Average rental price?

Hello

I am looking in to renting a property for the period after arrival, we may only have it for a few months or up to 6 months whilst we look for a house to buy

Can anyone give me a rough idea of the rental that I may be looking at paying? :unsure: I realise it depends on where you live, how many bedrooms etc etc ~ But any idea is better than no idea :wink:

Many thanks in advance :notworthy: Mayby just post the following

Location of rental:

Bedrooms:

Garden:

Pool:

General state of the house:

We've been using a couple of the local websites e.g. homehound.com.au and a map to help guide us on what roughly we'll have to compromise on when we start seriously looking for things in our budget in a few weeks.

It seems pretty much like anywhere else, location really affects what you get for your dollar. We're making a list of what's important to us - we need 3 decent size bedrooms, 1 bathroom and a further separate toilet at least, air con, offstreet parking for at least one vehicle, away from traffic noise, a reasonable outside seating area, near an exchange for decent broadband, doesn't need to be near a beach, accessible public transport would be a plus, not a horrific commute to either Subiaco or East Perth.

If you make a similar list of what will be important to you, it may help whittle down the suburbs/specifications you should look at. I'm not sure there's any such thing anywhere as a "standard" price for a rental.

I knew it would depend on alot of factors ~ But im wondering, do you have a budget in mind? :unsure:

For example: Here in the Uk our budget was £800 pcm for a rental & we did need at least 3 beds & a garden, prices did vary of course, but we knew £800 was a fair price

Guest Ph0en1x
Hello

I am looking in to renting a property for the period after arrival, we may only have it for a few months or up to 6 months whilst we look for a house to buy

Can anyone give me a rough idea of the rental that I may be looking at paying? :unsure: I realise it depends on where you live, how many bedrooms etc etc ~ But any idea is better than no idea :wink:

Many thanks in advance :notworthy: Mayby just post the following

Location of rental:

Bedrooms:

Garden:

Pool:

General state of the house:

Location of rental: Western suburbs of Sydney

Bedrooms: 3

Garden: average size

Pool: No

General state of the house Brick 2 storey

Price $600 p/w approx 400 sterling p/w

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Location of rental: Western suburbs of Sydney

Bedrooms: 3

Garden: average size

Pool: No

General state of the house Brick 2 storey

Price $600 p/w approx 400 sterling p/w

Forget pounds when your living in Australia, you will be earning dollars and the average skilled wage is paid at approximately $2.2 to £1 and if you want to compare costs before you emigrate, use the 2.2 rate, which would mean $600 would be about £280. But you can get something great for alot less than that, check out realestate.com.au and remember rentals usually include council tax.

as hoff ses, realestate.com.au not only give rental prices for areas but also area details, schools, what its like living there etc, easily the best place to start looking for rentals, be aware though that estate agents dont usually bother to reply to e-mails even, until you are in the country. nearer the sea more the rent but you get a lot more for your money.

also riewa.com.au

Guest tandcmum

i would say average rental price in Perth suburbs appears to be $450 per week, of course this can go down to $350 per wek in some further out suburbs or for something a bit smaller/older and it can go up to about $1000 per week for a huge pad overlooking the ocean

Guest Karen and Colin

Hi Kelly, We have been looking on realestate.com.au we are finding the areas and housing we are after are coming in at $350-$450 p/w. You can negotiate with the agent/owner, our friends got a really good deal by negotiating the rental price. These are all 4x2 houses. Hope this means you are feeling a bit more positive about the move again.

Hi Kelly

We looked at loads of houses in lots of different areas north and south WA

Most ranged from 375 -450 PW for something decent and many over that price.

We are now in Rockingham

3 beds

2 bath

town house /unit

double garage

and private courtyard

state of the house very clean and modern, near brand new

No pool but 2 streets back from the beach

450 PW

HTH

Sam

xx

Guest The Ropey HOFF
gosh, I get more confused by the moment, dear Ropeyhoff please explain the 2.2 exchange as I thought it was about 1.5, please go gently it's not being a good day x

Thats no problem, most of us are on here to help each other. The $2.2 to £1 rate is based on the average skilled wages in Australia and not the current exchange rate, the problem with the exchange rate is that it fluctuates throughout the year and it is only relevant when you are visiting or exchanging your pounds when emigrating and you will be earning dollars and spending dollars, not pounds.

Here is an average wages graph, if you take the top figure at the 1.5 exchange rate the average wage would be nearly £50,000 which it clearly isn't, at the 2.2 rate it works out nearer to £34,000 which is more like it.

Average Full Time Male Total earnings including overtime:

12 Months endedAnnual WageAnnual Change

May-1995.........$38,740

May-1996.........$40,378.....4.23%

May-1997.........$41,418.....2.58%

May-1998.........$43,155.....4.19%

May-1999.........$44,309.....2.68%

May-2000.........$45,900.....3.59%

May-2001.........$47,793.....4.12%

May-2002.........$50,253.....5.15%

May-2003.........$53,414.....6.29%

May-2004.........$54,938.....2.85%

May-2005.........$58,583.....6.64%

May-2006.........$59,873.....2.20%

May-2007.........$62,894.....5.05%

May-2008.........$65,686.....4.44%

May-2009.........$69,493.....5.79%

May-2010.........$73,148.....5.26%

thanks Ropeyhoff, please correct me if I'm wrong, does that equate a $90k with £40k wage over here, and if I'm comparing goods prices then if I say a family car over here costs 8k would compare to approx 17k over there .............have to go tell the parents now, so you can see why I'm not having a good day

thanksx

Guest The Ropey HOFF
thanks Ropeyhoff, please correct me if I'm wrong, does that equate a $90k with £40k wage over here, and if I'm comparing goods prices then if I say a family car over here costs 8k would compare to approx 17k over there .............have to go tell the parents now, so you can see why I'm not having a good day

thanksx

I think so, near enough, the wifes wage here in the uk is about £37,000 and over there it would be $85,000. Its easiest that way using the 2.2 rate to look at costs between each country to compare everything before you emigrate.

Location of rental: Helensvale Goldcoast

Bedrooms: 4 - 2 Bath

Garden: Very good size

Pool: Not yet - Installing our own above ground this year

General state of the house: Good

We pay $470 a week and secured it from the UK before we got here

We see kangaroo's most days out our front window :biggrin:

Not converting to £'s cos what's the point

Love the place

Howard

We are now in Rockingham

Hi Sam,

How are you going down in Rockingham? We had been looking at the northern suburbs (Quinns Rocks, Ocean Reef, Mindarie) as they are so much cheaper than living in the centre of Perth, but then you have the extra commute into work (CBD).

Then I found some properties in Rockingham - very similar price wise, and in terms of the commute to the CBD, to the northern suburbs it seems. Is that a fair comparison, would you say? Anything for or against Rockingham?

Thanks