Police Checks - USA, UK and Australia

claramanda

I've been fortunate enough to have lived in the USA, Australia and the UK. Unfortunately, that means I now have to apply for police checks with all three countries to support my 176 application! :wacko:

I'm currently living in Scotland, so will be sending apps for the USA and Australia overseas. I would appreciate any general advice/experiences, but here are my specific questions:

1. USA - how do I go about getting my fingerprints taken? Can I drop into my local UK cop shop and get them to do it?

2. UK - The Character Guidance says to apply to the ACPO, but this only explicitly covers England, Wales and NI. Are they the correct authority for Scotland as well?

3. Australia - how do I pay? They don't have a credit card form, don't want cash and insist on payment in AUD (so no cheques)...

Thanks!!

Hi there,

I live in Scotland and applied to ACRO,I emailed them and this was the reply-

Dear Mr XXXXXXXXX

Thank you for your email

Yes, the Police Certificate application does cover people living in Scotland

I hope this helps

Yours Sincerely

Christopher Paul

Customer Service Advisor

ACPO Criminal Records Office (ACRO)

(: 0845 6013 999 Ext: 553

(: 0044 1962 871111

7: 0044 1962 871530

*: customer.services@acro.pnn.police.uk

.: ACRO, PO BOX 481, Fareham, PO14 9FS

Winner of the Sunday Times Best Place to Work in the Public Sector Award 2010

Hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I have to get an Australian police check too. I have downloaded the form.It asks for my australian drivers licence number but I have never had one. Can they still do a police check on me? As regards to paying I think I will get my sister in law to mail me one of her aussie cheques.

Pts

3. Australia - how do I pay? They don't have a credit card form, don't want cash and insist on payment in AUD (so no cheques)...

its a littla archaic isnt it. I think I had to get my bank to draw a cheque in AUD. I cant remember the cost at the time (2007) but it cant of been more than 10 pounds.

Maybe check with the post office if they do foreign currency postal orders, or something similar.