Guest Slainte

Any recommendations for mobile phone and broadband suppliers?

Guest Slainte

I am moving to Mackay, QLD (in just over a week) and I would like to get, as soon as I can, a mobile phone and broadband to be able to contact home etc. Can anyone recommend a good mobile phone operator who also supplies a high speed "dongle" for broadband? And what do they normally charge? Or would I be better off not getting a "dongle" and going for something else? Obviously, speed is of the essence so I imagine getting the "dongle" would be the quickest way to get broadband? I had an optus mobile when I was on my WHV, I had no problems with them but I didn't have any "dongle" back then!

Thanks in advance for the advice.

:hug:

Guest Ph0en1x

Telstra is the best, but charges a little more usually.

I want it all, and I want it now.

Be prepared for rather slow broadband - not anywhere close to the UK so if you are wanting it to skype would recommend getting broadband without a dongle. Our broadband is with TPG but don't know if they service QLD as we are in NSW.

You need to check out the coverage for mobiles as will depend on where you are. If you go on their websites I think you can do a free coverage check! Mobile companies include Telstra, Optus, Vodafone and Virgin. All plans much of a muchness in my experience.

Becky

Dyslexia NSW www.dyslexia-nsw.com.au

This site will show you which providers are where and you can type in addresses to see how far you are from the exchange - http://www.yourbroadband.com.au/

Also, if $60 a month isn't too much for you, get the prepaid sim from Telstra, it will give you 3GB of data (and you can tether it to your laptop) plus $940 additional to call/text, even internationally and to international mobiles. I've called internationally with it (mostly mobiles) last month for around 12 hours and could not even spend it all (I think it was worth about $700 that I called for), and that for only $60.

My OH's blog with our journey of migrating sofar.

Guest Slainte
This site will show you which providers are where and you can type in addresses to see how far you are from the exchange - http://www.yourbroadband.com.au/

Also, if $60 a month isn't too much for you, get the prepaid sim from Telstra, it will give you 3GB of data (and you can tether it to your laptop) plus $940 additional to call/text, even internationally and to international mobiles. I've called internationally with it (mostly mobiles) last month for around 12 hours and could not even spend it all (I think it was worth about $700 that I called for), and that for only $60.

Wow, that's impressive Nathalie. Problem solved so methinks! I was going to go with Telstra anyway as I'll be moving to Mackay and even though it is a fair sized city in it's own right has only Telstra for reliable coverage. Thanks again!

P.S. Do you know what plan that was that you got from Telstra so i can quote it to the people in the shop I go to?

Slainte, can I ask what mobile phone you plan on using?

My OH's blog with our journey of migrating sofar.

Guest brookecaeser041