Subclass 309 Migration Agent Help Please!!

Guest shanoebs

Guest shanoebs

just wondering about migration agents..

Im really stressed about all this application now, so is my partner and i think we need help.

We dont want to spend £1200 to get the whole thing done because we think we have just about everything ready but we need peace of mind from a professional.

So i came across a company that does "Pre-File Checking", Thames Migration

Aparently they can either do the whole thing for you for around £1200 or they can just check over the paperwork and certify everything... it only costs £250

I dont mind paying that, but is it worth it....

What will they check? will they tell me if i need anything else? or do they just look at what you have and make sure its all correct?

Also, the same goes with our CO and the DIAC, Do they tell you what you are missing or do they just refuse you?

we are really really stressed now as we want to be home by xmas and i am on a working holiday visa which expires in august and i have to jump the country to come back as a tourist, which isnt really ideal but we dont want to be apart through the process...

Do we really need help or should we just send what we have?

thank you all

Guest siamsusie

Shano, I dont think I have welcomed you to PIO.

Are you satisfied with your evidence over a 12 month+ period?

Personally as many other others have done, I went the DIY route successfuly.

I also asked questions on PIO where I found people to be extremely helpful.

There is a checklist Shano and guidelines on the application forms.

If you feel you have a complicated situation ie. criminal convictions/medical problems/children from ex partners etc then I would always advise the registered Migration Agent route.

Some members feel they need a MA which is fair enough and some dont.. the choice is yours.

Case officers actually are very understanding and helpful imo.

Whichever route you choose to take, very best wishes

Susie x

Guest GeorgeD

I agree with Susie, the instructions are quite straighforward for the Partner Visa, if you can follow the guidelines and forms then you can do it yourself. You need to find all the info yourself even if you use an agent...they won't look out bank statements stuffed in drawers at your home. If your situation is complicated, then it may be worthwhile consulting one for peace of mind.

Remember if you are in Oz on a WHV and are intending to apply onshore, you are actually applying for the 820/801. The 309 is for Offshore applications. If you apply whilst in Oz when your WHV is still valid then you will be entitled to a bridging visa with the same rights as your WHV which will allow you to stay in the country while your application is considered. There's no need for you to have to leave and come back as a tourist if you apply while still onshore under a valid WHV.

If you have insufficient info for your CO to make a decision, they will ask you for further evidence. This is quite common. You have a time limit within which to provide it (49 days from memory, so a generous amount of time.) I was asked for further evidence that our relationship was genuine and ongoing - and we were married and sent all docs confirming that - so I added copies of a joint lease we signed after my application had been submitted, etc. The process was 4 months, exactly the amount of time as published when I applied, so it didn't take any longer because they asked for further info.

Guest shanoebs

i dont think our app is complicated..... we have been together for 3 years in july. lived together for 2.5 years. but, we have never had a lease together.... we have seperate mail from the first place we lived at at and proof of travel together when we left australia, then proof of living at her mums house for the past 19 months while ive been here in the uk on my YMS. We have had a joint bank account since july last year, but we dont put our wages into it, it just has our savings money in it...joint car insurance for over a year, joint travel insurance. also have wedding invites etc.....we will also have a few grand to take with us aswell...

I dont have a house or job back home, but i am employable, so is my partner as we are both scuba instructors. we have always had work. my partner may even be able to work for the company she was working for before as she has been in contact with them. My father has written a stat dec saying we can stay free of charge at his place while we get back on our feet aswell.

The Only thing is, its a 2 bedroom unit, will the frown at this? will he have to prove what sort of place he lives in?

doesnt sound to complicated does it?

haha

Guest shanoebs
I agree with Susie, the instructions are quite straighforward for the Partner Visa, if you can follow the guidelines and forms then you can do it yourself. You need to find all the info yourself even if you use an agent...they won't look out bank statements stuffed in drawers at your home. If your situation is complicated, then it may be worthwhile consulting one for peace of mind.

Remember if you are in Oz on a WHV and are intending to apply onshore, you are actually applying for the 820/801. The 309 is for Offshore applications. If you apply whilst in Oz when your WHV is still valid then you will be entitled to a bridging visa with the same rights as your WHV which will allow you to stay in the country while your application is considered. There's no need for you to have to leave and come back as a tourist if you apply while still onshore under a valid WHV.

If you have insufficient info for your CO to make a decision, they will ask you for further evidence. This is quite common. You have a time limit within which to provide it (49 days from memory, so a generous amount of time.) I was asked for further evidence that our relationship was genuine and ongoing - and we were married and sent all docs confirming that - so I added copies of a joint lease we signed after my application had been submitted, etc. The process was 4 months, exactly the amount of time as published when I applied, so it didn't take any longer because they asked for further info.

We are in the UK mate... I am the australian, my partner is the applicant and she is british

Guest siamsusie

No Shano, a bridging visa is for on shore only, i.e. awaiting a decision on your application or transferring one visa over to another.

Guest GeorgeD
We are in the UK mate... I am the australian, my partner is the applicant and she is british

Right, I've got it now. Thanks for clarifying!

As long as you have bills, other docs, being sent to the same address and declarations saying you are a couple for more than 12 months, then you should be fine. A joint account statement is great, but two separate mobile phone bills in your own names sent to the same address are just as good, this also proves you have been living together at the same address and other evidence like joint travel and statements confirms the nature of the relationship.

Don't worry about the sort of house your father has, DIAC aren't interested in that, so don't bother telling them, just say you will be staying with him, that's sufficient (and a perfectly normal thing to do in your situation)

There's nothing stopping your partner from applying offhsore just now and then she can travel to Oz on a tourist visa while the application is being processed. You'll be able to work but she won't (unless she's eligible for a WHV and applies for that now). I suppose it depends what makes financial sense, her working here and yiou being tourist, or you finding work in Oz and her being a tourist for a few months. The offshore application is usually faster than the Onshore one, so if you do go down that route, apply before you leave the UK.

Guest shanoebs

Thank You George And Susie! Your have been very helpful!, if we were at a pub i'd buy ya a beer :wink: haha

Don't bother with a migration agent. The process is fairly straight forward really if you read the booklet and don't be afraid to ask lots of questions on PIO. My advice is to gather as much evidence as you can lay your hands on, be honest, don't ever lie or tell a fib, explain anything that you think may be a problem (it counts towards the honesty) and try and relax.

As long as you are generally in good health, have no criminal past and have the evidence to prove your relationship you should be OK.

Good luck

Guest shanoebs
AS a rule they will, but they are not obliged to.

what are the chances of that happening? its comments like that, that make it stressful for people!

what are the chances of that happening? its comments like that, that make it stressful for people!

You are right, of course.

May I suggest you write to the minister and ask him to change Section 56, because it is stressing people?

MIGRATION ACT 1958 - SECT 56

Further information may be sought (1) In considering an application for a visa, the Minister may, if he or she wants to, get any information that he or she considers relevant but, if the Minister gets such information, the Minister must have regard to that information in making the decision whether to grant or refuse the visa.

(2) Without limiting subsection (1), the Minister may invite, orally or in writing, the applicant for a visa to give additional information in a specified way.

Guest shanoebs
You are right, of course.

May I suggest you write to the minister and ask him to change Section 56, because it is stressing people?

MIGRATION ACT 1958 - SECT 56

Further information may be sought (1) In considering an application for a visa, the Minister may, if he or she wants to, get any information that he or she considers relevant but, if the Minister gets such information, the Minister must have regard to that information in making the decision whether to grant or refuse the visa.

(2) Without limiting subsection (1), the Minister may invite, orally or in writing, the applicant for a visa to give additional information in a specified way.

No need to be smart about it mate. just because your an agent and you dont get business because of your attitude, doesnt mean you have to be negative about everything someone says.

Archived