Bridging visa B..A little confused

Rock Lobster

Hi there, just wondering if anyone would maybe be able to help and clear something up for me.

I am currently in Australia on a 676 tourist visa. I am going to be applying onshore for my spouse visa on Wednesday, now I know that when the application is lodged I will be put onto bridging visa A.

Now comes the tricky part....My 676 entry was the 2nd of March so my visa technically doesn't 'expire' until 2nd of June. I have a flight booked back to the UK on the 31st March to visit my father who has recently been diagnosed with vascular dementia. Giving the current long waiting times onshore I was planning on visiting him for a couple of weeks and then coming back.

Now, I can't figure out whether I am going to need bridging visa B or not as I am technically going to be leaving before my 3 months is up, so re-setting the clock on it as it is a multiple entry visa until August 2010.

I've been reading various threads and can't really figure it out!!

Will they put me on bridging visa A as soon as my application is lodged, therefore I would need the bridging visa B. Will they wait until my visa time expires (2nd June) or would it not come into effect until August?

I think I have just confused myself even more!!??:wacko:

Guest siamsusie

Welcome to a fellow Tasmanian resident Rock Lobster.

Your bridging visa will kick on when your e visa expires. Up until then you are free to depart and enter at your leisure. I would check your visa with this link. http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/676/apply-online.htm

Upon Bridging Visa A being granted, if you do require to leave the country then permission should be sought for Bridging Visa B to be granted.

I would on your travels back to the UK obtain a letter from your father's consultant stating your father's health should be need to go back whilst on Bridging Visa A. (to obtain BV2)

You will find DIAC Hobart a small but exceptionally friendly office and hopefully all will be plain sailing for you.

Good luck with your De Facto visa and I am so sorry to hear of your dilemma.

Susie x

Guest sTiLlWaItInG
Hi there, just wondering if anyone would maybe be able to help and clear something up for me.

I am currently in Australia on a 676 tourist visa. I am going to be applying onshore for my spouse visa on Wednesday, now I know that when the application is lodged I will be put onto bridging visa A.

Now comes the tricky part....My 676 entry was the 2nd of March so my visa technically doesn't 'expire' until 2nd of June. I have a flight booked back to the UK on the 31st March to visit my father who has recently been diagnosed with vascular dementia. Giving the current long waiting times onshore I was planning on visiting him for a couple of weeks and then coming back.

Now, I can't figure out whether I am going to need bridging visa B or not as I am technically going to be leaving before my 3 months is up, so re-setting the clock on it as it is a multiple entry visa until August 2010.

Will they put me on bridging visa A as soon as my application is lodged, therefore I would need the bridging visa B. Will they wait until my visa time expires (2nd June) or would it not come into effect until August?

I think I have just confused myself even more!!??:wacko:

Does your 676 allows you to travel?

BUT if 676 allows multi entry/travel and you'll be back before 2nd June then you might not need to..

otherwise.. ya.. you'd need Bridging visa B..

better to check with immigration..

Does your 676 allows you to travel?

BUT if 676 allows multi entry/travel and you'll be back before 2nd June then you might not need to..

otherwise.. ya.. you'd need Bridging visa B..

better to check with immigration..

Yup, 676 visa allows multiple entries to Australia but only for a duration of 3 months at a time.

I'll be leaving just before my 3 month entry is up so I guess I will be staying on the 676 visa until August when the visa itself expires? As opposed to if I was just staying here and not travelling back to England then the bridging visa would kick in on 2nd June when my 3 months is up?

Guest sTiLlWaItInG
Yup, 676 visa allows multiple entries to Australia but only for a duration of 3 months at a time.

I'll be leaving just before my 3 month entry is up so I guess I will be staying on the 676 visa until August when the visa itself expires? As opposed to if I was just staying here and not travelling back to England then the bridging visa would kick in on 2nd June when my 3 months is up?

just ring the immigration and check.. I'm not sure about 676.

Guest siamsusie

Rock Lobster, if your current e visa expires at the given date in August, then you remain on this visa.

The last given date of your current visa which will expire @ midnight is when hopefully your bridging visa will kick in for your pending de facto visa. If you then are required to return to the UK, as I stated previously this is when you seek permission to go onto Bridging visa B.

I would however be informing your case officer when you lodge tomorrow in Hobart of your forth coming plans, so that the appropriate remarks are made should there be any problems with Immigration on your return to Melbourne/Tasmania.

Susie

I think I have just confused myself even more!!??

Bridging visas are tricky, so be careful and do comprehensive research.

1) A bridging visa A will be granted on making a valid onshore application while holding a suitable substantive visa;

2) That bridging visa A allows you to remain in Australia to await the decision;

3) That bridging visa A does not come into effect until your current substantive visa expires;

4) If you travel and return to Australia on your valid substantive visa (i.e. before you bridging visa A comes into effect), your bridging visa A will no longer be valid and you will need to re apply for it or become unlawful;

5) If you plan to travel once your bridging visa A is in effect, you need to obtain a bridging visa B before you leave.

Bridging visas are tricky, so be careful and do comprehensive research.

1) A bridging visa A will be granted on making a valid onshore application while holding a suitable substantive visa;

2) That bridging visa A allows you to remain in Australia to await the decision;

3) That bridging visa A does not come into effect until your current substantive visa expires;

4) If you travel and return to Australia on your valid substantive visa (i.e. before you bridging visa A comes into effect), your bridging visa A will no longer be valid and you will need to re apply for it or become unlawful;

5) If you plan to travel once your bridging visa A is in effect, you need to obtain a bridging visa B before you leave.

Thank you!! That makes sense now.

So if I put my onshore application in today and then travel to the UK on Tuesday when I return to Australia I have to re-apply for my bridging visa A?