Some practical advice if you have not set off back yet!

Guest lindar

Guest chris955

For us the favorable exchange rate is a big bonus but not the reason for the move by any means.

For others it could be the catalyst, up till now it may not have been possible to make the move with a high rate.

I think it I'd just something you have to do regardless, it isn't stopping people coming the other way and it didn't stop people going to the UK when the rate was up over 2.50.

How much was the exchange rate a factor in deciding to go back ?

It obviously is a massive incentive for returnees to go back now. Currently at an all time low I think.

Wonder whether people would have still been able to return if it was £1 = $2.50

For me - no amount of money could have kept me there, sanity came first :)

Guest MSTO

Great post Lindar, we have been back 11 months now after 5 years in Adelaide. Definitely the right choice for me and my family.

Nice to hear your loving being home possie, I was wondering how you were getting on!

It's great to hear such positive reports post about successful returns home. Thanks for all the information. Returning home is a long way off for us (unfortunately) but with the help of PIO members our return will be alot smoother (eventually). I know that I am going to be fretting about my English Bull Terrier, on the journey so it's good to hear that they are well looked after. We didn't keep a Uk bank account open (I don't think) but can my husband open one on a trip back in September?

Anyway, I love reading all your posts. Keep them coming.

Guest chris955

Yes your husband can definitely open an account while in the UK, my wife did exactly that last year, HSBC were very helpful.

Guest lindar

Ooh not sure coz they will want a UK address so whether they will accept a c/o address for correspondence -?? but out of all the banks we spoke to- we found Barclays to be the most helpful in getting us set u again but obviously that is just our experience. I was so stressed about our dog travelling but now its done -there is nothing to worry about - just make sure you plan well enough in advance for the rabies vaccination and blood tests as they have the vaccination first then the blood tests 4 weeeks later and then they get sent to Scotland for testing but they backdate the certifcate to the date the tests were taken. You count 6 months from this date for when they can travel (and get off the plane here with no quarantine - wonderful!) Its the advance planning that is they key - you dont want to be caught out and having to leave them = more stress on top of the 'moving' pile!

Ooh not sure coz they will want a UK address so whether they will accept a c/o address for correspondence -?? but out of all the banks we spoke to- we found Barclays to be the most helpful in getting us set u again but obviously that is just our experience. I was so stressed about our dog travelling but now its done -there is nothing to worry about - just make sure you plan well enough in advance for the rabies vaccination and blood tests as they have the vaccination first then the blood tests 4 weeeks later and then they get sent to Scotland for testing but they backdate the certifcate to the date the tests were taken. You count 6 months from this date for when they can travel (and get off the plane here with no quarantine - wonderful!) Its the advance planning that is they key - you dont want to be caught out and having to leave them = more stress on top of the 'moving' pile!

Lindar thanks so much for this post and the other one on the emotional side of returning home to the UK. My husband and I have just made the decision to return home and although it’s a while off for us, it’s great to have all this practical information to consider, especially in relation to our four legged friend that we could never leave behind. My husband is English and I am Scottish and we are planning to head back to Scotland in two years. Australia has been great to both of us. We met each other here and have lived in Sydney and now Melbourne but we both feel like we have no roots here and having recently had a baby I am finding the pull to move back home very intense. It’s not only to do with having our son as I have felt that I wanted to move back home for the last 2 years but always put off making the decision. But now I want to spend quality time with my parents whilst they are still around and in good health. We both miss so many other things about the UK too and can’t wait to rediscover it on our return. It’s been great to read such positive posts about moving back. I suppose you just want to validate your decision, as people think you are mental for even considering going back J

Thanks

Kirsty

Guest chris955

I must admit I am really surprised just how many people are making the move back, I can fully understand why they are all doing it of course.

especially in relation to our four legged friend that we could never leave behind.

as people think you are mental for even considering going back

J

Thanks

Kirsty

Hi, our dog was picked up this morning - what a job I had trying to get her into her box/cage, she was a little minx (Jack Russell) - I am not fretting as she had the company of 5 strapping greyhounds for company on the ride to the airport........................In saying that, she probably will not speak to me for a good few months.....................

Isn't it strange that everyone thinks we are 'mental' for wanting/needing to go back.

I am heading back because I have a new grand-daughter (my first) and want/need to spend quality time with her.

Wishing you all the best for the future.

My husband has contacted HSBC now and we are going to make arrangements to go and see them. We might try the NAB too which is our bank anyway. Fingers crossed, we can sell the land we have in the Perth hills very soon so that we are in a position to buy something back home. My OH is looking on real estate sites all the time and working out budgets, bless him. Thanks for all the advice. x

Hi, our dog was picked up this morning - what a job I had trying to get her into her box/cage, she was a little minx (Jack Russell) - I am not fretting as she had the company of 5 strapping greyhounds for company on the ride to the airport........................In saying that, she probably will not speak to me for a good few months.....................

Isn't it strange that everyone thinks we are 'mental' for wanting/needing to go back.

I am heading back because I have a new grand-daughter (my first) and want/need to spend quality time with her.

Wishing you all the best for the future.

I am just starting the process of having our dog vaccinated. She is a little pug who is used to her home comforts so I will be worried about her trip home, although she will probably take it in her stride. Where are you moving back to? We will probably go back to Stirling where I am from, but I suppose it will depend on work opportunities really. I am going home in June for 7 weeks with my 6month old, so he can spend time with both sets of grand parents. Hope all goes smooth for your bow wow!

I am just starting the process of having our dog vaccinated. She is a little pug who is used to her home comforts so I will be worried about her trip home, although she will probably take it in her stride. Where are you moving back to? We will probably go back to Stirling where I am from, but I suppose it will depend on work opportunities really. I am going home in June for 7 weeks with my 6month old, so he can spend time with both sets of grand parents. Hope all goes smooth for your bow wow!

God only knows how my wee doggie is doing tonight - she is in kennels at Sydney airport tonight in preparation for her flight to the UK tomorrow...................she is a very spoilt 'indoor' dog..........................no bed with electric blanket tonight !!!

We are heading back to Perth - just up the road from you.

Enjoy your trip back to the UK - let both sets of grandparents spoil both you and baby while you are there.

Archived