moving back a possible disaster

Guest jak2503

Guest Ph0en1x
Trying to work it out, i think i meant square yards. lol

Still the houses are massive in Australia compared to the tiny chicken hutch houses in the uk.

You are generalising, houses around us command $650 - $750 k on a block of 500 sq metres, its not the house that is the value its the size of the block and certainly here new blocks of 750 sq metres are worth 600k for new builds

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I don't know what point your making, surely you accept that houses in Australia in general are far bigger than the uk?

Guest Ph0en1x
I don't know what point your making, surely you accept that houses in Australia in general are far bigger than the uk?

No i dont agree, it depends upon where in Australia and where in the UK, there are lots of "chicken coops" here too.

Would you say this house in Regional NSW is huge

http://www.homesales.com.au/buy/new-south-wales/armidale/house/hs52380.aspx

$405,000, its not un-typical

Guest The Ropey HOFF

We will have to agree to disagree on this one we looked at dozens of estates when we were in Brisbane and Perth and at least 80% of the big houses we saw and we saw thousands upon thousands were the same size or bigger as about 20% of houses here in the uk. Of course there are small houses in Oz, but there are far more, terrace, flats, back to back, semi detached, all very small houses, compared to the majority of houses in Australia.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Heres a few pictures of an house we could have bought for £200,000 including land, before the uk went into recession, it would have cost us less than $500,000 it was massive 230 squares, absolutely fabulous and this house would cost double this in the uk where we live in Dewsbury which is a low price area.

the-ropey-hoff-albums-australia1-picture7745-pic286.jpg

Guest The Ropey HOFF

the-ropey-hoff-albums-australia1-picture7744-pic279.jpg

You see ............. the outside living space can be just as great as the fantastic inside space, you can't have this in the uk.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one we looked at dozens of estates when we were in Brisbane and Perth and at least 80% of the big houses we saw and we saw thousands upon thousands were the same size or bigger as about 20% of houses here in the uk. Of course there are small houses in Oz, but there are far more, terrace, flats, back to back, semi detached, all very small houses, compared to the majority of houses in Australia.

I dont think you can really generalize like that. What you must have been looking at is the new build estates:arghh: McMansion Waters - and certainly the trend is for new builds to be big open space affairs (not very handy for heating and cooling!) on tiny little blocks. Older houses here reflect the decade they were built, in the same way that they do in UK and, of course, far more in UK are older and reflect the time they were built.

We live in an inner suburb in a tiny 3 bed weatherboard on a quarter acre, smaller than your house if your calculations are right and the going price for houses like ours is $650 - $700k at the moment. For £420k I could get a very nice place even in the outskirts of London - inner London would be a bit tricky of course (my son just got a very nice place for £270k about the same size as ours, smaller block).

In my fantasies, of course, I look at what I could move into in UK if we sold this place and,now, with the current rate of exchange I am more than enthused by what would be possible - there are some fabulous bargains (comparatively)

More desirable area are paid for by the foot and land does not come cheap the closer to the city and amenities here in Aus. It always comes back to land value. Buyiing a McMansion on a miniscule block will not appreciate as much as run down little house on more land.

There are many 12 square houses in Australia and sometimes I wish I had one. We rattle around now that our children have moved on. If I did not like where I live a nice small cottage would do me fine. Easy to clean, cheap to heat and cool.

Its not just about the size of house its about how much we have to pay to run the thing as well. :spinny:

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Thats because the uk is still struggling to come out of recession and Australia is booming, anyone coming back can take advantage of this and obviously houses are dearer nearer to the city, i have always said this, but in general houses are on average far bigger in Australia than the uk.

The average house price in Australia is probably dearer than the uk, but the average house is so much bigger and on more land and these houses would be just unaffordable to the majority in the uk. A $500,000 house in AUS would cost about £400,000 in the uk.

But would the average dept be greater in Aus despite how big your house is?

Guest Ph0en1x

Very very nice Dawn, i hope you realize your dream:biggrin:

Makes me wonder what the reaction would have been if someone moving back to to Oz had put something like this in the Welcome forum. At the end of the day those of us who are moving back didn't come down in the last shower, we understand what the UK is for us as individuals and decisions to move in any direction should be respected

Guest Scotinaus

Oz service is hit and miss (although it's better in Melbourne than in other places I've been) but I don't think you can say all the food outside of London in the UK is crap! It totally depends on where you choose to eat (or buy). Perhaps I'm biased as I'm from Scotland and some of the food up there is heaven. And before you ask, I don't count deep fried mars bars as food! :)

Oz service is hit and miss (although it's better in Melbourne than in other places I've been) but I don't think you can say all the food outside of London in the UK is crap! It totally depends on where you choose to eat (or buy). Perhaps I'm biased as I'm from Scotland and some of the food up there is heaven. And before you ask, I don't count deep fried mars bars as food! :)

Well I'm generalizing here, Nando and wetherspoons I suppose are ok but saying that any were you have to go and order your food at a counter should not be classified as a restaurant. Hang on a sec I forgot all about the Indian restaurants, as far as I'm concerned best service in Britain.

Guest siamsusie

I dont think you can beat the UK for international food.

The quality and quantity is hard to beat.

Something for each pocket, with good service.

An old UK law is...

Q. What if I didn't get ill, but the food simply wasn't up to scratch?

It's totally legal to refuse to pay because you believe the food was not of satisfactory quality. You should explain the reasons to the restaurant and leave your name and address. However, many restaurants can become angry at this and may pressure you into paying. If this is the case you should write on the back of the bill that you are "paying under protest".

I have enjoy ed some wonderful meals in Australia with good service but I have also had some shockers.

FYI, new build houses in Australia are, on average, 3 times the size of new builds in the UK. Not sure about the average of all homes.

Guest guest36187

Hoff.....think of the people in the UK and the land mass they have to put them in! Lots of space here for fewer people!

Guest siamsusie

In Northern WA, where the prices are not cheap, I have had some pretty disgusting food.

I found it better to go and eat in the Miner's camps than the restaurants and hotels.