Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest 2Accountants

Husband offered 457 Business temp visa-implications??

Recommended Posts

Guest 2Accountants

Hi All,


An employer offered my Husband a 2 year contract role in Brisbane (Financial Controller) on a temp visa - 457. I'm worried now from reading a few threads that this could have problems with regard to Health Insurance,medicare, school fees,childcare etc.


Could someone tell me exactly what it wont let us avail off as we have to work out what the cost of this will be on a yearly basis. My husband mention to employer that he would like to apply for Perm Visa, 856 I think, and the HR told him he should seek legal advice before doing so as it could cost him from a tax point of view.


Any info would be great.:confused:



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest LynseyB

Hi sorry but I don't have any info on your question but I was wondering if you could advise how your husband got a job offer with sponsorship? I am also an accountant and I would love to find something to apply for but there seems to be nothing out there.


Someone is bound to reply to your question as in my experience there are lots of really clued up people on here.





Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

The few things I know about the 457.


1, in some areas you have to pay international school fees for the kids.

2, You are not entitled to any child care benefits.

3, You must take out private health insurance to get the visa. But you don't have to keep it once there.

4, You can (if your employer is willing and able) claim LAFHA (a tax break I don't fully understand) This might be what HR was talking about.

5, If the visa holder loses their job they have a very short space of time to find another sponsor or leave Australia.

6, The employer is in no way obligated to sponsor you for a PR visa later down the line. If they wont and you don't qualify for independent PR (which you might being accountants) again would have to leave if and when the employment ends.


It's too risky for some, some don't like the fact they don't get state help even after many years as a temp resident. Others find it works well and they later get their PR.

05/09/09 Mailed my 309/100 app 17/09/09 CO 05/10/09 Meds 08/10/09 PCC 09/10/09 Xray, 18/12/09 Extra Medical report recieved by CO 14/01/10 Hep B test, 09/02/10 New CO aggh 18/02/10 309, Baby visa needed now for our move in Sept 2011

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now