American Police Checks

jessm128

Hi,

I am currently in the process of applying for the defacto visa with my partner. I lived in america for 3 years and I need to obtain an american police check. Has anyone else has to do this, if so PLEASE help me! What exactly do i need to do? Do the Finger Prints need to be taken by my local police? And how long approx does this take to do?

Any answers or help will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Guest machang
Hi,

I am currently in the process of applying for the defacto visa with my partner. I lived in america for 3 years and I need to obtain an american police check. Has anyone else has to do this, if so PLEASE help me! What exactly do i need to do? Do the Finger Prints need to be taken by my local police? And how long approx does this take to do?

Thanks!

You may need to contact FBI gentlemen . May be US embassy will help you. I think they take approximately 3 months for the PCC

Guest Rami
Hi,

Thanks!

Hi,

You can take your own fingerprints by following the instructions ( refer to the link below). To save time, I would suggest you lodge 2 applications in case one your first applications is rejected. For example, after lodgment of the first application, wait a month and then lodge another application. I recommend this because the rejection rate on grounds of poor fingerprints is very high. It takes at least 3 months.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/background-checks/background_checks

• 4 weeks later...
Hi,

Thanks!

Have you managed to sort this out yet? I'm getting my fingerprints taken by the police in Edinburgh on Thursday (£25) and sending off my application for a Criminal Background Check to the FBI on Friday. Does it really take 3 months for them to return it? On the FBI website it says up to six weeks...

Hi claramanda,

I got my finger prints taken at my local police station but i had to pay £70 for mine!!! You were lucky yours were so cheap! I sent mine off last week, but I do not know how long it will take, it can take anytime from 3-9 months I got told. But my friend who is American applied for her background check from Australia and hers took 6 weeks.

Hope this helps!!

Hi,

My OH lived in the states for 5 years he had to go to our Police CID and pay £60.00 to get them to finger print him on the forms that they had there. They had the forms from the FBI. We did down load one from the FBI website but used the one that was more like a card.

He then had to fed ex the FBI a PRE- PAID FED EX Self Address envelope inside the FED EX envelope to them which cost £80 for both.

It took just 5 weeks for us to receive it back although looking at the date it was done it must of been sitting on someones desk for at least three weeks.

I had a tracking number outgoing and incoming so I could track when they received it in Virginia and when it was en-route back to us. I did check it everyday for 5 weeks.

Also spoke to the FBI twice and they said they would only accept it sent via fed ex and would only return it to us in a prepaid fed ex envelope.

So that's that's what we did.

Hope that helps

Mandy