college in UK but what will it be in Brisbane?

Guest Millbrook

Guest Millbrook

Hi

I am 16yrs old and finishing my exams at school now. I have a place at 6th form College which starts in September.

My question is this my mum & dad are thinking of making the move to Oz at the end of this year (we have are visas), so what are the equivalent of colleges in Brisbane I should be looking into? I have heard that I will have to pay to attend college (sorry dad will)

Any advise will be a help, as my mum has told me I need to get soon research done before we go.

Thank you

Becky:biggrin:

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi Becky

my son is 16 and just finishing his GCSE's and we have signed him up to do his A levels here in the uk partly because his results will get him into a great University in Australia and the fees are at least half the cost of the £9,000 a year fees here.

I know this doesn't help, but we were going to go after his GCSE's and let him go into the last 2 years of school education in Brisbane, to again get him into university over there. The problem is, we can't for certain work out if he had two years left, it depends on when he was born, which month and also it differs from state to state.

Are you wanting to go to uni?

And if you do, contact the schools in the areas that you are going to live and ask them, if you are eligible for the last two years, which would get you a place at uni if you do well and the school might be free.

Best of luck.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Just one other thing, i think i read somewhere that even if you don't have the time to do the last two years because of your age, some schools allow you to go back into the previous year, which still might get you the last two years, which you need to get into university over in Australia, you need to ask the schools when you contact them, unless your set on college, but it will cost you.

The final two years of school - so the equivalent of A levels are done in school in Australia. They are a two year course and in order to get your required number of points etc to graduate from school in Qld, you have to take a minimum of 5 subjects for 4 semesters each - giving you a total of 20 points of study. Without the correct number of points, it becomes very complicated when trying to apply to University as you will not have a recognised qualification.

Love

Rudi

x

The final two years of school - so the equivalent of A levels are done in school in Australia. They are a two year course and in order to get your required number of points etc to graduate from school in Qld, you have to take a minimum of 5 subjects for 4 semesters each - giving you a total of 20 points of study. Without the correct number of points, it becomes very complicated when trying to apply to University as you will not have a recognised qualification.

Love

Rudi

x

This was the reason we came when we did so our daughter could get her 2 years in.

It seemed like a waste of time her sitting her GCSE's has they're not recognised here.

Howard

Hi there Becky

Hope your GCSE's are over and you can now start to enjoy the summer!

Wishing you and your family all the best in Brisbane, you will love it!

I was an A Level and College lecturer in the UK. I went to Brisbane to teach here

http://www.ef.com.ly/master/ia/destinations/ap/BRS/index.asp

They offer something called the International Baccalaureate which is accepted by universities all over the world. They may even now do A level subjects there. Plus you will be surrounded by students from all over the world etc and have a more multicultural education.

Please send the school a message and ask them. I am sure the Principal is from the UK and will be able to answer any queries you may have.

Alternatively, have you thought what you would like to study at University? As maybe a TAFE (Further Education College) may be able to offer you vocational training etc

http://www.southbank.edu.au/site/programs/pathways/index.asp

They offer university pathways and credits think like a National Diploma etc to then get you into university etc or study to a certain level at TAFE then go onto university.

Will your parents be going on a Temporary or Permanent visa? as this may affect the amount you have to pay. :arghh:

you would only do year 12 in australia at high school

http://www.ourbrisbane.com/lifestyle/parenting-and-families/high-school

ask me if you need any more help

good luck with it all, x

Guest Millbrook

Thank you very much Krestsaf for your reply very helpful. I will look up the links you gave in your post.

I have two more weeks then have finished my exams.

My parents have Permanent visa. (which ends April 2012, so we have to make the move before that runs out)

In your post you say I would "only do year 12 in australia at high school" I am a little confused:unsure: Would I have to sit exams again at the end of their year 12 and then go on to a TAFE college. Is it not possible to apply to a TAFE college now (after looking into the courses they provide) or is it mandatory I do the final year 12 in a high school.

I think I have got a bit mixed up:eek:.

I will have a look at the sites you have suggested

Thank you again

Becky

Thank you very much Krestsaf for your reply very helpful. I will look up the links you gave in your post.

I have two more weeks then have finished my exams.

My parents have Permanent visa. (which ends April 2012, so we have to make the move before that runs out)

In your post you say I would "only do year 12 in australia at high school" I am a little confused:unsure: Would I have to sit exams again at the end of their year 12 and then go on to a TAFE college. Is it not possible to apply to a TAFE college now (after looking into the courses they provide) or is it mandatory I do the final year 12 in a high school.

I think I have got a bit mixed up:eek:.

I will have a look at the sites you have suggested

Thank you again

Becky

Becky, if you only do year 12, you would not have the necessary qualifications to get into Uni, so you could then do a TAFE bridging course in order to then apply to Uni. However, if you just do years 11 and 12, which are the equivalent of something like a sixth form college, then you would have what you needed to apply for Uni. It would be VERY rare for someone not to complete year 12 in school in Queensland. What some kids do is kind of part time school and part time TAFE. That tends to be for the more vocational kinds of courses......but they still need their Queensland leaving certificate and the correct number of "points" from courses to apply to uni.

Love

Rudi

x

I went to a meeting at school a couple of weeks ago - my daughter is in year 10.......and I have to say, it all became a bit clearer to me then too :wink:

It is actually a VERY complicated qualification to figure out how it all works!!

Love

Rudi

x