Work in Perth

Guest Karen n Nige

Guest Karen n Nige

Hi - new to this but have our visa now and looking at moving to Perth (Joondalup area) early November. My partner (41) is a Painter & Decorator and I'm an Office worker and we were wondering what the job situation was like? Also what is the usual thing to do on arrival, is it to stay in holiday lettings for a few weeks? if so - any suggestions?

All help will be very much appreciated as we haven't got a clue and also our Agent has ceased trading :(

Thanks again for any advice

Hi, These are some good websites for jobs so you can see what's about http://www.westjobs.com.au http://www.thewest.com.au , http://www.seek.com.au . For furnished rentals have a look at http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk , http://www.aussiemove.com.au & http://www.realholidays.com.au. Good luck, hope this helps. Most people get a short term rental for 4-6 weeks, it gives you time to find your feet, get bank accounts, tfn, driving licences etc sorted & you can get an idea of areas for longer term renting too. X

Guest Karen n Nige

Thanks Cazz and Paul

I will be checking out the websites provided :) It's reassuring to hear that there is plenty of work there (unlike here at the moment!)

I'm really looking forward to the move but getting a bit nervous now, did you find it easy to settle?

Karen x

We've been here for nearly 20 years and found it very easy to settle, even without knowing anyone here and never having visited Aus before.

Not the same for everyone though as I'm sure you will have gathered looking through these forums.

All the best.

We've only been here 12months but have felt at home since hitting Terra firma. It hasn't been easy, it took hubs 6 months to get a job ( aircraft engineer ), but we don't regret the move at all. Good luck X

Guest Karen n Nige

Hi Cazz

Thanks for the message, I was wondering how difficult it was for you during the time your husband was not working - was it hard financially? We have been told that even basic food shopping is really expensive! I think panic has started to set in now.........

Thanks

Karen

hi, we are hopen to move to jondalup area too, maybe NOV2011 or JAN2012. keep in touch guys.

Hi - new to this but have our visa now and looking at moving to Perth (Joondalup area) early November. My partner (41) is a Painter & Decorator and I'm an Office worker and we were wondering what the job situation was like? Also what is the usual thing to do on arrival, is it to stay in holiday lettings for a few weeks? if so - any suggestions?

All help will be very much appreciated as we haven't got a clue and also our Agent has ceased trading :(

Thanks again for any advice

Guest Karen n Nige

Oh that's brilliant, keep us informed and Good Luck :) Are you scared?

Karen

Guest Karen n Nige

We know a couple of people who live in Edgewater and Pearsall, both have been really helpful and love it which makes me feel a bit more positive :) We've got our house to sell but would also consider renting it. Can't believe we're finally making plans.....

Hi Cazz

Thanks for the message, I was wondering how difficult it was for you during the time your husband was not working - was it hard financially? We have been told that even basic food shopping is really expensive! I think panic has started to set in now.........

Thanks

Karen

Hi Karen, Luckily we had sold up in the uk so had funds to fall back on. We didn't want to use the money really as we want to get our own place as soon as pos, but needs must! Like I said we don't regret it for one moment. We'd rather be skint here than the uk! LOL . I don't think you will have a problem getting jobs & your lucky as you already have friends here, we didn't know anybody. Good luck with all your plans X

yes its nice to know ppl there that have the ins and outs of stuff for your info. we have even been offered by the girl i know for us all to stay with them for the first few weeks till we r sorted which is a very kind offer and still to decide about, as it could save the guts of $1200 or more on rent.

chris

We know a couple of people who live in Edgewater and Pearsall, both have been really helpful and love it which makes me feel a bit more positive :) We've got our house to sell but would also consider renting it. Can't believe we're finally making plans.....

yes its nice to know ppl there that have the ins and outs of stuff for your info. we have even been offered by the girl i know for us all to stay with them for the first few weeks till we r sorted which is a very kind offer and still to decide about, as it could save the guts of $1200 or more on rent.

chris

I would take them up on the offer but start looking for a place to rent asap. It can save you loads and gives you somewhere to go when you first get here.

We stayed with some friends when we first arrived. We had only met them a couple of times socially as they were my wife's Sisters friends. We got to Perth airport loaded up with luggage and a baby, looked at each other and both asked if we could remember what our friend looked like.

It was a relief just to have someone pick us up, have somewhere to sleep and stay for a couple of weeks until we got a rental. Never got round to unpacking our cases and they sat in our friends front room till we rented somewhere.

Most people are only too willing to help out new arrivals as we have been through the same thing. It's exciting to see new people and how enthusiastic everyone is. Make sure you don't overstay your welcome though and keep the beer fridge stocked up.

All the best.

• 2 months later...

Hi, My husbands a painter & decorator and I'm an office worker (both 43), we've had our visa for a year now but can't make that decision to move over, our prime concerns are our 16 year old sons education and the work plus the cost of living. We were in Perth in January and plenty of people told us there was tons of work for a painter/decorator. Be interested to hear how things go re the work.

Guest Little Lisa 1971
Hi, My husbands a painter & decorator and I'm an office worker (both 43), we've had our visa for a year now but can't make that decision to move over, our prime concerns are our 16 year old sons education and the work plus the cost of living. We were in Perth in January and plenty of people told us there was tons of work for a painter/decorator. Be interested to hear how things go re the work.

Hi Frosties, we have the same dilema!

We have our Visa and are validating it Dec 2011. We are both 40, OH is a roofer and I'm an office worker. We have two children, a 12yr old and 16yr old. Our plan is to move out in August 2012 once our daughter has finished her GCSE's. My concern is that in Feb 2013 when she will start the new school year she will have to go into Year 11 aged 17yrs to enable her to study for the full 2 years to acheive her High School Certificate. I'm worried how she will cope, I really don't want to damage her education as she wants to go on to Uni!

It's so hard to know what to do for best!

Then you have the worry of will we find jobs? Will we find a decent rental? Can we afford to buy food!!!? And finally when will the exchange rate go back to $2.50 to the £1.00!!!!!!:arghh:

Good Luck xx

OMG, you're our double, I totally understand what you're saying and also soooo relieved that we are not the only ones!! Sometimes I feel like I'm going mad...shall we go, shant we go:confused:

My thoughts are going you're way regarding finishing the GCSE's but also concerned about it being the right decision for my sons education.

Lets keep in touch. :smile:

Guest Little Lisa 1971
OMG, you're our double, I totally understand what you're saying and also soooo relieved that we are not the only ones!! Sometimes I feel like I'm going mad...shall we go, shant we go:confused:

My thoughts are going you're way regarding finishing the GCSE's but also concerned about it being the right decision for my sons education.

Lets keep in touch. :smile:

Thanks I'd like to stay in touch :cute: it's good to talk to someone who is going through the same emotional rollercoaster as us! We've decided we are going to go December, have a really good look at the job situation, the cost of houses etc but make it a fantastic holiday as well as reccie just incase we don't go!!!!. Then come back and make the final decision!!! We have 3 choices............go in August 2012 after my daughers GCSE's or go in August 2014 after she has sat her A levels but then we will be in the same situation with our youngest son having to resit Year 11 or don't go and stay in sunny UK :arghh:

At this stage my head is battered and I just don't know which way we will go with our decision.........When we started this ride the £ was strong and we thought we would be a able to buy a house with no mortgage! I don't want to go out there and throw away all our savings and equity :wacko: but don't want to give up on Australia. I just hope the trip goes well and the job situation looks good (fingers crossed).

Good luck with your decision.

Lisa xx

Hi karen n nige,little lisa and the frosties

just to let you know what i can tell you.

started visa process around 3 years ago 176 painter/decorator wanting to head to perth.

did our reccie march last year, started with the idea as you hopefully to be mortgage free as back then ozzie dollar 2.5 to the £, propertys in easy reach to have at least a very small mortgage, ideal mrs get a part time job, me work full .

But looking further into it now that is not no where near possible, OK you might have a better life out there weather and leisure, But you will still have to work hard to see it .

I was offered a few jobs just on our reccie average wage working for a company 35bucks an hr, house prices where we were looking quinns rock and around 375k plus, rentals 350 a week plus, add all the sums together and they did not work out for us.

This was our dream to start a new life down under but it is fadeing away because by the time we have sold up here, loseing money on house , shipping fees, etc etc, you are back to square one starting affresh, beautifull place to live but as the saying goes if its not broke do not fix it, i am lucky here in the uk as jobs go subby for a company but always got plenty of work and good money, sun shining at moment!!!!!!!

If any of you want to no more and be of any help just get in touch and i will let you know what i know

cheers

Hey guys, Gary here. Im in Qld, the other side - Eastern SeaBord. best i can advise ( ive been here 22 years) if you have some cash and can afford two weeks in a motel / hotel then do that.

priority order of things to do are:-

1. Get over jet lag-stay awake sleep when Perth does, not when your tired..otherwise it will go on and on for ever !

2. Get a tax file number. this can be done on line via the ATO website.

3.Get an Australian simcard asap, your mobile here with a uk number will cost you a motsa !

4. Buy a car.

Now generally you will want to live within car distance of work, so in two weeks go hard looking fro work, that then will determine the area's to look fro work. if you email me direct i have a booklet i give to families i bring over ( im a recruitment company owner - enginering / technical sorry !)

hey can you help me.. what web sites do you use to look for jobs in Oz , when you were in the UK ??? im about to post ads for 18 toyota mechanics and three toyota service managers, some advice back would be awesome.

gary@pgarecruitment.com

Gary

Thanks I'd like to stay in touch :cute: it's good to talk to someone who is going through the same emotional rollercoaster as us! We've decided we are going to go December, have a really good look at the job situation, the cost of houses etc but make it a fantastic holiday as well as reccie just incase we don't go!!!!. Then come back and make the final decision!!! We have 3 choices............go in August 2012 after my daughers GCSE's or go in August 2014 after she has sat her A levels but then we will be in the same situation with our youngest son having to resit Year 11 or don't go and stay in sunny UK :arghh:

At this stage my head is battered and I just don't know which way we will go with our decision.........When we started this ride the £ was strong and we thought we would be a able to buy a house with no mortgage! I don't want to go out there and throw away all our savings and equity :wacko: but don't want to give up on Australia. I just hope the trip goes well and the job situation looks good (fingers crossed).

Good luck with your decision.

Lisa xx

Hi Lisa, thats what we did in January, went with the thought that it's not just a recci its a fab holiday as well, plus Lee (husband) has some rellies over there so we caught up with them too, which was lovely and to be honest partly made me what to pack up and get over there asap but once we got home being realistic kicked back in with regards to all the things you've mentioned above!! :arghh: In an ideal situation it would just be a case of packing up and moving over, if only life could be so simple....

I don't think I mentioned that I also have a 12 year old daughter, how weird is that!!!

What part of the country do you live? I live in West Sussex.

Traceyx

Guest Little Lisa 1971

Hi Tracey,

We live in Wrexham, North Wales. We do seem to be in a very similar situation............very strange! :err: I'm just counting down till our visit in December now and hope we come back a little clearer in what we want to do! Oh yes I also have the complication that my daughter has a boyfriend she's been with for 18months!!!! I've told her if they are still together in a year when we go he can come a stay for a few months on a holiday visa and we'll have to go from there! :arghh: Why is life soooo difficult!!!

Stay in touch

Lisa xx

• 1 month later...
Guest Sarahmess

Cazz, we are planning to move to Perth in August 2012 with our 2 children who will be 16yrs and 13 yrs then. Is there any particular suburbs that you would recommend for good schools and affordable housing?

Thanks

Cazz, we are planning to move to Perth in August 2012 with our 2 children who will be 16yrs and 13 yrs then. Is there any particular suburbs that you would recommend for good schools and affordable housing?

Thanks

Hi, I'm afraid I'm not to well up on schools Hun. My son was 16 when we moved here & went to TAFE instead of going to school. It really depends on, if you want to be North or South of the river, what work you do, & what you call affordable Hun! Let me know a few more details & I will try & help. X

Archived