Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Sign in to follow this  
Guest only1wilf

Couple wanting to migrate to the land down under! (answers and direction needed plz)

Recommended Posts

Guest only1wilf

Hi looking for a little advice in regards to migrating to Australia

I'm English, 30 years old and unskilled... having spent 2 years in Australia on a working Holiday Visa I fell in love with this country and knew that this was the place for me, actually for us, i met my Fiance in Australia a girl from Hong Kong who i travelled with and spent everyday with

anyway to the point... I know Australia requires skilled migrants to be able to move there. so i took it upon myself to do a bricklaying course. I am now approaching the end of my course Diploma lvl 2 in brickwork (Is this an accepted qualification in oz or do they require NVQ or?) i plan to study the 3rd year here in England and then get a few years bricklaying experience under my belt in England before i think about migrating.

Perth/Western Australia would be top of our choice of places to go as my Fiance has her sister there and she said she would be a sponsor for us if needed


Me: England, 30 years old, Studying Bricklaying (Diploma lvl 2) (otherwise unskilled)

Fiance: Hong Kong, 30 years old, Higher Diploma in Design (5 years experience in designing Lingerie)


Am i doing the right thing? Are we going in the right direction?

Should we get married before migrating or after?

Bricklaying the right choice? are there many opportunities for this?

Would i still need to find a sponsor?

Would i need still need to do an assesment before i would get considered?

Would it be able to study my 3rd year of bricklaying in Australia? how would i go about this? How much does it cost? would it guarantee me a residency? who to contact? TAFE?

Do i need a Diploma or NVQ? (What is recognised in Oz?)

Would my girl be able to migrate with her skills alone and am i wasting my time doing my bricklaying course?

We are not married yet but we will get married in the future and would like to migrate as a couple.. would this affect me? she is a designer but this is not a job that is needed on the SML (skilled migration List)



Can you offer me anymore advice? anyway any advice would be helpful

Thanks for reading and thanks for your time



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest spongebob

hi I am by no means an expert on bricklaying but I am sure other people with expertise will be able to help.

From my knowledge I think they have just changed the criteria for student visa's to OZ and that you now have to be under 30. I think it would be easier to be married before applying for a visa otherwise you have to apply for a partner visa which i believe is a little bit complicated.

According to the department of immigration bricklayer is an occupation in demand under the code: 331111 so you could apply for a 121 (permanent employer sponsored visa) if you got an employer to sponsor you. You're best bet is to go onto the Immigration web and have a look at what the requirements are and if you could get employer sponsored, if not you may be able to get one of the state's to sponsor you under their state migration plans.

Good luck and hope you get sorted soon. Be aware that they are changing the point system into OZ from July so be careful.

Spongebob :cute:

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this