I'm Almost there.....

Har00n

Hi All,

Just got an email from my CO, one last piece of documentation, and i should get my 457 visa this week.

I know no-one will care, but i needed to let the excitement out somehow. I'm stuck at work, and haven't told them i'm leaving yet, in my head i'm dancing about with excitement, and this is the only outlet!!

So close... i can almost feel the sunshine on my skin! Beats this cold, rainy edinburgh we're having today...

I know the panic will kick in once i get the visa.

who do i fly with? who's the cheapest....?? I'll have 4 weeks notice to give, which means i have 4 weeks to arrange flights, accomodation, figure out what i should take with me, arrange to have it sent over, decide if i need a container or not, figure out if i have to take a loan out or not...

Its been a dream for a couple of years, strange feeling thats its so close to happening!

Guest guest30085

Congratulations - I hope its finalised soon for you.

Good luck with the move over :jiggy:

Thanks everyone!

Just had an email this morning from the CO, Visa's have been approved!!!!

Can't believe its really happening!!!!

At work right now, need to let them know and hand in my notice, but don't know how to.. inside i'm like

:happy_face_sticking:yellow_guy_smiling_:biggrin::laugh:

But need to reel it back in...

OMG!!!

What do i do now?!!?

better let the mrs know i guess... i'm so excited!!!

Cheers B1ker...

BTW, whats the price of bikes over there secondhand?

Ive got my CBT, was meant to do my direct access, but then this whole oz thing came about.

Could i ride a 125 without having to go through getting a bike licence over there?

(I know, its totally off-topic, but am getting so excited!!! Sunshine = perfect bike riding weather)

Cheers TINK!!

Its the most exciting and nerve-wracking thing!

I've got about a month now to decide what i'm taking, sell the rest, book somewhere to stay, so much to do!?!?!?!?!

AAARRGGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe this is happening!

Guest Guest16631

you'll be right mate.!!!!.....................as they say over here......................lol.................:smile:

Hi mate, bikes are not as cheap as the UK but not that bad either. You can get an idea here http://www.bikesales.com.au. and you can haggle on the price here :)

Regarding the license, I'm not sure mate cause I'm not from the Uk. But when I came here the first time 15 years ago, I had to do the full test. But it has changed these days I think. There are a few bikers here, furkew is one of them, you might wanna send him a pm. You can also ask on the bikers forum at netrider.

Cheers

Biker

Hi All,

Just got an email from my CO, one last piece of documentation, and i should get my 457 visa this week.

I know no-one will care, but i needed to let the excitement out somehow. I'm stuck at work, and haven't told them i'm leaving yet, in my head i'm dancing about with excitement, and this is the only outlet!!

Its been a dream for a couple of years, strange feeling thats its so close to happening!

:happy_face_love_in_

OF COURSE WE CARE!!! for many of us the whole migration thing is one of the most important things in our life - carry on sharing xx

I know no-one will care

Don't bet on it :wubclub:

I love these kind of threads, sharing the excitement and so on, keeps my spirits up during this stressful 'limbo' phase of getting our 457 docs together and tarting the house up for sale!

Everyone at my work knows - I decided to share with my boss as 1. it's hubs that was looking around, I'm just hanging on his coat tails and 2. we have a good atmosphere where stating an intention to leave doesn't get you in trouble! I work for the NHS :o) Also it means I can openly network with Australian work contacts who are also in touch with my boss, though nothing's come of that yet. But best of all I can pass the time of day chatting about this exciting move!

If this is an outlet for your excitement just go ahead, I guarantee you won't be boring anyone!

Guest popkins

Hi HarOOn

Congratulations!

Shout it from the rooftops!!

Good luck and happy planning :biggrin:

Suzanne

Thanks everyone.!!

Ok, so quick update.

Have told work today that i'm leaving, everyone seems to have taken it ok, but i get the sense that theres a bit of a panic, as i was integral to a project thats running until Januray next year! (i've tried to mitigate the risk to the project, lets see what happens. )

Also... i've been looking at flights, and so far there doesn't seem to be anything below £800 from glasgow. i'm thinking about going with emirates, as at least i'll get my miles on my skywards card.

Also... decided not to take any furniture, and am going to use voovit.com to ship all our stuff across.

works out roughly to £1 a kilo, or just over, which is fair enough. (plus they supply the boxes and tape, all we have to do is fill it and call them to collect). I'll let you know how i get on with them.

ALSO... not gonna take the car, and look at getting finance for a car when i'm out there. Will leave my mondeo for my dad, he deserves a reliable car!

Also... found this.. http://www.superamart.com.au/home/advertising_details.asp?aid=5690&id=9.

they have package deals aswell, so looks like this will be the way i go for furtniture when i get out there...

I'll let you all know how i get on...

What's the expected shipping time with voovit? It's so incredibly cheap I take it that's not air freight :o)

I'm looking for alternatives to astronomical excess baggage charges to get some of our stuff out quickly - big things we can wait for but I know we'll want more stuff than you can generally take on an economy fare!

The only reason i know about voovit is because a friend of mine used it last year when he moved to sydney.

he said he got his stuff within 2 months.... I can live without all the decorations and stuff for 2 months i reckon.

If you register with them, and ask them a question (you get a chance during registration) they are very quick to reply. I got a message from the Simon Markland, the managing director, which seemed honost and direct.

Plus, i trust my friend, who used them....

I also remember reading that if you let the airlines know your migrating, they'll increase your baggage allowance...

can't rememeber where i read it, but was definitly either here or on perthpoms.com....

We're only on a 457 so doesn't apply unfortunately! However as far as we're concerned, we're leaving for good - no intention of coming back!

I also read of extra baggage benefits with certain airlines via certain money transfer companies or migrant banking, which may apply to us.

Failing all that, we could go via LA for a short break (after all this organising we'll need it!), which would get us extra baggage for a fraction of the cost of going via UAE, Singapore etc etc. I just secretly want to go to Disneyland :o)

LOL!!!!

We all wanna go to disneyland!!!

I'm going on a 457 also, and im sure that i read somewhere, that if you can prove your going for good, i.e. oneway ticket, that would suffice.....

I'll let you know when i get to that stage. Just been on gumtree.com.au, looking at short-term lets. Might be easier and cheaper to share a place with someone..... mrs has to approve though.. (they always get the last say!)

and look at getting finance for a car when i'm out there.

Be careful with this mate as when you move here the credit history is lost. Ridiculous but true. I tried to get finance for a car and did not manage. Financial institutions vary, but from my experience I had to be at least 6 months full time working and you have to show work contract. Some of them accepted 3 months, but the rate was higher and had to put a couple of thousands on the car.

Never assume things when you come to oz, always check how things work and be prepared ;) your success will be higher.

Cheers

Biker

Archived