Motorbike licence

Har00n

Hi All,

If you ain't heard yet, i'm hoping to get out to perth by July.

(Co has asked for a few more documents, cos wife has a non-uk passport).

Anyway, ive been mulling over taking my car to oz, but i think i'm going to leave it here for my dada, which leaves the question of how to get about in perth.

I have a CBT for riding bikes, and was due to sit the dirct course to get my bike licence here, but as this trip to perth has come about i've left it on a back-burner. My question is, what do i need to do to ride a bike in perth? Do i need to get a special licence? do i need to sit an equivalent CBT and bike course in OZ? what exactly are the requirements?

I'm reckoning it will be cheaper for me to get abike there than a car ( as everyone states, cars are really expensive over there) and as the good weather is coming up afetr july, reckon it would be ideal for riding a bike.

Any advice greatly appreciated...

Also, where should i look for cheap reliable bikes when in perth? i know there is carsales.com.au for cars, is there an equivalent for bikes???

We lived in Australia previously and my OH never got round to doing his bike licence there as it was pretty intense and a lot more involved than the UK test. I would advise you to do you direct access course in the UK (after all it takes less than a week!), then you can easily get your licence exchanged in Australia and you will be allowed to ride any bike.

Cheers fourcorners.

Problem is, i simply ain't got the time now.

I'm up to my eyeballs at work, trying to make sure i clear everything before my departure in July.

(The work don't know i'm going yet, and had me pencilled in on projects up to january next year! trtying to make sure i get most of it sorted now, to make for a smooth and timely exit!)

When you say it's a lot more involved, exactly how so?

Also, as i have a CBT, will i not be able to ride a 125, like i can here with L plates?

(Of course, id rather have a ducati monster, but i can wait for that once i'm settled.... ;) )

If you're heading to WA, take a look at this page:

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/20398.asp

As you can see, there are more classes of licence and I think the UK 125 would only allow you to get a moped in Oz (though could be wrong, but I don't expect them to exchange a 125 CC licence straight to a 250CC one). If you have a read through of each of the graduated steps you will see that there's a lot more involved than the direct access course over here. My other half did his direct access course here and is now working in Aus, his licence now has the full R motorcycle class on it. When we move over he intends to take his Suzuki GSXR750 with him and can't wait.

At the end of the day, you can't account for projects you're work has you pencilled in for. What you could do, is hand your notice in at work now, a couple of months in advance. I have done this before and you're employer does appreciate it, as it gives them time to find someone to replace you and for you to train that person up. Doing that will immediately take the pressure off yourself and allow you to concentrate on your future and what you want to do. I can't wait to hand my notice in here even if I do it early. Yes you may have a few months of awkwardness at work but most people are understanding (and secretly jealous!). If you can live with that for a month more, it will allow you to get non-work stuff done, liking doing your direct access. July isn't far away!

Luckily we are in an industry (mining) where relocation packages are quite generous, so the bike will be going as part of that. Not sure who will pay the taxes for it on arrival but we'll sort that out in due course. We have moved countries before but not a vehicle before so I still need to do a bit of research. He once thought about riding to Australia but his bike is certainly not suitable for that, but it would be one hell of an adventure!

In a month or so we will be getting quotes for shipping so I'll be sure to post on PIO somewhere about costs. We're also debating whether or not to bring a car too but my car's getting pretty high mileage and the other one doesn't have AC so won't be bringing that!