anywhere it is a valid point...? :huh:

Connie, I was being a wee bit sarccy after several wines tonight so apologies all round mate. If you ever come back to Australia, and who knows you might, you might find it a lot easier to settle somewhere other than Toowoomba. Family aside, it would be far from my first choice. Syd.