register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Jobo

Help with short term and long term rentals in Darwin

Hi All

We have just made the big move down under and are currenty staying with family in queensland. We intend to move to Darwin at the end of July to look for work (we got a PR visa SS from NT). Our personal belongings are due to arrive Mid to late August.

We plan to rent a property for the first 12 months. I know its expensive in Darwin so we are looking at Palmerston to make it a little cheaper if possible. Can anyone recommend a good agent to use?

We also think we'll need temporary accomodation when we first arrive and were thinking of a holiday rental but as its peak season its very expensive and there are few to choose from on quick searches on the net. Again, has anyone got any suggestions? We are happy to travel into the city while we are there so could live on the outskirts.

cheers

Jo

176 (family sponsored) lodged 14/05/09, NT SS applied 24/05/10 - granted 12/01/11...now Cat 2...CO allocated 08/02/11...visa grant 11/02/11..arrived in Qld 12/05/11...landed in Darwin 13/07/11 - our new home!!!

Guest siamsusie

Hi Jobo,

I know that Janine is living in Palmerston, so she will be full of good advice

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/members/28009.html, you can always drop her a PM.

She is an army wife but pretty clued up with whats going on over there.

Very best wishes on an exciting move.

Susie x

Jobo,

I know what you mean about finding short term accommodation.Dry season is the peak holiday time up here and most places are already booked.

www.valueinn.com.au.

www.alataiapartments.com.au

www.citygardensapts.com.au

I will go and get you a few campsites with cabins.

Palmerston does offer a bit more property for your money.

Elders Real Estate. Have an office in Palmo with all the lettings.Workwise depending on what you are looking for should not be a problem.Most jobs need an NT police check and a 1st Aid certificate with CPR.

Yes you are right it is expensive to live here and the lack of choice puts lots of people off.Put yourself in the right location,build up a good friendship network and you will have a ball.

I no longer skinny dip,I now chunky dunk:laugh:

Hi Janine, thanks for your help

I'm waiting for Elders to give me a call back about rentals and what we can do now to save time when we arrive in Darwin.

we've had a quick look on the net at the sites you suggested for holiday lets and many don't have accomodation for the dates we plan to arrive or are a bit more expensive than we wanted to spend. I've spent hours looking at the net with not much joy so we may re-think the dates we plan to arrive, or have to do some work with the finances!

thanks again for your help and i might drop you a line when we arrive for a few more tips.

best wishes

Jo

176 (family sponsored) lodged 14/05/09, NT SS applied 24/05/10 - granted 12/01/11...now Cat 2...CO allocated 08/02/11...visa grant 11/02/11..arrived in Qld 12/05/11...landed in Darwin 13/07/11 - our new home!!!

Guest jamesw

Hi We live in Darwin and I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for an agent to call you back, although we're living in Cullen Bay, we did rent in wet season but had no problem finding a property. I think there are still ones available, Darwin is a bit quiet this dry season.

Hi Janine, thanks for your help

I'm waiting for Elders to give me a call back about rentals and what we can do now to save time when we arrive in Darwin.

we've had a quick look on the net at the sites you suggested for holiday lets and many don't have accomodation for the dates we plan to arrive or are a bit more expensive than we wanted to spend. I've spent hours looking at the net with not much joy so we may re-think the dates we plan to arrive, or have to do some work with the finances!

thanks again for your help and i might drop you a line when we arrive for a few more tips.

best wishes

Jo