Visiting Melbourne in July - wanna meet up?!

Guest ThreeShiresinOz

Guest ThreeShiresinOz

Hi, we're new to this forum and are planning moving to Melbourne by the end of 2011. Hubby is in medical profession so he's looking to get sponsored fairly quickly. We're going to visit in July for a recce - both in terms of work locations and possible places to live. We've got several job opportunities in south east Melbourne - around Frankston and Mornington Peninsula. We've got a six month old son and we'd be grateful for any advice on areas that are particularly good for young families e.g. baby clubs, future schools! Also, we're looking for good places for outdoor activities as we're keen to take up sailing again and play tennis etc. We'd really like to live near the beach.

If anyone living in south east Melbourne would like to meet up in July and tell us all about how wonderful your new life is, we'd be all ears!

Guest JUST IN TIME

Hi I have lived in Mornington for the past 2 1/2 years with my husband and two sons aged 10 and 11 and love it, wouldnt live anywhere else. I dont sail but have friends that do. We have fantastic beaches and great shops. I wouldnt live in Frankston unless its South Frankston, its a bit rough. I have a friend that has just had a child and she is always out with other Mums and clubs. We would be happy to meet up with you when you come to visit.

Good luck

Justine

We are not into sailing but there are clubs on the Peninsula, Balnarring, Mornington, being closer to the the hospital. South Frankston is a nice area to live and there are a lot of houses on larger lots there. Up around Humphries Road is nice but pricey. In fact most of South Frankston can be pricey due to the high school zoning and the competition from people wanting to live in the zone.

We live on the Westernport Side of the Peninsula and its an easier commute from this side as we have the train and the bus plus its quicker to get into Frankston from this side. Also with the new Peninsula Link it will be a quick pop onto it for us.

We have lived here on the Peninsula for 25 years now and we would not move from here.

hi, we live on the peninsula in mount martha. We've only been here 8mths but love it. We're close to the beaches and get out on the water whenever we can in our little boat, its old but loads of fun. I work at Frankston hospital and in the mental health team. What field is ur hubby in? There always seems to be plenty of jobs especially in the mental health field. As Just in time says, we wouldn't choose to live in frankston although they reckon south frankston is ok. Mt Martha/ mornington and the peninsula in general seems to have a lot to offer. We're a family of 3 with a soon to be 13yr old.

Guest ThreeShiresinOz

Thanks so much for this info - all really helpful. We just need to have the annual leave confirmed and then we can book our flights! We'd love to meet up, Just in Time - we'll message you when we're sure of our trip dates.

Look forward to getting to know all of you more on these fora - just need to find the time to pore over all the useful info (not easy with a baby!).

Guest JUST IN TIME

I dont envy you doing the move with a baby. We did it with our two boys as I said 2 yrs 8mths ago they are 10 and 11 now and that was hard enough.

Elliott-Family - was it the job that bought you here?

If anyone else would like to meet up one day for a coffee or wine let me know!

Just

xx xx

Guest ThreeShiresinOz
I dont envy you doing the move with a baby. We did it with our two boys as I said 2 yrs 8mths ago they are 10 and 11 now and that was hard enough.

Just

xx xx

We're not looking forward to the 27hr flight, that's for sure! Going to search the forum for people who have travelled with babies - there might be some good tips!

Just

xx xx

No. Initially we were gonna go to geelong side where i had a job sorted. Then we visited the Mrs' cousin here on the Peninsula. Once we actually came to the Peninsula and saw how beautiful it was and what it offered for a lifestyle I was 'told' i had to find a job here and Frankston are always advertising!! Certainly don't regret common here, we love it :biggrin:

Guest JUST IN TIME
We're not looking forward to the 27hr flight, that's for sure! Going to search the forum for people who have travelled with babies - there might be some good tips!

PHENERGAN aparently is the way to go

Good luck

Just

• 1 month later...
Guest coopercav

Hi, we live in Frankston South and my wife works at Frankston hospital. Love the area, local schools are great and the beaches fantastic. It's a good central location to the city or further down the Peninsular. Definitely a good choice of area and with the Peninsula link freeway opening soon, even better and train link straight to the city. More than happy to help with any specific questions about area, schools, hospitals or areas if we can or meet up when you get here.

Guest ThreeShiresinOz

Hi All! The last few months have flown by. We're coming out to Melbourne next weekend (arriving Sat 16th) and staying until Fri 22nd, so we don't have long. Just wondered if anyone was free to meet up during the week? Thank you for the offer of meeting on the weekend, DannyCoyles, but I think we'll still be a bit jetlagged and will want to stay around the CBD on Sunday. Thanks for offering to help with advice though - as you have a baby of a similar age to our son, I'm sure I'll think of lots of questions to ask you when we've made our decision to move!

On another note, we told our families this week that we're considering a move (we left it late, I know!) and they're not at all happy about it. Anyone else have to persuade family that it's the right thing to do for them?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nikki35
hi, we live on the peninsula in mount martha. We've only been here 8mths but love it. We're close to the beaches and get out on the water whenever we can in our little boat, its old but loads of fun. I work at Frankston hospital and in the mental health team. What field is ur hubby in? There always seems to be plenty of jobs especially in the mental health field. As Just in time says, we wouldn't choose to live in frankston although they reckon south frankston is ok. Mt Martha/ mornington and the peninsula in general seems to have a lot to offer. We're a family of 3 with a soon to be 13yr old.

Hi there.....My partner is looking for jobs in Mental Health and we actually luv Mount martha?? didnt realize there was psychi facilities that way out?? I will tell him as we would luv to live near the beach?? Sorry to but into ya conversation but were due to move out soon my partner is just waiting for his Nursing registration......yawn very slow they are........but hey will be worth it??? We have 2 kids one is 3 and the other is 11mths....and were wondering about childcare??? Cant ever seem to find prices and nobody seems to get back to you when you email them....If you know of any could ya let me know???? Thanks....Nic x

Hi there.....My partner is looking for jobs in Mental Health and we actually luv Mount martha?? didnt realize there was psychi facilities that way out?? I will tell him as we would luv to live near the beach?? Sorry to but into ya conversation but were due to move out soon my partner is just waiting for his Nursing registration......yawn very slow they are........but hey will be worth it??? We have 2 kids one is 3 and the other is 11mths....and were wondering about childcare??? Cant ever seem to find prices and nobody seems to get back to you when you email them....If you know of any could ya let me know???? Thanks....Nic x

Childcare fees can vary depending on area, we pay $315 for 5 days a week per child. I'm not sure if every visa type gets this but we are on a PR (175) and we get 50% of our fees back (up to $7500 per year, per child). We can choose to have it paid at the end of the tax year, every quarter or to have it paid weekly either directly to us or to the childcare centre. We choose to have it paid directly to the childcare center. this is non-means tested but you need to apply to centrelink for the childcare rebate to qualify. It is however a lot of paperwork to start off with, but their online services are well worth registering for, you can access all your details and manage everything from there once setup.

So for 2 kids we pay $315 per week. I think thats fairly good. I know some areas are over $500 per child for a full week, normally closer to the city it gets more expensive. Try searching for ABC early learning centres, it will at least give you an indication of the price for each area you are considering. There is also a reduced rate depending on your income, not sure how that works as we are over the threashold to qualify, but if they ask about your rebate percentage just say 0, it can be worked out later.

I actually decided to call ABC in mt martha, they charge $74.10 per day for over 3's and $75.60 under 3's. Hopefully this helps.

Dan.

Guest nikki35
Childcare fees can vary depending on area, we pay $315 for 5 days a week per child. I'm not sure if every visa type gets this but we are on a PR (175) and we get 50% of our fees back (up to $7500 per year, per child). We can choose to have it paid at the end of the tax year, every quarter or to have it paid weekly either directly to us or to the childcare centre. We choose to have it paid directly to the childcare center. this is non-means tested but you need to apply to centrelink for the childcare rebate to qualify. It is however a lot of paperwork to start off with, but their online services are well worth registering for, you can access all your details and manage everything from there once setup.

So for 2 kids we pay $315 per week. I think thats fairly good. I know some areas are over $500 per child for a full week, normally closer to the city it gets more expensive. Try searching for ABC early learning centres, it will at least give you an indication of the price for each area you are considering. There is also a reduced rate depending on your income, not sure how that works as we are over the threashold to qualify, but if they ask about your rebate percentage just say 0, it can be worked out later.

I actually decided to call ABC in mt martha, they charge $74.10 per day for over 3's and $75.60 under 3's. Hopefully this helps.

Dan.

Hey thanks for that info.....That is super cheap. Well initially we will be on a 457 but after that it will be PR 175?? As the hospital well help my partner with it. Great news...We pay double that for 3 days a week.....Grrrrrr...