Remaining Relative, Visa application

Guest Janine Button

Guest Janine Button

Hi All

I wonder if there is anyone out there who can give a little advice? In a nutshell I applied for a remaining relative visa June last year - was told it would take 3/4 months - was then told one year, so I decided to take the plunge, move and do my year's study in Perth but they have now made the process of my application indefinite. I have been to immigration to no avail and have contacted (via phone) two migration agents who both say that I have no other options but to wait from my application to be processed as I am not eligible for any other visa due to my age (56). Trouble is, my international student visa expires next March and I really need to get a full time job when I qualify at the end of the year!

Has anyone had any good experiences with this class of visa - vis a vis, can you recommend a good migration agent who might be able to offer sound advice.

Am thinking maybe a visit to my brother's local Federal MP?

Any advice would be most gratefully received.

Regards Janine :unsure:

Guest Janine Button

Hi Alan

How kind of you to respond to my query re my visa application and thanks for the sound advice. I will contact Tony Coates as suggested. I assume that you know of him and that he has experience in the area of remaining relative visas, I only ask this because when at the migration office recently they told me to make sure that if I used an agent that he came with recommendations from people who had experienced his/her work.

You have given me hope!!

Regards Janine:smile:

Hi All

I wonder if there is anyone out there who can give a little advice? In a nutshell I applied for a remaining relative visa June last year - was told it would take 3/4 months - was then told one year, so I decided to take the plunge, move and do my year's study in Perth but they have now made the process of my application indefinite. I have been to immigration to no avail and have contacted (via phone) two migration agents who both say that I have no other options but to wait from my application to be processed as I am not eligible for any other visa due to my age (56). Trouble is, my international student visa expires next March and I really need to get a full time job when I qualify at the end of the year!

Has anyone had any good experiences with this class of visa - vis a vis, can you recommend a good migration agent who might be able to offer sound advice.

Am thinking maybe a visit to my brother's local Federal MP?

Any advice would be most gratefully received.

Regards Janine :unsure:

Hi Janine,

I applied for my remaining relative visa in Feb 2010. I too have not heard anything from the immigration department, I haven't even been appointed a case officer yet. I'm currently on an International student visa, however I have managed to find a full time job at an airline company here. Once your student visa expires, you will automatically be granted a bridging visa which should give you working rights until you get your remaining relative visa.

Guest Janine Button

Hi Lazybones

Thanks for your response. Did you apply for your visa in Australia or outside the country? I think my problem is that I applied in London and apparantly this does not give me the same rights. I am now going to look at reapplying within Australia.

I have at least got a case officer although that doesn't seem to give me any more access to information than anyone else.

Good luck. I will be getting in touch with the company recommended and I will check out your advice and see if it applies to me too.

Many thanks once again.

Regards Janine

Hi Lazybones

Thanks for your response. Did you apply for your visa in Australia or outside the country? I think my problem is that I applied in London and apparantly this does not give me the same rights. I am now going to look at reapplying within Australia.

I have at least got a case officer although that doesn't seem to give me any more access to information than anyone else.

Good luck. I will be getting in touch with the company recommended and I will check out your advice and see if it applies to me too.

Many thanks once again.

Regards Janine

Hi Janine,

I applied onshore for my remaining relative visa. It's better to clarify with an immigration lawyer and find out if you will be granted work rights once your student visa expires.

Good Luck!