and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest coltrane

Onshore Partner - granted after 11 months without any contact from DIAC

Guest coltrane

Hi All,

I`ve got letter from DIAC today with visa (820 TR) grant, which is cool. After 11 months without any communication, I didn`t even know that I`ve got CO.

My questions are:

1) Do I have to renew my medicals + Police checks from now till grant of 801 visa?

2) If studying UNI, can I study part time now or full time (because I am not PR but not student either)

Any ideas by chance?

Thanks for Your support :mask:

Can't answer your questions but wanted to say Congratulations on the visa.

K x

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Guest GeorgeD

You don't need to do anything now for just under two years. At this point DIAC will contact you (although no harm you contacting them with up to date address info, etc). They will then reassess you for the 801 Permanent Visa. You don't need to submit another application fee, but they will ask for more info, certainly including a new Police Check. They may ask for another medical, but if you haven't left Australia in this time there is a good chance they won't although you will need to declare that you are not suffering from any serious illnesses. Don't get a new Police chceck done now, it's no use to you, you need to wait until DIAC are reviewing your application in two years time

Yes you can apply for full time tertiary education, but you are not entitled to any government funding or loans and you will have to pay International Student Fees for any courses.

From http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/partners/partner/820-801/

Visa typeWhat you can do in AustraliaPartner temporary visa (subclass 820)

• remain in Australia with your partner, until a decision is made regarding your permanent visa
  • work in Australia
  • study in Australia, but you will not have access to government funding for tertiary study and will be charged international upfront full fees
  • enrol in Australia's medical benefits expenses and hospital care scheme, Medicare
    See: Medicare

Guest Ph0en1x

Coltrane, congratulations...I can only answer your first question regarding Medical and Police checks and the answer to both is yes

Guest coltrane

I called DIAC and they said that it is likely that I`ll need to renew my police check before grant of 801 but that i`ll be advised whether or not to renew medicals.

They said, that I can study part-time but costs are same (i knew that).

So basically, I am about to keep all docs, photos, statements, so that when they ask for anything in mid 2012 (i hope), i`ll just have it handy.

This forum is great, I`ve got useful advice here :wubclub:

You don't need to do anything now for just under two years. At this point DIAC will contact you (although no harm you contacting them with up to date address info, etc). They will then reassess you for the 801 Permanent Visa. You don't need to submit another application fee, but they will ask for more info, certainly including a new Police Check. They may ask for another medical, but if you haven't left Australia in this time there is a good chance they won't although you will need to declare that you are not suffering from any serious illnesses. Don't get a new Police chceck done now, it's no use to you, you need to wait until DIAC are reviewing your application in two years time

Yes you can apply for full time tertiary education, but you are not entitled to any government funding or loans and you will have to pay International Student Fees for any courses.

From http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/partners/partner/820-801/

Visa typeWhat you can do in AustraliaPartner temporary visa (subclass 820)

• remain in Australia with your partner, until a decision is made regarding your permanent visa
  • work in Australia
  • study in Australia, but you will not have access to government funding for tertiary study and will be charged international upfront full fees
  • enrol in Australia's medical benefits expenses and hospital care scheme, Medicare
    See: Medicare

Hi Coltrane,

Firstly CONGRATULATIONS!!! Can I please ask where you lodged your application?

My partner and I lodged his fully loaded application in Southport QLD back in January 2011 and still have not heard anything from DIAS....just hoping for a little light at the end of the tunnel.

Applied 7 March 2014 for Citizenship, Australian Citizenship granted 26 June 2014.

Timeline for 801 Partner Visa Permanent: Submitted additional paperwork 24 DEC 2012 - Eligible for assessment 24 JAN 2013 - Visa Granted 4 MAR 2013

Timeline for 820 Partner Visa: Applied frontloaded 21 JAN 2011 - CO allocated 01 NOV 2011 - Visa Granted 15 NOV 2011

Guest coltrane

Hi, thanks :o

Back in January 2011 - that`s only 5 months ! I mean, given the fact that

mine was granted after 11 months, yours isn`t only half way through..

However, as you can read on this forum, you can get it anytime between

1 week and 12 months. I wish you to get yours pretty soon.

I lodged in Sydney DIAC.

Hi Coltrane,

Firstly CONGRATULATIONS!!! Can I please ask where you lodged your application?

My partner and I lodged his fully loaded application in Southport QLD back in January 2011 and still have not heard anything from DIAS....just hoping for a little light at the end of the tunnel.