2 dogs sharing a container

Amy Rose

I was wondering if anyone has flown 2 dogs to Australia and had them share a container to get there?

I think one of mine would cope with the flight and transporting a lot better if she was with the other one

PetAir uk were very helpful, she said they could share a container and ask me lots of questions and answered lots! so got useful info from her

Airpets said they could not it was not legal but the man on the phone seemed di interested and not very forth coming with info

Golden arrow said it was allowed but they would never ever send 2 dogs in the same container as it was to long for them to be together.

I'd personally not have two dogs sharing an actual single container for such a long length of time. Even if they live together, get one well, being cramped together in a small space for 30 or so hours isn't good. If they did decide to snap or lash out for any reason there is no way that the container can be opened to let one out or some such.

The way I would get round this would be to have one larger container with a dividing screen down the middle. That way they can see each other the entire time and be close without actually being in together. I know when I asked about this option with a number of pet shippers it was something they all said was possible (and had been done before to ship two dogs). So long as both dogs have the correct amount of room for their size and the middle is divided it should be fine.

hi snifter, just got an email from the one who said it could be done and they said it would be a mesh divide between them so I am happy with that, one dog is soooo laid back and although I dont think he will enjoy the flight one bit! I know he will cope but my other one is such a drama queen over the un known I worry about her a lot! She hates the car, she is scared of new people and im sure she is on the autistic spectrum lol! Im sure having her big brother by her side will help a lot!

Im not looking foward to this process but it will be worth it once they are out in Australia with us :)

thats a good idea having a divide in the same box, i am so worried about my dogs too, i keep trying to tell myself that 30 days is not long and they love the nice weather so i am sure it will be worth it.

Guest Sebbers

We have just flown our two dogs in the same container and they were perfectly fine on their arrival in Perth. We were given 3 options when discussing the best way to send them the first being 2 separate containers, 2nd one long container with a divider down the middle so they could see each other and the last option the two of them in the same box. After lengthy discussions we decided against options 1 and 2 for the following reasons:

option 1 wouldn't have suited the older of the two as she is the others mother and would have become highly distressed at not being able to get close the the little one as she still cleans and mothers hers.

Option2 - wasn't an option as when we looked at the dimensions of the container it was narrower than the dimensions of the shared box which gave them both more room to turn around.

I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion and some wouldn't agree with the decision we made to fly them both together but it worked well for us and we now have them both back with us which is wonderful

Andrea

I think Im going to go with the shared box with a divide as I have been told thats the way this company will do it and so far they have been the most helpful and friendliest.

Hogan I am most worried about the flight for them. I know quarantine will be no fun but they will get used to who ever looks after them and cope for 30 days( I hope!) its the traveling and been moved around in a box and all the load noises that might scare Jasmin a lot but she will have to get on with it and having Jax with her will help :)

They are both the same size all but a 1cm! (I have Jack Russell's) so the box dynamics wont be a problem.

Guest Sebbers

You have to do what you think is right for your pets, we did for ours, we knew full well that if Poppy and Millie had been in the same box with the divider Poppy (mum) would have had no pad left on her paws as she would have clawed at the divider to get to Millie that was something we couldn't contemplate happening. We chose not to visit the quarantine station as it would have been too upsetting to have to leave them again. The 30 days was hard but was over in no time at all and they were ok apart from the little one picking up an eye infection whilst in there

not sure if mine will be good dynamics if you see from photo a whippet and a bulldog Mmmmm

Have you found an airline that will ship a bulldog long haul? I know not all of them will ship brachycephalic breeds these days. I think Malaysia Airlines was one but I am not sure of others.

How much would I roughly be looking at spending to fly a dog out from the UK?

Depends on the size of your dog. Its based on crate size, not weight. Best bet is to get some quotes from pet shipping companies.

Plus of course all the tests and so on before you go. And quarantine. And possible kennelling before flying out.

Hi this is some information that we were sent over a year ago regarding two dogs sharing a crate!The Rule

For the most part, most dogs will not be able to travel in the same crate together, even if the crate is larger than necessary. The reasons for this have to do with rules known as IATA LAR's (Live Animal Regulations). The LAR's set the global standard for conditions for animals of all species, ages and sizes to travel by air. Airlines must follow LAR's requirements for dogs and cats, which state that, "A maximum of two adult animals of comparable size up to 14 kg. (30 lbs.) each, that are used to cohabitation, may be shipped in the same container. Animals over that weight must travel individually."

The LAR's go on to say that, "Animals up to six months old from the same litter, up to a maximum quantity of three, may be shipped in the same container/compartment."

Simple, right? Right? Well, not so fast...

The Exception

Pet air travel always has a lot of exceptions. Even if you have two small dogs you'd like to ship in the same carrier, the airline could reject the pets if they feel there is not sufficient ventilation or not enough room to move around within the crate. Another issue can be your own pet's safety. Sometimes even pets who are best friends can, when put in close quarters in stressful situations, turn on each other. We do not allow any of our clients' pets to travel in the same container unless they are small enough to be separated by a partition (like mice).

The Bottom Line

Unless your dogs or cats are very small, they will not be able to travel in the same crate together. And even if your pets meet the weight requirements to travel in the same crate together, it can still be risky to put them in the same container. We recommend crate training well in advance of the flight to get your pets used to being in the same area but in different crates. For the most part, airlines keep pets together throughout transport anyway so your pets will never be far from each other -- they'll just have their own comfortable space.

Ultimately, think about it from your perspective. You may love your husband, wife or best friend, but would you want to sit in their lap all the way to Germany or Hong Kong? Space can be good for pets, just like it's good for humans. Help your pet get used to his crate ahead of time and you'll have two smiling faces in two roomy crates when you pick them up at the airport!

yeah i have, we need to go a different route, i looked into it all last year but cant remember the details, i know we had to have the rabies jab think they are stopping at hong kong, nothing is ever simple with us lol

Guest MontyClaude

We are sending two cats, a golden retriever and a bernese. I originally asked about the dogs being together as the Bernese absolutley howls the place down if the golden retriever is even out of her sight! They advised against it (not sure for legal reasons or because of the size of them, they are both big) but they said they had to have equal access to water so to separate them. The thought of it is killing me and I feel very sorry for whoever has to load and unload them - moving a heartbroken 45KG puppy who's been separated from her best friend isn't going to be easy :) But I'm trying to tell myself that the flight time and 30 days in quarantine is nothing compared to the lives we'll all have in Oz!

I have been allowed a crate to share but with a mesh divide between them so they can still see each other and lye next to each other. presumably they will have a water dish on each side

hi amy,which pet company have you used? what dogs have you got? and would you mind saying how much please? just starting to get some names together for my boys,there are so many!! thank you x

Guest rodly

We brought our 2 boys, choccy labs, out in 2007. I asked about sharing but was advised against it, they said for safety reasons. They both survived the flight and quarantine with no problems. I think it's more stressful for owners than dogs. Good luck

Guest sydney71

hi. andrea,could you tell me how much it cost you to fly your dogs over from the uk.we have 2.also is your hubby a bricklayer

Guest MontyClaude

All in all ours will cost between 10 to 12K Euro, but that's for 2 big dogs and 2 cats and includes quarantine, flights, blood tests etc.

Guest aussie01
I think Im going to go with the shared box with a divide as I have been told thats the way this company will do it and so far they have been the most helpful and friendliest.

Hogan I am most worried about the flight for them. I know quarantine will be no fun but they will get used to who ever looks after them and cope for 30 days( I hope!) its the traveling and been moved around in a box and all the load noises that might scare Jasmin a lot but she will have to get on with it and having Jax with her will help :)

They are both the same size all but a 1cm! (I have Jack Russell's) so the box dynamics wont be a problem.

how much is it to fly the jack russels out there as i have 2 mother and daughter :daydreaming:

geez that's good. i thought two dogs couldn't share a container.:biggrin:

Some shipping companies wont let them share, say its to long for even the best of friends to be together! Mine would do it but it had to have a mesh divide down the middle which Im happy with. I am 100% sure my dogs wont snap at each other even after all that way but so happy they can still see each other and lie next to each other but still have their own space. They have there tickets now, flying on monday 6th June:unsure: so happy that they are organized and sooooo worried about sending them off! wouldnt it be so much easier if you could explain to them what was happening!!!!

yes i know it's terrible that they don't understand:frown: I have to ask something. The vet told my dad the dogs didn't need to be quarantined in oz but the govt website says otherwise. I know you can do it without quarantining dogs from aus to uk. Do you have to quarantine your dogs?

Archived