and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest Andy

Have you ever thought of re training?

Guest Andy

Afternoon everybody,

I have been thinking a lot recently about maybe re training for another career not sure exactly what but i certainly have a few ideas, i am a builder and over the last few years have been getting a bit disillusioned with it all for various reasons, for example there are to many builders fighting over the same jobs at the moment and i cant see that changing for a long time, also the massive influx of foreign workers has really had a big affect on buisness ( but thats another argument for another day ) and thats without the massive amount of paperwork and elf n safety ( beurocracy ) involved.

Not only all of the above but i am knocking on a bit (40 this year) and i dont think physically i could do what i now do until retirement age.

Obviously i will have to take moving to oz ( if we do ) into consideration and if i could re train over there.

So basically have any of you guys got to a certain age and decided you wanted a change, what have you done about it, and was it a succesful transition, also anyone out there feel like me about your respective career?:unsure:

Guest guest37336
Afternoon everybody,

I have been thinking a lot recently about maybe re training for another career not sure exactly what but i certainly have a few ideas, i am a builder and over the last few years have been getting a bit disillusioned with it all for various reasons, for example there are to many builders fighting over the same jobs at the moment and i cant see that changing for a long time, also the massive influx of foreign workers has really had a big affect on buisness ( but thats another argument for another day ) and thats without the massive amount of paperwork and elf n safety ( beurocracy ) involved.

Not only all of the above but i am knocking on a bit (40 this year) and i dont think physically i could do what i now do until retirement age.

So basically have any of you guys got to a certain age and decided you wanted a change, what have you done about it, and was it a succesful transition, also anyone out there feel like me?:unsure:

Retrained on a couple of occasions Andy. From qualified chippy to many other types of employment, when needs must and all that.

Now at the stage where I am very happy doing what I am doing, (only took 35 jobs to get there, :goofy::biglaugh:) but my motto would be mate, if you fancy a change go for it.

At the very least you may learn a new skill, and it 'may' work out or it may not, but at least you will have your building credentials to fall back on if needs must.

But go for it Andy, I know it can seem a pain in the rectum, but the more strings to the old bow the more likely you will always be able to find employ mate and you never know you may well enjoy the new lease of life.

Cheers Tony.:wink:

Guest The Ropey HOFF

It said on the news that 81% of new jobs created in the last year have gone to foreign workers and it said they were willing to work for peanuts and the result was that our youngsters can't get work and with a million youths unemployed something needs to change.

As for re-training ............... i think i am too old for that but you never know.

Guest Andy
It said on the news that 81% of new jobs created in the last year have gone to foreign workers and it said they were willing to work for peanuts and the result was that our youngsters can't get work and with a million youths unemployed something needs to change.

As for re-training ............... i think i am too old for that but you never know.

Alright ropey one,

how old are you? I am nearly 40 so i am thinking that if i am going to do something else than i had better pull my finger out.

With regard to the foreign worker point, i priced a big job with a friend of mine in the village just up the road and we made a massive effort to get it spending what amounted to what must have been a week pricing it, sourcing the materials etc and lost it to a builder from god knows where who uses just foreign workers, we just cannot compete with them, but that is just one of the reasons i fancy a change and do not want to dwell just on that.

Guest Gothic Rose

I think about it a lot due to the fact I dont fit in on any skills list & dont have a normal employment history. Thus the whole migration to Oz has thrown up all kinds of dilemas for me. However I the field I'm most suited to is ridiculously hard to get training in. & Apprenticships are so rare they're almost a mythical creature. (Tattoo apprenticship)I have lots of skills in terms of Art & craft but the kinds of feilds I could work in are never advertised it's all down to who you know.

I wouldn't have a clue what type of mainstream field to retrain in & when I look at the course fees they run into thousands which is way beyond my means.

It gets frustrating when you have the talent to produce things many cant & there is no demand for such skills as your competing against mass produced factory goods or things printed or produced on a computer.

Again I dont have the kind of finance to set up my latest business idea & turn it into something viable. I produce high quality handpainted leather jackets amongst other things that are better than the printed ones that are around. I'd love to be in a position where I could afford to be printing my own designs on leather & get my own label going. so if the illusive lotto comes up I'll be financing this new enterprise. In the meantime I look at the skills list & worry about not being able to fit & being rejected.

:wideeyed::shocked:

If you have something you want to train in & have the means to do it go for it.....

It said on the news that 81% of new jobs created in the last year have gone to foreign workersand it said they were willing to work for peanuts and the result was that our youngsters can't get work and with a million youths unemployed something needs to change.

You're never too old Ropey - what have you got to lose (except yer cushy pension etc?:eek:)

Re the "foreign workers" misinformation...

"The Office for National Statistics does produce figures for how many jobs are in the economy, but these are not broken down by the nationality of the worker, so there is no way of knowing what the proportion of new jobs going to foreign-born workers actually is."

http://fullfact.org/blog/foreign_workers_new_jobs_daily_mail_express-2449

:wubclub:

"An inspirational leader...exceptionally enthusiastic, committed and motivated" OFSTED 2014.

I worked in a couple of admin jobs for years before working in the music industry for around 8 years. That too is age limited (if you have any self respect that is...) so I started working with kids and am now three months from finishing my Social Work degree.

As for ideas for you to retrain - why not teach building skills to youngsters?

I know of private care companies that try that sort of thing, to give care leavers a trade and income when the state pulls out.

Give a man a rod etc...

"An inspirational leader...exceptionally enthusiastic, committed and motivated" OFSTED 2014.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
You're never too old Ropey - what have you got to lose (except yer cushy pension etc?:eek:)

Re the "foreign workers" misinformation...

"The Office for National Statistics does produce figures for how many jobs are in the economy, but these are not broken down by the nationality of the worker, so there is no way of knowing what the proportion of new jobs going to foreign-born workers actually is."

http://fullfact.org/blog/foreign_workers_new_jobs_daily_mail_express-2449

:wubclub:

It was on sky news this week, it said 81% of new jobs created this last year went to none British workers and there was a couple of politicians on saying the government need to sort it out, so our youngsters could get into work.

I am 51 and i can't really think what i would like to do, i like my job at present, writing in depth reports and i can't see it getting any better to be honest, but we might be getting privatised so i might have to do something else.

Guest Gothic Rose

Hey when we get to Australia & get employed we'll be foreigners that are getting the jobs & become part of the Australia statistics .....Just a thought :wideeyed:

Guest Andy
I worked in a couple of admin jobs for years before working in the music industry for around 8 years. That too is age limited (if you have any self respect that is...) so I started working with kids and am now three months from finishing my Social Work degree.

As for ideas for you to retrain - why not teach building skills to youngsters?

I know of private care companies that try that sort of thing, to give care leavers a trade and income when the state pulls out.

Give a man a rod etc...

My father is similar to you, he worked on the piling rigs for a long time but then in his mid 40s re trained and started working with disadvantaged children, he now has gone on to run various homes for the elderly through the Freemantle trust and has a career where he can work until a good age, he is 62 now.

Thanks for the tip re teaching skills, i am not sure i am cut out to teach others but its certainly worth some thought.

Only 3 months to go eh, i have much admiration for you re working with troubled youngsters, i have seen first hand through my father how tough it is.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Hey when we get to Australia & get employed we'll be the foreigners that are getting the jobs .....Just a thought :wideeyed:

Its been said before, no one has any problems with foreign workers coming to work in the uk, when we need them, currently we don't, there are 1 million youths out of work here and its a scandal, Australia let in skilled workers because they need them and they cut back when they don't, whereas the uk are told by europe what to do and with two teenagers i am concerned about them getting work here in the uk.

Guest Andy
Hey when we get to Australia & get employed we'll be foreigners that are getting the jobs .....Just a thought :wideeyed:

You are absolutly right of course and we have all had many arguments regarding just that on pio over the years, all i will say is that i think it is much tougher for someone like me and my family to get into Australia and work than it is for a European to come to England and do the same thing, the hoops we have to jump through are much higher and much smaller.

Im one of them bone idle people who has hated their job for years,being going chiropracter/osteopath for 20 years,allways said i'd retrain,all talk tho,still havnt done it,everytime i get on a nosebleed of a wall i curse me job,BUT when/if we ever get to oz i intend taking a HGV cse or maybe a plant driving cse,thats me plan anyway:wideeyed:,if i was halfways as adaptable as jan is i'd have sorted it by now,she managed 6/7 staff and a bookies for about 10 yrs,had a market stall on Kirkby market at a young age,got her NVQ's and done caring for about 6 yrs(dementia and mentally ill clients),then she started in a printers as a courier,found out the accounts clerk was leaving in a few months so went to college and done a basic computer cse,then done accounts courses,so she got the job,she also helps with all the different types of printing,so she DOES IT,i THREATEN to do it!:embarrassed:but me back wont hold out much longer bricklaying,badly worn discs so cant really cure that,so MUST retrain!:mad:

"The problem with neo conservative capitalism and it's insatiable greed for more wealth and disparity amongst the populace,is that it ended up being the catalyst for the great depression and modern recession"

Me,tonight:wubclub:

Guest Daisha Moore
Afternoon everybody,

Obviously i will have to take moving to oz ( if we do ) into consideration and if i could re train over there.

So basically have any of you guys got to a certain age and decided you wanted a change, what have you done about it, and was it a succesful transition, also anyone out there feel like me about your respective career?:unsure:

Hey,

Learning doesn't have any age. You can learn and go for training at any age. If that's really bothering you, go for any correspondence course. You can take online trainings in any field you want to step in. Lots of universities are providing online trainings. This won't put much pressure on you. Also you can continue the current job for the time being. But think of a course that's going to benefit you for rest of your life. Be assured this would be a successful transition.

I would say pick something you have a passion for and then go with it.

“Self-conceit may lead to self destruction"

Guest guest37336
I would say pick something you have a passion for and then go with it.

You're right there Chalky, without a PASSION for something, anything we do can seem little mundane and boring, but at times needs must and all that.

But you are right, if something is approached from a passionate stance (some would say I am obsessive and very belligerent in my beliefs) the job, hobby, life ambition, though at times very demanding and taxing can pay massive dividends.

Nothing wrong in passion, at times to my shame it has/does take over my life, but wouldn't have it any other way.:chatterbox:

Cheers Tony.

Guest Gothic Rose
You're right there Chalky, without a PASSION for something, anything we do can seem little mundane and boring, but at times needs must and all that.

But you are right, if something is approached from a passionate stance (some would say I am obsessive and very belligerent in my beliefs) the job, hobby, life ambition, though at times very demanding and taxing can pay massive dividends.

Nothing wrong in passion, at times to my shame it has/does take over my life, but wouldn't have it any other way.:chatterbox:

Cheers Tony.

Couldn't agree more ! :cool:

Guest Mimabean
I think about it a lot due to the fact I dont fit in on any skills list & dont have a normal employment history. Thus the whole migration to Oz has thrown up all kinds of dilemas for me. However I the field I'm most suited to is ridiculously hard to get training in. & Apprenticships are so rare they're almost a mythical creature. (Tattoo apprenticship)I have lots of skills in terms of Art & craft but the kinds of feilds I could work in are never advertised it's all down to who you know.

I wouldn't have a clue what type of mainstream field to retrain in & when I look at the course fees they run into thousands which is way beyond my means.

It gets frustrating when you have the talent to produce things many cant & there is no demand for such skills as your competing against mass produced factory goods or things printed or produced on a computer.

Again I dont have the kind of finance to set up my latest business idea & turn it into something viable. I produce high quality handpainted leather jackets amongst other things that are better than the printed ones that are around. I'd love to be in a position where I could afford to be printing my own designs on leather & get my own label going. so if the illusive lotto comes up I'll be financing this new enterprise. In the meantime I look at the skills list & worry about not being able to fit & being rejected.

:wideeyed::shocked:

If you have something you want to train in & have the means to do it go for it.....

Hi Gothic Rose, just wanted to say I wish ya the best of luck with the leather jacket business, I recently set up my own business 7 months ago and it's bloody hard work. It has also given me the panics slightly in how I'd find something other than a bar job while I'm over there, as I've done many things but not settled in one particular career path (similar to you in the arts+crafts - I've an art theory degree and craft business) but had lots of fluffy jobs in between.

Found that there's a few craft fairs over in WA that might be of interest but have considered training as a carer, social worker, and all other kinds of things that I'd enjoy. Pipedream though eh?!

Best of luck :) x

Guest Mimabean
Im one of them bone idle people who has hated their job for years,being going chiropracter/osteopath for 20 years,allways said i'd retrain,all talk tho,still havnt done it,everytime i get on a nosebleed of a wall i curse me job,BUT when/if we ever get to oz i intend taking a HGV cse or maybe a plant driving cse,thats me plan anyway:wideeyed:,if i was halfways as adaptable as jan is i'd have sorted it by now,she managed 6/7 staff and a bookies for about 10 yrs,had a market stall on Kirkby market at a young age,got her NVQ's and done caring for about 6 yrs(dementia and mentally ill clients),then she started in a printers as a courier,found out the accounts clerk was leaving in a few months so went to college and done a basic computer cse,then done accounts courses,so she got the job,she also helps with all the different types of printing,so she DOES IT,i THREATEN to do it!:embarrassed:but me back wont hold out much longer bricklaying,badly worn discs so cant really cure that,so MUST retrain!:mad:

That's a LOT of different paths! Bet she's shattered! :D

That's a LOT of different paths! Bet she's shattered! :D

She will be when i get her a part time job in a chippy bean:biggrin::wink:,nah she's really adaptable tbh,i admire her determination,knowing her she'l retrain in oz as well,might get her to do bricklaying so i can work part time walking round the park with one of those claws on a stick to pick up scraps of paper and stuff,sounds stress free,because im worth it.......:laugh:

"The problem with neo conservative capitalism and it's insatiable greed for more wealth and disparity amongst the populace,is that it ended up being the catalyst for the great depression and modern recession"

Me,tonight:wubclub:

Guest Guest 47403

I've done it aged 30 a total change in career and have made a decent job of it, now at 38 I am seriously considering doing it again though probably once we get to Oz rather than before.

My passion is writing - and I'd love to do it as a career - maybe one day. Till then it's computing. Problem is, the computing I do (mainframe cobol) won't get me a job back in Perth. There's work over east - but my family is in Perth so it seems a bit pointless going east. Hopefully I will get the chance to retrain in my industry, and then maybe one day I'll be winging it back to Perth.