Australian Citizenship By Decent

belaroy

There is not a great deal about Australian Citizenship by Decent around so I thought I should create a new thread about how to go about applying for it. All my experience relates to my children who are 4 years and 1 year old.

Firstly have a look at this Department of Immigration site:

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applying/how_to_apply/born_overseas/

Then I completed this form - Form 118 ( you cannot save the form - you have to fill it in then print off.)

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/118.pdf

I then copied and had certified the following items:

A copy of the childs British passport

A copy of the childs full British birth certificate

A copy of My full Australian birth certificate

A copy of my Australian passport

A copy of my British passport

A copy of my drivers licence

A passport sized photgraph of the child

I am getting both childrens citizenships done at the same time as the second childs is slighty cheaper when done at the same time. I will post with the full costings as they have been put in as Australian $.

They will be sent by recorded mail tomorrow 3rd May 2011.

To be fair its quite straight forward to get this done.

There is not a great deal about Australian Citizenship by Decent around so I thought I should create a new thread about how to go about applying for it. All my experience relates to my children who are 4 years and 1 year old.

Firstly have a look at this Department of Immigration site:

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applying/how_to_apply/born_overseas/

Then I completed this form - Form 118 ( you cannot save the form - you have to fill it in then print off.)

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/118.pdf

I then copied and had certified the following items:

A copy of the childs British passport

A copy of the childs full British birth certificate

A copy of My full Australian birth certificate

A copy of my Australian passport

A copy of my British passport

A copy of my drivers licence

A passport sized photgraph of the child

I am getting both childrens citizenships done at the same time as the second childs is slighty cheaper when done at the same time. I will post with the full costings as they have been put in as Australian $.

They will be sent by recorded mail tomorrow 3rd May 2011.

To be fair its quite straight forward to get this done.

I applied for my daughter's cert in Feb and it only took 8 days to process. Same with her Aussie passport. Wish my spouse visa had the same timeframe!! :arghh:

Amanda

I don't recall my husband needing his birth certificate for our son's Aussie citizenship application. This was 3 years ago almost though so perhaps things have changed.

He (hubby, Aussie with UK permanent residency) applied in person at the embassy/consulate in London for the passport and stuff. Made an appointment, took along the forms and his passport, our son's UK birth certificate and paid the fee and it was done. I think he had to list his parents and grandparents back in Aus and a few other things but I am sure didn't provide his birth certificate as he hadn't brought it to the UK with him.

As our son didn't have a UK passport at the time it wasn't an issue either. He was less than 6 months old and we hadn't gotten around to it.

Son has had Aussie citizenship and an Aussie passport since he was a few months old. And also a UK passport as we got that about 18 months ago now.

Guest jacqui70

Took less than a week for my 3 daughters citizenship by decent to come back...Agree Amanda wish OH's visa was that qucik