tonyman

Beef Corned Siverside Joint

does anyone have a good recipe for this joint.............never cooked this joint before ,is it best cooked slow or can it be done on the rotisserie .................:confused:...thanks

Voted Best Newcomer 2010 by PIO Members.......Thank you....x

:huh:no but gis a bite (when its cooked of course ) sounds very yummy !

If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle:cute:

Can't you just stick it in the BBQ ?

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

off course but im sure they say cook this joint the way its suppose to be cooked .......? thats why im asking .........?

does anyone have a good recipe for this joint.............never cooked this joint before ,is it best cooked slow or can it be done on the rotisserie .................:confused:...thanks

G'day mate, if you bought a packet of silverside from the Woollies meat bar, take it out of the placcy, place it in a big pot filled with tap water, add a peeled onion (not cut up), 6 or 7 cloves and an egg-cup full of brown vinegar. Allow the lot to simmer for 1½ hours. Allow this lot to cool to room temperature then you can stick it in the oven to cook as you please, or just cut up for delicious sandwiches with a light spread of pickle...

Cheers, Bobj.

PS. It will shrink about 15%

Most of the packaged silverside has a recipe on the packet.

I add cup of vinegar, malt, tablespoon of brown sugar and bay leaf and cook as per instructions for the weight on the packet.

Makes good sandviches, the salt pork and the salt lamb are also good.

Taste.com.au being an aussie site has lots of lovely recipes as well.

Petals

:ssign15:taking no prisoners :wink:

I cook it the same as petals and let it simmer in a large cooking pot for around 3 hours,,, it is pretty yummy, certainly goes down well in the house anyway,lol

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

We cook it in the slow cooker for 8 hours on low.

Add a couple of onions some cloves brown vinegar and a couple of carrots. It is yummy and falls to pieces.

For pickled pork, we use the slow cooker too, we cook the pork in apple juice, i/2 way through add some apples sliced up and a good handful of raisens

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." Bill Gates 1981

Might just have to head off and buy some now :laugh:

Petals

:ssign15:taking no prisoners :wink:

Yep I do the same as petals...simmer in a pot of boiling water..with a few extra bits of choice for flavour.

Cook and enjoy xxx

Sue (44) Steve (51) Scott (17) Bradley (9) Sophie (5)

Jake - Little Ozzie Angel:angel_happy_face_ha

Spouse visa (PR) granted 17.4.09. In Secret Harbour 29.4.09..loving it!!!!!

I simmer mine too - you could make a nice sauce to go with it

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

I simmer mine too - you could make a nice sauce to go with it

it will be a tad salty

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." Bill Gates 1981

Guest GoldCoastMag

I think if you roast it or use the rotisserie, it will be very salty. It is a "corned" or salt cured product that has been soaked in a brine.

Slow cook in fluid - the longer the better. I do mine for 3 hours.

Best Newcomer 2013-14.

Guest Guest 47403
We cook it in the slow cooker for 8 hours on low.

Add a couple of onions some cloves brown vinegar and a couple of carrots. It is yummy and falls to pieces.

For pickled pork, we use the slow cooker too, we cook the pork in apple juice, i/2 way through add some apples sliced up and a good handful of raisens

We (I mean the wife) do it in slow cooker, so nice. The slow cooker will just melt those thin sheets of fat you get in sliverside.

made it last night, your right it is lovely cooked this way........but, can the stock be used for anything or do you throw it.....?

Guest Guest 47403

We either make gravy from the stock at the time or it can be froze for later use in whatever you want.

G'day mate, if you bought a packet of silverside from the Woollies meat bar, take it out of the placcy, place it in a big pot filled with tap water, add a peeled onion (not cut up), 6 or 7 cloves and an egg-cup full of brown vinegar. Allow the lot to simmer for 1½ hours. Allow this lot to cool to room temperature then you can stick it in the oven to cook as you please, or just cut up for delicious sandwiches with a light spread of pickle...

Cheers, Bobj.

PS. It will shrink about 15%

Hi Bobj,i did cook this some time ago ,im sure i cooked it for longer than 90 mins ,some people said 3 hrs .....i want to use it for corned beef hash .

I wish we could get this here in the UK for my Aussie hubby...everytime we go to the meat aisles in the supermarkets he grabs the (UK) Silverside and I have to keep telling him its not the same! Last time we were over there was nearly 3 years ago and his Mum cooked silverside with veggies...YUMMMMM!

made it last night, your right it is lovely cooked this way........but, can the stock be used for anything or do you throw it.....?

DON'T throw it, Make a soup with the stock, or boil some spud and carrot in it to go with the meat.

All I do to cook my meat is boil it up with a couple of bayleaves and cloves. Lovely served with a mustard cheese sauce.

Thought this site may be of use for the future: http://bit.ly/A492tP

Later days - Dave and Joanne

-------------------------------------------------------------

State Sponsored Visa Granted 20Jan11 - Arrived in Canberra 22Sep11 - Citizens Mar16

I succumbed to peer pressure and bought a corned silverside joint from Coles today. I blame you lot for making me do it.

Get it on the stove now and it might be ready by tomorrow tea time. :wink: Enjoy!

I succumbed to peer pressure and bought a corned silverside joint from Coles today. I blame you lot for making me do it.

Best Newcomer 2013-14.

Gone into the freezer my friend. Tomorrow is Chilli-con-carne a la Pêche avec King Island beef mince (bet no one will tell the difference).

Nice one! We had some wicked King Island cheeses the other week. Fortunately, someone else brought them round so no problem meeting our next mortgage repayment!

Best Newcomer 2013-14.