I'm Almost there.....

Har00n

LOL!!!!

We all wanna go to disneyland!!!

I'm going on a 457 also, and im sure that i read somewhere, that if you can prove your going for good, i.e. oneway ticket, that would suffice.....

I'll let you know when i get to that stage. Just been on gumtree.com.au, looking at short-term lets. Might be easier and cheaper to share a place with someone..... mrs has to approve though.. (they always get the last say!)

Ace - will keep an eye out for your posts! Makes sense about a one way ticket. We were advised to buy an open return to save money flying back to the UK for a visit but personally I won't be wasting my time off work in the UK with Polynesia on the doorstep! So one-way it is.

Thanks for the update B1ker, had another guy on perthpoms say the same thing.

To be honost, i'm only needing a runaround, and if i cant get finance, then i'll just have to save and walk everywhere... might actually help me lose some weight (which i desperatly need to do.....sitting about on a desk doesn't really help much!)

Guest Kornish

G'day

I looked into the criteria for this extra baggage allowance & discovered that if you open an account with http://www.commbankuk.co.uk/ you are then entitled to an emigration fare (1 way only) that gives you a baggage allowance of 40kgs! You have to prove your emigrating on check in @ airport & 457's are acceptable. Hope this helps.:wubclub:

Well folks, i've now booked my tickets.

I'm going to be flying with emirates, glasgow to dubai, then dubai to perth.

It actually cost me a lot more than i thought it would, £940 per ticket, but as the company will be re-imbursing me for it, i'm not too bothered.

the travel agent will also be calling emirates today to advise that this is a migration flight, and therefore the baggage allowance should be increased.

Once i know what it has been increased too, i'll let you all know.

Now, does anybody know where i can get a cheap rental in perth for when i land!

Guest Lady Penelope

Lucky you!

I believe your enthusiasm should help you organize all the little details.

Good Luck.

And let us all know what it's like once you get there.

Penny

Quick Update:

Boxes have arrived from Voovit, and am busy boxing up stuff.

i ordered 7 initially, but they're a wee bit smaller in size than i thought they'd be. Still, should manage to get mostly everything in them and away. if we need more we can easily order them again.

Also, started the process of creating a moneycorp account, to transfer money from UK account to Australian Account. I opened an account with NAB online earlier last month, and that was pretty straight forward. Just waiting for moneycorp to get back to me regarding progress. Good piece of advice: If you mention that you have a NAB account, you don't get charged a transfer fee!. Also, if you mention pomsinoz, then this also applies, as both seem to be on a promotional partner list. Every wee bit helps.

Finally, after a wee initial hiccup, looks like i've managed to secure somewhere to stay for when we land.

Will be going to clarkson, and staying in a semi huge home. Bit pricey for just 2 people, but it'll do as a base to start looking for longer term accomodation, plus you can't put a price on peice of mind. It's all thanks to tracey from ozhouserental. One thing to note is that for short-term rentals, they'll be looking for the month upfront, plus a small bond which is just over a week. So, it will be an initial high outlay. Again, if i wasn't going to be re-imbursed by the company i'm going to work for, i'd have serious thoughts about paying so much.

Things left to do:

1. find a box that my TV can fit in, i've been told places like pc-world/curry's would be a good place, but make sure you go to a big store as all the ones i've tried are the smaller stores and they don't have any.

2. Cancel Car insurance, sky tv, bt, mobile phone etc. Should get a we ebit of cash back from the car insurance company, plus deposit from my rental. unfortunatly road tax for my car is coming to an end, otherwise i would have sent it back as well to get that we ebit extra cash back!

Thats the only things i can remember right now.... 3 weeks today i finish work, 4 weeks today and i'll be on a plane to my new life!! Wow, so little time....

Guest ClaireT

Hey Har00n

How are you? You sound organised! All I can say is the next 4 weeks are going to fly by. We have been been here 4 weeks now and everything so far has been great. Completely agree with you about piece of mind with the accommodation, we have just moved into a rental for 6 months and its a weight off our minds - sitting on garden furniture drinking from plastic wine glasses until my stuff arrives lol!!

claire

Hi Claire,

trust me... organised i am not!

:laugh:

i had planned to start boxing things up this weekend, but its now sunday night in cold, rainy edinburgh, and i have precisely half a box filled with books, which i just shoved straight of a shelf in my study. Problem is i really don't know what i want to take, and what i just wanna leave...

I'm sure i'll get it sorted this week. Just need to focus the mind, and get it done..(And stop watching TV after work!)

Its a horrible, horrible day here. am on the top floor (fifth) of a new set of flats, and all i can hear is the rain and wind. Usually its a great view down to the forth and beyond, but cause of the rain i can barely see down the block. Really cant wait to get some sunshine......

Quick Update:

Boxes have arrived from Voovit, and am busy boxing up stuff.

i ordered 7 initially, but they're a wee bit smaller in size than i thought they'd be. Still, should manage to get mostly everything in them and away. if we need more we can easily order them again.

Also, started the process of creating a moneycorp account, to transfer money from UK account to Australian Account. I opened an account with NAB online earlier last month, and that was pretty straight forward. Just waiting for moneycorp to get back to me regarding progress. Good piece of advice: If you mention that you have a NAB account, you don't get charged a transfer fee!. Also, if you mention pomsinoz, then this also applies, as both seem to be on a promotional partner list. Every wee bit helps.

Finally, after a wee initial hiccup, looks like i've managed to secure somewhere to stay for when we land.

Will be going to clarkson, and staying in a semi huge home. Bit pricey for just 2 people, but it'll do as a base to start looking for longer term accomodation, plus you can't put a price on peice of mind. It's all thanks to tracey from ozhouserental. One thing to note is that for short-term rentals, they'll be looking for the month upfront, plus a small bond which is just over a week. So, it will be an initial high outlay. Again, if i wasn't going to be re-imbursed by the company i'm going to work for, i'd have serious thoughts about paying so much.

Things left to do:

1. find a box that my TV can fit in, i've been told places like pc-world/curry's would be a good place, but make sure you go to a big store as all the ones i've tried are the smaller stores and they don't have any.

2. Cancel Car insurance, sky tv, bt, mobile phone etc. Should get a we ebit of cash back from the car insurance company, plus deposit from my rental. unfortunatly road tax for my car is coming to an end, otherwise i would have sent it back as well to get that we ebit extra cash back!

Thats the only things i can remember right now.... 3 weeks today i finish work, 4 weeks today and i'll be on a plane to my new life!! Wow, so little time....

Ooooh how exciting!!!!! Bet you can't wait :biggrin:

Guest steve cook

Air Asia is probably the cheapest going but they only go from stanstead so you'll need a flight there. We are moving over to Perth in July. We went with John masons international for removals. Bay water car hire is cheapest at around $30 a day.

Our accommodation is in east Perth on Adelaide terrace and is a 2bed apt. You can open a bank account with nab on line. Transfer money with moneycorp for free.

Hope this helps

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All!

Ok, been a while since an update, so i thought i'd post whats been happening.

have moved everythign from the Edinburgh Flat, back to Glasgow, and nearly everything is boxed up. Last thing is the Telly, for which finding a box has been a nightmare, until i stumbled across self storage website. They have TV Boxes for TV's upto42 inch, which suits me fine. Bit of bubblewrap, and the tv box will be collected today, and then once its boxed up, i'll be emailing Voovit to pick it all up.

One thing i will say, don't underestimate how much 'STUFF' you have. Stuff is teh perfect word for it. I thought 7 boxes would have been enough, but now, its more like 14 (double!?!?) teh original, plus the TV box.... I didn't realise a couple could collect so much stuff. (Mind you, most of it is the mrs', i could have easily fitted all my stuff into 2 boxes, one for the tv, one for the xbox/computer...all my clothes and shoes are going with me in luggage, what else does a guy need??)

Anyway, though i'd add that wee bit in, just to prepare the folks that are starting the packaging process.

My plane flies out next friday, less than 2 weeks to go. I've got an airport transfer all arranged, will take me from teh airport to Clarkson, for about $120 dollars. Plus, if a hire a car from the company a little later on, they will take off about $40 dollars from the charge! They have an agreement with the company i'm hiring the villa from, plus they will have the keys for me aswell, so all i have to do is turn up at the airport! Another little headache resolved! Everything just seems to be falling into place...

At this rate, might go for the euro-millions tommorrow... how great will that be if i won... £117 million pounds, and living it up in australia! LOL... if only!

Anyways, ciao for now, will again keep you all posted as to how i get on... If you have any questions, feel fere to ask me, i'll do what i can to help.

Guest charlie coleman

Congratulations I can feel your excitment It is so hard to wait and then you just want to burst.well done

Nice to see all is going well mate! I can imagine all the excitement you're going through. Seems like you have done some good planing, higher rate of success ;)

Well, I wish ye guys all the luck and I hope you'll love your new adventure! You'll soon be in OZ, I tell ye, it's dream land (for some obviously) ;)

Cheers

B!K3R

Cheers B1ker.

Its been a bit draining really, as i've had to fit all the moving and packing in AFTER a full days work (Im STILL at work right now!).

On a sad note, i didnt win the lottery.

On a happy note, neither did anyone else, so the jackpots 136 million on friday!!

hmmmm 136 million... what would i spend it on first... would i even move to oz if i won??

<The answer is yes, id still move to oz, but stay in a penthouse!>

Hehehe, I love your sense of humor mate :)

I know exactly what you mean by the packing, I had done it all by myself. You'll be in oz soon and all these tough moments will be forgotten ;)

Heh, yeah, the jackpot would be nice hey! But you have already won the lottery to be given the chance to experience oz :)

Cheers

B!K3R