Trade jobs stress in UK, whats it like over there?

Nohea

Hi just wondering what the job situation is like for joiner/carpenter in Australia at the moment, and what states are good/bad for work etc. are joiners in demand at the moment like they are here?

Here in the UK my husband i think is ready for a breakdown!!, he's inundated with work, just took on two big contracts last week, thought he had people ready to start work next week , and now he doesn't, he's spent the last two days calling all his contacts for workers etc. and everyone is busy!, he's now got the next couple of hours to decide what to do and whether he can fulfill the contracts or not, last year he was stressed due to lack of work and now he's even more stressed at too much work!!

I'd love to be able to go over there and it not be so stressful, but maybe thats just wishful thinking!!

Guest StevenJS

Wow, wish I had his stress of to much work. I'm to a joiner based in Liverpool, things here went the best at the moment. I'm counting the days down to October when we leave for Perth. Hope things are better over there than here.

Guest Guest 47403

If you fancy WA as a joiner then I think your should be ok a mate arrived in perth 4th Apr wanted to take 4 weeks out with the family but applied for 4 jobs in the first week and got offered all 4, he took one offering $35 an hour for a 38 hr week optional Sat morning at double time don't know how that compares to the UK.

Guest StevenJS
If you fancy WA as a joiner then I think your should be ok a mate arrived in perth 4th Apr wanted to take 4 weeks out with the family but applied for 4 jobs in the first week and got offered all 4, he took one offering $35 an hour for a 38 hr week optional Sat morning at double time don't know how that compares to the UK.

Hope fully this will be the case when I go over with my family in October. Did he apply direct with the companies or through an agency? This is my biggest worry about the whole move to Perth. Everything else is straight forward I think.

Guest matthew from Essex

Hi All,

I'm a newbie here, just got my Skilled Visa(176) and hopefully will be going there early next year. I have been an Electrician for 22 years here in UK.I am in the process of retraining to get Oz qualified sparks. I am worried about finding job when I get there with my family. How is job there going for Electrician? How much should I expect to get paid? Any input would be much appreciate. Many thanks.

Guest matthew from Essex

Sorry forgot to mention, I will going to Adelaide. It would really help to get any feedback from anybody. Cheers!

Guest Guest 47403
Hope fully this will be the case when I go over with my family in October. Did he apply direct with the companies or through an agency? This is my biggest worry about the whole move to Perth. Everything else is straight forward I think.

He replied direct to ads in the paper none of the jobs were on seek.com.au. He had his own business in the UK making made to order kitchens and did very well until the last 2 years.

His new job is similar but he'll be doing bespoke kitchens and furniture reckons it's his dream job.

He reckons any UK carpenter will not have any problem finding work in Perth.