moving back a possible disaster

Guest jak2503

Guest jak2503

hi all,

just a quick one on heading back to blighty, we arrived back 2 weeks ago, im starting to think its been a big mistake, we headed back after two years in aus, the missing of family ect was the main reason, we went to oz for no reason other than the challenge of somthing new and exiting, i worked for all of the time there and we had some really good friends, however it seemed right to head back (family ilness ect) . after getting back we were in total shock, the unemployment is massive where we live, (was thriving when we left) family were pleased to see us for about a day , its back to normall already, house prices seem to have risen here, freinds are still here, their lives have not changed which is fine because thats a individual choice, however we have changed a lot, we are more independant as a family unit, we no longer need family to dictate our lives any more, and yes the green rolling fields are lovely, but so were the hinterlands of qld, marks and spencer rocks but so does big w. coffee here is shocking and going to the pub involves not taking a piss due to the possibility of being mugged by a 14 year old on coke!!! wine bars have sprung up every where and folks seem to go in and pretend their somthing else due to the fact their in a wine bar, honestly it baffled me when i bumped into some old friends acting like somthing from a flaming reality show, food is cheap as chips here, fuel is through the roof expensive, all people talk about is how crap the govt is, there is no positivity about the place, i spoke to so family friends about the floods and the damage it caused and also the spirit of how people turned up to help out because its about "doing the right thing" , one bloke said how pathetic it was that the govt needed to get the public to help out, i nealy swung for him, but thats the spirit of the uk, no motivation at all, this is only how i see it so dont leap on me, i just want folks to understand that heading back to the uk may not be the right thing to do, we were so exited at the thought of heading back, only two weeks in and were almost broken, one more thing, nothing is free here, the weather is bland and dreary, i read folks banging on about driving through the countryside here for a lovely pub lunch in a beer garden with the kids a watching a fantastic sunset over the hills, reality is cheap microwaved pub food indoors due to the dreary rain with the kids moaning because the beergarden is vandalised and full of vomit and needles, oh and you know that carvery or fish and chips your dying to have when you arrive, well it tastes great but after you have had it you wonder why you missed it, i hope those who are back in blighty are enjoying there time here and not having the fun times im haveing, to those in aus, think before you head back in fact try a holiday before you ship it all back. this is only my opinions so dont bag me to much,

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ph0en1x

So during the 2 years in Oz how many times did you go back on holiday. We have been here 8 years and go back every year so we know exactly what awaits us when we move back

Guest Ph0en1x

Maybe you should move to a different area, apart from Kings Cross in Sydney i have never come accross a beer garden strewn with needles and vomit

Guest jak2503

unfortunatly we couldnt have holidays back in the uk, financilay wise it wasnt possible, ive looked at different areas i have some family in cornwall but to move there is not a viable option due to house prices and wages not being so good, not a city person unfortunatly so thats not a option, on another note i went to the local park thismorning , very nice bang on the broads, and full of broken beer bottles, i called the council 24 hour line and was told that it would be cleared on monday, because it will probably be full of more kids dinking tonight so there no point in doing it twice, im not saying all of the uk is like it, but if im coming back its to spend time with family not really to live elsewhere in uk, im aware its not all like this but i find it such a shame.

Guest Ph0en1x

I'm sorry that it hasn't worked out for you. You may be feeling this way because of the upheaval in your life right now. Certainly the UK is not alone in regards to broken bottles, the yobs of today do not discriminate no matter what country. There are some very very tacky parts of Australia too its not just a UK issue. I would give it time, things may change for you when you get good housing and a good job.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

The job situation isn't good where we are, most new jobs created are low paid, part time and temporary contracts ............ its a sign of the times i'm afraid, my son who is 16 has just applied for a job at Halfords, there were two jobs, one for 15 hours and another for 7 hours. on the minimum wage and the guy at the shop said that he has been inundated by applications. Its suposedly better in some areas down South, but up North most areas are struggling. I hope things pick up for you.

hi all,

just a quick one on heading back to blighty, we arrived back 2 weeks ago, im starting to think its been a big mistake, we headed back after two years in aus, the missing of family ect was the main reason, we went to oz for no reason other than the challenge of somthing new and exiting, i worked for all of the time there and we had some really good friends, however it seemed right to head back (family ilness ect) . after getting back we were in total shock, the unemployment is massive where we live, (was thriving when we left) family were pleased to see us for about a day , its back to normall already, house prices seem to have risen here, freinds are still here, their lives have not changed which is fine because thats a individual choice, however we have changed a lot, we are more independant as a family unit, we no longer need family to dictate our lives any more, and yes the green rolling fields are lovely, but so were the hinterlands of qld, marks and spencer rocks but so does big w. coffee here is shocking and going to the pub involves not taking a piss due to the possibility of being mugged by a 14 year old on coke!!! wine bars have sprung up every where and folks seem to go in and pretend their somthing else due to the fact their in a wine bar, honestly it baffled me when i bumped into some old friends acting like somthing from a flaming reality show, food is cheap as chips here, fuel is through the roof expensive, all people talk about is how crap the govt is, there is no positivity about the place, i spoke to so family friends about the floods and the damage it caused and also the spirit of how people turned up to help out because its about "doing the right thing" , one bloke said how pathetic it was that the govt needed to get the public to help out, i nealy swung for him, but thats the spirit of the uk, no motivation at all, this is only how i see it so dont leap on me, i just want folks to understand that heading back to the uk may not be the right thing to do, we were so exited at the thought of heading back, only two weeks in and were almost broken, one more thing, nothing is free here, the weather is bland and dreary, i read folks banging on about driving through the countryside here for a lovely pub lunch in a beer garden with the kids a watching a fantastic sunset over the hills, reality is cheap microwaved pub food indoors due to the dreary rain with the kids moaning because the beergarden is vandalised and full of vomit and needles, oh and you know that carvery or fish and chips your dying to have when you arrive, well it tastes great but after you have had it you wonder why you missed it, i hope those who are back in blighty are enjoying there time here and not having the fun times im haveing, to those in aus, think before you head back in fact try a holiday before you ship it all back. this is only my opinions so dont bag me to much,

Good Lord, where have you moved back to...?!!!! We have been back since end August last year and I haven't seen anything like this. We are also having a dry spell at the moment they are talking about a drought, we are hoping for rain because the garden is so dry.

Your experience really does sound awful it must be dreadful for you. It's strange isn't it that people return because they miss family and often they wish they hadn't...that was like us in reverse-we went to Oz because we had no family here and they were all there, but we hated it in Australia and returned to our lovely life here. Horses for courses but we are in a lovely area and loving life. I really hope that you can sort this out....can you move or move back to Oz...being unhappy where you are really is a dreadful feeling!

Good luck to you

Guest jak2503
The job situation isn't good where we are, most new jobs created are low paid, part time and temporary contracts ............ its a sign of the times i'm afraid, my son who is 16 has just applied for a job at Halfords, there were two jobs, one for 15 hours and another for 7 hours. on the minimum wage and the guy at the shop said that he has been inundated by applications. Its suposedly better in some areas down South, but up North most areas are struggling. I hope things pick up for you.

yeah my wife applied for a job the other day, she had covered every criteria on the list and was confidant, only to be told she was up against 100s of other applicants and may not even get a interview, ive been told to get rid of quals of my cv because i may be seen as over qualified for some jobs, when i used to recruit for employees i would look at quals as a bonus even to be a credit for the person applying for a position, it always showed drive and enthusiasm and the ability to perform a better job. as for trying to claim unemployment benefit thats another thread on its own,

Guest jak2503
Good Lord, where have you moved back to...?!!!! We have been back since end August last year and I haven't seen anything like this. We are also having a dry spell at the moment they are talking about a drought, we are hoping for rain because the garden is so dry.

Your experience really does sound awful it must be dreadful for you. It's strange isn't it that people return because they miss family and often they wish they hadn't...that was like us in reverse-we went to Oz because we had no family here and they were all there, but we hated it in Australia and returned to our lovely life here. Horses for courses but we are in a lovely area and loving life. I really hope that you can sort this out....can you move or move back to Oz...being unhappy where you are really is a dreadful feeling!

Good luck to you

i think pssibly a lot of where you live is a lot to do with it, unfortunatly here is very dead, shame really, no industry of any kind left, all the shops in the high street have been replaced with poundland, wilkinsons, qd, charity shops, ect, even the wimpy has changed to a crappy cafe,

i think pssibly a lot of where you live is a lot to do with it, unfortunatly here is very dead, shame really, no industry of any kind left, all the shops in the high street have been replaced with poundland, wilkinsons, qd, charity shops, ect, even the wimpy has changed to a crappy cafe,

What area is this?

I agree with connie, if you are unhappy where you are maybe a move to a different area (if possible) or maybe OZ is for you after all.

sunni x

Guest Ph0en1x

Is comming back an option for you until you have planned your return better? We are very fortunate that we can move anywhere in the UK, at the end of the day it takes hours to visit family not days

hi all,

however we have changed a lot, we are more independant as a family unit, we no longer need family to dictate our lives any more,

We had the same "Problem" We feel like we don't fit in in the UK and when we go back on Holiday to South Africa, we no longer belong there either. So we off to Oz (Probably will not fit in there either :biglaugh:)

hi all,

wow! you have seen that in just 2 weeks back?. where you living?.

I'd go back to OZ.

Loads of people come back to the UK thinking that Australia wasn't for them - only to realise that it Soo was :-)

Good luck with your decision what ever it is :chatterbox:

You don't need 2 week to find out Pubfood is factory produced an reheated in a Microwave and fish and chips suck here in the UK, It took me 2 seconds after tasting it!

Oh come on be realistic, decided to come back to the uk then just 2 weeks puts a post up like that about the uk, something deffo funny going on here re the op

and fish and chips suck here in the UK, It took me 2 seconds after tasting it!

NNNOOOOOOOO!!!:arghh: How dare you diss the fish and chips!!! Thats like kicking the Queen on the butt!! DEFINATELY THE BEST IN THE WORLD!!! They are actually one of the things I WILL miss!! :laugh: (I hope my mums not reading this!)

XX

Oh come on be realistic, decided to come back to the uk then just 2 weeks puts a post up like that about the uk, something deffo funny going on here re the op

Well it is true about the food!

Well they found out they made the wrong decision, its not like going to Oz and after 2 weeks deciding you don't like it, coming from the UK you will pick the vibe up a lot quicker as it will be familiar. It looks like in the end they will ping pong.

NNNOOOOOOOO!!!:arghh: How dare you diss the fish and chips!!! Thats like kicking the Queen on the butt!! DEFINATELY THE BEST IN THE WORLD!!! They are actually one of the things I WILL miss!! :laugh: (I hope my mums not reading this!)

XX

Well Lisa I don't understand how you can say that, there is more batter then fish and the batter is saturated in oil yuck. Do yourself favor, when you book that flight to OZ, do it via Capetown, when you get there pop down to Hout Bay to Snoekies and get yourself some Snoek (Barracuda) you will never eat that vile Cod again:biglaugh:

That’s a big list of negatives to have collected in just two short weeks! I don’t doubt what you have written as I know that the situations and circumstances you describe exist the world over however, it isn’t reality for every one here in the UK. It genuinely isn’t my experience, or that of a number of other people on PIO I’d guess.

You have been back a very short while, and uprooting yourself and your family to travel half way around the world is an enormous challenge, whichever direction you are travelling in. Give yourself a break and a little time to adjust. Try not to compare (either with Oz, or your life before you left for Oz if possible) and look for any positive opportunities you may find to make a new life here. Easy for me to say I know, however, there are definitely other areas within the UK that are not as you describe. Going by the posts of those who have experienced it first hand, Pingponging between the UK and Oz can be costly – both financially and emotionally.

I hope things works out for you.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I have been on her for 3 years now and i have seen varying times that people have decided that the uk and Oz isn't for them, i first gawped at someone deciding that ALL of Australia was awful and not for them, they hated it with a passion, in ............... 1 month. Thats right one whole month. The earliest i have seen since then is ........... 2 weeks, but the best and funniest one i have seen was someone saying he knew he had made a mistake within 10 minutes of getting off the plane at Heathrow. lol

Theres no time limit to this we are all different, maybe if everyone of those who make these quick decisions, give it more time, they might change their mind, but why should they, its their choice.

hi all,

Not Changed that much then.

Sounds like you need to move again

A bit like the possies who now have a big house and a swimming pool

And you brought heaps of it with you

If the last two months have been dreary then, then whats good weather

Well you know what the aussies say? if you don't like .

My advise if you can afford it go back to Aus. Your right about people being negative in the UK, and its the people who make a great country. So we don't need any more negativity. Australia is a great country because of its people,

Bod