Gaining a motorbike licence in Oz...

Guest PJM80

Guest PJM80

I've been looking at this online and it does not appear that there is a similar system to the UK in terms of the direct access course over 5 days or so that allows you to ride any bike straight away. It seems for NSW for example that there are qualifying periods with different sizes of bike etc.

Has anyone done their licence on arrival or know anyone that has? I want to do it and will do it in the UK before I leave if easier, but am a little pushed for time as leave for Sydney in late June. Any insight into how long it has taken in your experience and what was involved etc would be appreciated!:biggrin:

Cheers,

Paul

I cant give you too much info, but a friend of mine here in Vic just passed his after a half day instruction and its almost impossible to fail is the impresstion I get. He is a dirt bike rider, and does have good handling skills, but its nothing like road riding.

Hart rider training have an excellent reputation, you might want to look on their site and see if you can find anything

http://www.hondampe.com.au/repository/motorcycles/training_licensing/about.aspx

Even if you do pass your test reasonably quickly, I would still recommend taking extra training/advanced lessons afterwards. It is definitely worthwhile in the long term.

Good luck.

Guest PJM80

Absolutely mate. Keen to do as much training as I can as would like to be safe etc. I just don't want to be restricted to a tiny bike for ages given I'm not sure how long I'll be in Oz anyway and part of the drive to get a bike is to do a bit of touring.

Appreciate the advice though. I will look into that website and maybe just ask them directly what the best approach is.

Thanks!:cool:

Guest LadyG76

Let us know what you manage to find out - I was pondering exactly the same thing yesterday; whether to do my Direct Access here or wait to do it in Oz.

Each state is slightly different in QLD you can just elect to go and do a test if you want, otherwise you can sign up to a continuous assessment thing where you go around with the instructor and when he thinks you're ready you get issued with a licence. I did the latter - I had the basics after having ridden around paddocks but no formal training, it took about 8 lessons though a friend did it in one day.

Don't worry about the tiny bike thing; there's a power to weight restriction but you can go up to 660cc, look up "LAMS motorbikes" and it will tell you what you can ride, and it's only for a year then you can get reassessed on a bigger bike.

• 2 weeks later...
I've been looking at this online and it does not appear that there is a similar system to the UK in terms of the direct access course over 5 days or so that allows you to ride any bike straight away. It seems for NSW for example that there are qualifying periods with different sizes of bike etc.

Has anyone done their licence on arrival or know anyone that has? I want to do it and will do it in the UK before I leave if easier, but am a little pushed for time as leave for Sydney in late June. Any insight into how long it has taken in your experience and what was involved etc would be appreciated!:biggrin:

Cheers,

Paul

My wife just did the whole license thing in Sydney Paul.

A 2 day course for a learner's plate, followed a few months later by a 6 hour test for "P" plate. Then after 12 months she automatically gets her full license.

• 1 month later...
Guest sunshineonme

I am not sure for NSW but in Vic you can ride a 250cc bike on L's whereas the UK was a 125cc. We have found the riding styles here in Vic much more reckless and erratic, scary to think they passed their test in some instances.

I rode in the UK and have a bike here, and to be honest, I am a bit nervous to ride it :( I have seen many reckless and erratic car drivers too, usually they have been P platers and appear to think they are invinceable - I hope to regain confidence and get on my bike again, I have prefered the dirt riding since being here at least we are all going around the track in the same direction! :)

I am not sure for NSW but in Vic you can ride a 250cc bike on L's whereas the UK was a 125cc. We have found the riding styles here in Vic much more reckless and erratic, scary to think they passed their test in some instances.

I rode in the UK and have a bike here, and to be honest, I am a bit nervous to ride it :( I have seen many reckless and erratic car drivers too, usually they have been P platers and appear to think they are invinceable - I hope to regain confidence and get on my bike again, I have prefered the dirt riding since being here at least we are all going around the track in the same direction! :)

It doesnt matter in which country you are, Its all about building your confidence on the roads, and realizing the fact that all other road users are out there to kill you, and your challenge is to anticipate their next move. :wink:

Yes, the drivers here are erratic & very often reckless, but if you can see it before it happens (its not that difficult IMO) then you will be fine. Its all about anticipation.

C'mon.

Get out there on your bike and stop sooking about it !! Australia has some of the most amazing roads in the world to ride on :cool: Ride safe.

:)

Ducati have just brought out a modified version of the Monster (650cc) which is suitable for LAMS.

http://www.cycleonline.com.au/2011/04/29/ducati-to-introduce-lams-approved-monster-659/

Guest sunshineonme

Hi Furkew,

I appreciate the encouragement. :biggrin: My other half has been itching for me to get another bike after selling mine before leaving the UK. Now I have it, I just need to get riding eh!

I still can't help but feel nervous. In the UK I had 35 years to learn the roads, bends, pot holes, the dodgy spots and needless to say the speed cameras :biggrin: so I only had to focus on riding and watch for other drivers. Here I am learning so much at once and I guess, the nervousness is even more enhanced knowing should anything happen to me on those roads I only have my husband to look after our son.

Just paranoid motherhood but I am sure, by the summer I will be on my 2-wheels and enjoying the open road once again!

Hi Furkew,

I appreciate the encouragement. :biggrin: My other half has been itching for me to get another bike after selling mine before leaving the UK. Now I have it, I just need to get riding eh!

I still can't help but feel nervous. In the UK I had 35 years to learn the roads, bends, pot holes, the dodgy spots and needless to say the speed cameras :biggrin: so I only had to focus on riding and watch for other drivers. Here I am learning so much at once and I guess, the nervousness is even more enhanced knowing should anything happen to me on those roads I only have my husband to look after our son.

Just paranoid motherhood but I am sure, by the summer I will be on my 2-wheels and enjoying the open road once again!

Ok. how about a challenge. :wink:

I see that you live East Melbourne.

I live in the east in the Dandenongs. I have a friends that are riders, but his wife doesnt get out enough (she's a confident rider, but just doesnt make the effort)

Do you & hubby fancy going out for a ride and seeing some fantastic scenery, and riding on some of victorias best roads on a bike :biggrin: (with very little traffic)

PM me, and pick a date in about 4 weeks time (got quite a few commitments in the next few weeks) and weather permitting go for a day out on the bikes.

Paul.