PLEASE HELP - how do we ever get out of this situation??

Can't believe I'm having to come on here (again) and say this.

Hubby is plasterer and has (again) been told today that there is no more work in the pipeline which therefore means no income for our family. He SO wants to get out of the self-employed rat race, we have never been able to build any security in the almost 3 years that we have been here, no savings behind us, with 3 kids to look after I am truly scared and frightened as to where to turn now.

How does anyone with one particular skill, who cannot sustain long term secure work in that skill, move onto something new? He is a hard worker, reliable and trustworthy, just looking for a fair crack at life. Has been told he cant get into the mines as he has no experience, but how do you get experience if no-one gives you a chance? How does an average guy get a break over here? We are not asking for hand-outs, just a chance to give our kids a future, and to keep the roof over their heads.

Is it really too much to ask? Can anyone offer any advice please? Honestly dont know what to do next.

So sorry Sadsmile I do hope things start improving for you guys soon:-)

I am not so sure about the mines though I know alot of people who have gone to the mines just as TA's and have not had experience, and once they are there they learn so so much.

Have a look through a few websites and see what you can find.

There are a few people who are in the mines or OH's are in the mines on PIO, hopefully they will be able to give you some more advice.

Chin up though things will get better and try enjoy the things you love in Mandurah that are free.

Good Luck

Cheers LaneyOOO:hug::hug:

Guest tiddywiddy
Can't believe I'm having to come on here (again) and say this.

Hubby is plasterer and has (again) been told today that there is no more work in the pipeline which therefore means no income for our family. He SO wants to get out of the self-employed rat race, we have never been able to build any security in the almost 3 years that we have been here, no savings behind us, with 3 kids to look after I am truly scared and frightened as to where to turn now.

How does anyone with one particular skill, who cannot sustain long term secure work in that skill, move onto something new? He is a hard worker, reliable and trustworthy, just looking for a fair crack at life. Has been told he cant get into the mines as he has no experience, but how do you get experience if no-one gives you a chance? How does an average guy get a break over here? We are not asking for hand-outs, just a chance to give our kids a future, and to keep the roof over their heads.

Is it really too much to ask? Can anyone offer any advice please? Honestly dont know what to do next.

Hiya

Sorry to hear about your hubby's work situation. I cannot comment on many of your statements however my o/h has been in the situation of " how do you get experience if someone doesnt give you a chance" my o/h qualified as an electrician in his 30's & no-one would take him on, as they wanted a younger person, less wages etc....

But we managed to find a local electrician whom we asked the above question to, we told him what o/h had qualified in & what his past experiences in work/life was etc etc, anyway to cut a long story short in a couple of day times he phoned o/h & offered him 3 days aweek in London unpaid (he drove o/h to London) to let him see what he had learnt etc, this went on for 2 years 5 days aweek, although he brought tools/clothes etc, although after after about 2 months he started to him per day (althought it was less than about £5 ph) but its the foot in the door he needed. Just wondering if he could turn his hands to painting etc, or get in with the local builder/contractors that has on going work. Plasters are very clever/good at their trade & I cant see why a contractor would want to lose someone like that, so turning his hands at other jobs may help??

Hope Im not telling you to suck eggs :laugh:, wish you luck. x

Hi Sadsmile

Sorry about your situation.... has your hubby considered a complete change... something that will give him a regular income? My friends OH is a brickie and often experienced similar things with work not being consistent enough so he has jacked it in and just this week started a new job as a court security officer... he's training up north at the moment but should be based around Rockingham at the end of his 6 week training... there's also employers like Transperth looking for security officers at the moment.... perhaps it's time for your hubby to put a concerted effort into moving away from the trades work for the time being in exchange for a regular (ok maybe a little lower) income....

Good luck, I hope something comes along quickly

Hi Rachel

Thanks for the advice, I did see the Transperth job advertised the other day, so definitely considering that!

Yes, he ABSOLUTELY wants to get out of the trade situation and into something completely different. We have applied for countless positions over the last couple of years, but he has always had to turn back to his trade when nothing has materialised.

Will keep trying x

Hi there, my oh had to change his job once here as well , def worth looking out of the box he is at the Airport loves it .. but we looked at the Australian post and all sorts .. good luck its not a nice worry to have all the time is it x