Some practical advice if you have not set off back yet!

Guest lindar

Guest lindar

Hi anyone in process of moving back - we are in our 4th month back (after 13 plus years in Perth) and no regrets at all

I will do a separate post about the emotional stuff but here is some boring practical stuff that may be helpful and save you some hassle

1. Working in UK -If you plan to work within 6 months of landing - get a recent Australian Police Clearance before you leave (has to be within last 6 months).

I had to have a security check for my new employer but because I have not been back for 6 months they cannot do one so I had to apply for a recent Aussie one. Not easy from here as it has to go via Canberra and you have to pay in Aussie dollars and it takes over 3 weeks to get which delays employment etc. Just get one if you are gonna work in case you need to be vetted.

2. Car insurance - we struggled to get a company to acknowledge our no claims coz it was earned overseas. Get a letter from your car insurers confirming your no claims (RAC will do one for you ) as it may help - we found Saga insurance UK(oops...can I mention names ??) were good (if you are over 50 of course!!)and they recognised the no claims. Otherwise lot more expensive

3. Landline and internet - lots of different companies vying for business so some good deals but beware it can take 3 weeks to get connected. I had to keep going to brothers to access internet

Could buy a mobile dongle but can be expensive depending on what you are using it for

4. Mobile phones - again if you did not leave a UK bank account open and you open a new one (which we did) then you may struggle getting a contract coz no credit history. I have had to tag on to my Mums contract to get a monthly deal. Pay as you go is expensive so ask family and friends for advice

5. Buying house/providing ID - we had to produce certified copies of passports etc - worth getting some copies done and signed by a 'professional' so you have them ready

6. Pets - we bought our springer spaniel back and she is in her element! Just a tip - the Customs people at Heathrow will actually deliver your pet to your home. yes at a cost - we live in lancashire and it cost 175 pound. But consider that if you are on the same plane as your pet - it takes up to 5 hours to clear them through the animal customs so long time to wait when you are knackered after the flight. A few more hours wont hurt them! Our dog arrived at my Mums house (3 weeks after I landed and 1 week before hubby landed) in clean crate and none the worse except just tired - dont think she slept the whole journey but she was healthy and happy and paying for the delivery saved us the stress of driving down to Heathrow and having to stay over etc so the cost for us was worth it.

Another thing to watch - make sure you have the original rabies cert to give to the collector so they travel with your pet. The carrier we used failed to tell us this and I wont go into the panic we had or name and shame them as I hope it was a one-off mistake but it is probably THE most important bit of the process. (I had to send originals to London to be there when she landed but it was touch and go whether this would be OK - phew!)

Hope this helps - let me know if I can help with anything else - believe me things have changed if you have been away for a while but the best thing is that family and friends rally round and help

See separate post for 'how are we feeling 4 months on' ....but it's positive!

Hi Lindar we ave been back in the UK for just on 12 months (after 5 years in Brissy). I agree with all of what you said in your thread. we had a nightmare with our car insurance too.

I am a working mum, with a hubby and 2 kids aged 13 and 8.... the kids love being back home with all the fambo and friends they are having a ball, finding out they ave aunties/uncles and cousins they didnt even know about LOL... weather has been lovely in April we have bought a little tourer caravan for 900quid (same van about 4000 dollars in oz) and we ave done a bit of touring lately with all the school holidays and bank holidays in April. And we plan on going down south to cheddar gorge and newquay in August... (we are from merseyside) we didnt realise how beautiful our country is when we went chasing the sun 5 years ago.... But we should be grateful for what we were given by our parents....Anyway gr8 thread... I found PIO very useful when i was coming home, gr8 info for bringing my dogs back, exchange rates ect. Havent been on here in 12 months but thought i would check out all the members who were in the same boat/same time... and wish everyone health wealth and hapiness in wherever thier path of life takes em

Guest famousfive

A great post with very practical tips for those returning home.I myself return to Ireland this year and these tips are just as relevant.Good to hear you have made the right move,long may it continue.All the best.

Hi,

Thanks for the advice, very helpful.

We are at the final stages of making the BIG decision whether to stay or go. I am having sleepless nights worrying about if the kids will settle OK in the UK.

It is posts like yours that really help clear my mind and make me think that I worry too much. Really looking forward to hearing more from you.

We are planning moving to the UK later this year to the Worcestershire area.

Hi,

Thanks for the advice, very helpful.

We are at the final stages of making the BIG decision whether to stay or go. I am having sleepless nights worrying about if the kids will settle OK in the UK.

It is posts like yours that really help clear my mind and make me think that I worry too much. Really looking forward to hearing more from you.

We are planning moving to the UK later this year to the Worcestershire area.

Hi there,

We are in perth returning to Warwickshire area. Where are you in OZ?

sunni :cute:

Hi anyone in process of moving back - we are in our 4th month back (after 13 plus years in Perth) and no regrets at all

I will do a separate post about the emotional stuff but here is some boring practical stuff that may be helpful and save you some hassle

1. Working in UK -If you plan to work within 6 months of landing - get a recent Australian Police Clearance before you leave (has to be within last 6 months).

I had to have a security check for my new employer but because I have not been back for 6 months they cannot do one so I had to apply for a recent Aussie one. Not easy from here as it has to go via Canberra and you have to pay in Aussie dollars and it takes over 3 weeks to get which delays employment etc. Just get one if you are gonna work in case you need to be vetted.

2. Car insurance - we struggled to get a company to acknowledge our no claims coz it was earned overseas. Get a letter from your car insurers confirming your no claims (RAC will do one for you ) as it may help - we found Saga insurance UK(oops...can I mention names ??) were good (if you are over 50 of course!!)and they recognised the no claims. Otherwise lot more expensive

3. Landline and internet - lots of different companies vying for business so some good deals but beware it can take 3 weeks to get connected. I had to keep going to brothers to access internet

Could buy a mobile dongle but can be expensive depending on what you are using it for

4. Mobile phones - again if you did not leave a UK bank account open and you open a new one (which we did) then you may struggle getting a contract coz no credit history. I have had to tag on to my Mums contract to get a monthly deal. Pay as you go is expensive so ask family and friends for advice

5. Buying house/providing ID - we had to produce certified copies of passports etc - worth getting some copies done and signed by a 'professional' so you have them ready

6. Pets - we bought our springer spaniel back and she is in her element! Just a tip - the Customs people at Heathrow will actually deliver your pet to your home. yes at a cost - we live in lancashire and it cost 175 pound. But consider that if you are on the same plane as your pet - it takes up to 5 hours to clear them through the animal customs so long time to wait when you are knackered after the flight. A few more hours wont hurt them! Our dog arrived at my Mums house (3 weeks after I landed and 1 week before hubby landed) in clean crate and none the worse except just tired - dont think she slept the whole journey but she was healthy and happy and paying for the delivery saved us the stress of driving down to Heathrow and having to stay over etc so the cost for us was worth it.

Another thing to watch - make sure you have the original rabies cert to give to the collector so they travel with your pet. The carrier we used failed to tell us this and I wont go into the panic we had or name and shame them as I hope it was a one-off mistake but it is probably THE most important bit of the process. (I had to send originals to London to be there when she landed but it was touch and go whether this would be OK - phew!)

Hope this helps - let me know if I can help with anything else - believe me things have changed if you have been away for a while but the best thing is that family and friends rally round and help

Hi there.

We are 2 weeks away from leaving Australia and looking forward to it....................I cannot see the floor of my house at the moment as there are packing boxes everywhere.

Good useful information.........need to look out my Oz police check and see if it is still in date !!!!

We have kept our bank accounts open in the UK and still have a rented flat with rent, council tax and tv licence still in our name so do not forsee any major hiccups !!!

The dog is picked up next Monday - flying BA (nothing but the best for my dog).

In all, the end of one journey and the start of another..........

Wishing you all the best

Hi there,

We are in perth returning to Warwickshire area. Where are you in OZ?

sunni :cute:

We are in Sydney.

I grew up in Warwickshire, just outside Stratford Upon Avon. My family still live there, our reason for moving to Worcestershire is it seems easier for me to get work, maybe with a commute to Birmingham.

What part of Warwickshire are you from?

We are in Sydney.

I grew up in Warwickshire, just outside Stratford Upon Avon. My family still live there, our reason for moving to Worcestershire is it seems easier for me to get work, maybe with a commute to Birmingham.

What part of Warwickshire are you from?

We are heading to Bidford on Avon; cotswolds on our door step. :wubclub:

Hi

Thanks for the advice, great to know your loving it back there. We are so looking forward to making the move back, at this stage no date yet, but so looking forward to it. Its reassuring to know that the kids have settle ok. My oldest is 12 and youngest 8, so hopefully they will settle back ok too.

Thanks Lindar, great post. We are in Perth, got a 4 yr old & 1 yr old & are returning to Uk after 10 yrs, 6 of those in Perth. Very exciting but a bit scary at times too. Though after reading Possie in Brissy's positive post about being back there, reminds me of exactly why we are going back. Thanks Possie!

Guest davethebear

Thanks for the info, very helpful.........

Only 11 more weeks to go until I go back to the land of the living..............Yippeeeeeee

Guest davethebear
Lol wish it was us! Where are you now Dave?

Hi,

Still in Sydney at the moment, going at the end of July................My smile is getting bigger by the day.....................back to the land of UMPH.............

Hope all is ok with ya...

Big hugs

Dave

Thanks Lindar, this is really helpful.

Did you have any problems securing a rental after not being in the UK for several years and having no credit rating? I am assuming you would have to pay rent upfront, is that right?

Guest lindar

Hi Steve n Sheila

Well...we have been lucky as we are renting off a friend so did not have to go through all the checks etc . It is actually worth asking round friends and family because another friend offered us a house they had up for sale because it had been up for a while so we could have moved in on month to month basis til either we bought or they sold. At least they would have some income for a while - depends on how fast you want to buy - most rentals want 6 months contracts. We have found word of mouth with family and friends have helped us out on a lot of issues - maybe they could enquire with estate agents on your behalf before you land -

PS I travelled to Adelaide many times with work - fond memories of those times but great to be back here

Good luck

How much was the exchange rate a factor in deciding to go back ?

It obviously is a massive incentive for returnees to go back now. Currently at an all time low I think.

Wonder whether people would have still been able to return if it was £1 = $2.50

Guest lindar

Well it certainly helped a lot but it coincided with us finally being in a financial position to make the move anyway. Definately not the main reason but a big contributing factor to the timing!

How much was the exchange rate a factor in deciding to go back ?

It obviously is a massive incentive for returnees to go back now. Currently at an all time low I think.

Wonder whether people would have still been able to return if it was £1 = $2.50

Hasn't it worked out well for us returnees.........................

Although I can honestly say that the exchange rate was the last thing on my mind when I decided it was time to depart these shores.