nice place to live close to trains, if my husband is working in Carrum Downs

Guest Shilpa

Guest Shilpa

Hi Friends,

We currently live in Sydney. My husband has secured a job in Carrum Downs. We have a year old son. How is Carrum Downs as a place for bringing up children? Unfortunately or not, Carrum downs does not have a train station. We would prefer to live nearby train station,because we are yet to buy a car and I have to look out for jobs, so I might have to make frequent trips to the city.

I read the nearest railway stations to Carrum Downs as Seaford, Kananook on Frankston line and Cranbourne,Merinda Park on Cranbourne line.

We have no idea how these places are!We would want to rent in any of these areas, or preferably somewhere close to Carrum Downs.

What we are looking for most primarily are: Community minded suburb close to train station and commutable distance to Carrum Downs,a nice Childcare,close to shops,safe suburb.

Suggestions/help appreciated.

Thanks,

Shilpa

:biggrin:

I know the area well, my oh worked in Carrum and we lived in Edithvale for 11 years then moved to the Peninsula. I would look at Patterson Lakes, Carrum itself, Harbour Town, Chelsea Heights, Chelsea, Edithvale, Bon Beach, Aspendale all accessible for your oh work. He would have to drive though. You can access the train at Carrum, Bon Beach, Chelsea, Edithvale, Aspendale for the city although if in peak hour you probably would not get a seat as the train is full before it gets to those suburbs.

You could also look at Frankston lot of nice suburbs there like Lakewood, Tahnee lodge, South Frankston. Langwarrin is not that far away from Carrum.

To live successfully in the outer suburbs need two cars, most families are two car families.

Mornington is also a good commute to Carrum.

City is about an hour on the train from Frankston.

Hia x we are currently living in carrum downs x

buses run all the time to frankston which take about 20 mins

and seaford is only about 10 mins away by car x

how will your hubby get to wrok if you live by train station

my kids are abit older x

but i have car and hubby has company van

please feel free to inbox me x

carole x

Hi, we live in Lyndhurst in the new estate (Marriott Waters) that is close to Merinda Park station. A lot of people walk to the train station every morning. At the minute there is no path to the station so you have to walk along the side of the road until one is constructed. There are not many new areas within walking distance to the train, which is why we decided to build in the estate. I know the new areas get a bit of abuse for not having facilities etc.

Within this estate they have started construction on a shopping/activity area, with 2 supermarkets, 15 other shops, café and licenced restaurant and a petrol station. There is also a private residents club being built with 25m x 8m swimming pool and medium sized gym etc. Along with 26 hectors of wetlands for nice walks and 2 council owned playing ovals and the normal BBQ areas and play parks. There is also a new primary school Lyndhurst Primary only opened this year.

A few things give the area a bad name like Lyndhurst Tip that is actually 10km away in Hampton Park and Lyndhurst Secondary School which is in Cranbourne. The facilities maybe a year or so away from completion and some of the surrounding roads etc. need to be upgraded. We are looking at it more long term, our children are only 3y/o and 4 months and we feel it will provide all the facilities they will need over the years.

Hi, we live in Lyndhurst in the new estate (Marriott Waters) that is close to Merinda Park station. A lot of people walk to the train station every morning. At the minute there is no path to the station so you have to walk along the side of the road until one is constructed. There are not many new areas within walking distance to the train, which is why we decided to build in the estate. I know the new areas get a bit of abuse for not having facilities etc.

Within this estate they have started construction on a shopping/activity area, with 2 supermarkets, 15 other shops, café and licenced restaurant and a petrol station. There is also a private residents club being built with 25m x 8m swimming pool and medium sized gym etc. Along with 26 hectors of wetlands for nice walks and 2 council owned playing ovals and the normal BBQ areas and play parks. There is also a new primary school Lyndhurst Primary only opened this year.

A few things give the area a bad name like Lyndhurst Tip that is actually 10km away in Hampton Park and Lyndhurst Secondary School which is in Cranbourne. The facilities maybe a year or so away from completion and some of the surrounding roads etc. need to be upgraded. We are looking at it more long term, our children are only 3y/o and 4 months and we feel it will provide all the facilities they will need over the years.

Out of interest how did you fair in the wet, my daughter's friend has a house there and she was flooded out up to the car windows when we had the deluge recently.

Out of interest how did you fair in the wet, my daughter's friend has a house there and she was flooded out up to the car windows when we had the deluge recently.

Our house and street were fine, the garden was bad but ours was still just flat land not even grass on it. So we got to see what it would look like with a swimming pool! Most of our side of the estate is elevated above street level about a 80cm so that kept us a bit safer. I think some of the houses in the Mellington and Figtree estate are a bit lower down and might have been worse off. Something to check out now I suppose when looking at property.

Guest The Pom Queen

We lived in Lyndhurst (Figtree) for 7 years and never had problems with flooding, however, I did hear from the builders that Marriott was built on a flood plain, however, in the 7 years we were there I only remember the fields flooding once around 6 years ago.

I would recommend Lyndhurst (Figtree is ideal for the new station) or Lynbrook both are within walking distance of shops, train, dr's, dentist and schools.

In regards to the tip, yes their is one at Hampton Park BUT the one that gives Lyndhurst the bad rep is the one in Dandenong South, you can't see it from Lyndhurst, quite a few people thought the soil recycling place on Westernport was the tip, but it's not it's a few km from there. Again though it is given the name of being Lyndhurst tip when it's not in Lyndhurst very frustrating. Here is a news article from a few months back http://cranbourne-leader.whereilive.com.au/news/story/us-advocate-called-in-to-dandenong-south-tip-row if you look at the google map, Moreton Bay is the closest estate to the tip http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Moreton+Bay+Blvd,+Melbourne+VIC+3975&daddr=Taylors+Rd&hl=en&geocode=FaNLu_0dWEeoCCn3eGUxlRHWajFLRlyf4N8h6w%3BFTyOu_0d3v-nCA&mra=ls&sll=-38.043985,145.228207&sspn=0.009176,0.026157&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=14 which is B on the map and 6.4km away

Anyway sorry, back on track, you could look at Edithvale, Aspendale, Mordialloc, Sandhurst, Lynbrook, Lyndhurst, Mt Eliza/Frankston South, Cranbourne even Berwick

Guest The Pom Queen

Wow that's deep, do you know which area she lived?

We lived in Lyndhurst (Figtree) for 7 years and never had problems with flooding, however, I did hear from the builders that Marriott was built on a flood plain, however, in the 7 years we were there I only remember the fields flooding once around 6 years ago.

I would recommend Lyndhurst (Figtree is ideal for the new station) or Lynbrook both are within walking distance of shops, train, dr's, dentist and schools.

In regards to the tip, yes their is one at Hampton Park BUT the one that gives Lyndhurst the bad rep is the one in Dandenong South, you can't see it from Lyndhurst, quite a few people thought the soil recycling place on Westernport was the tip, but it's not it's a few km from there. Again though it is given the name of being Lyndhurst tip when it's not in Lyndhurst very frustrating. Here is a news article from a few months back http://cranbourne-leader.whereilive.com.au/news/story/us-advocate-called-in-to-dandenong-south-tip-row if you look at the google map, Moreton Bay is the closest estate to the tip http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Moreton+Bay+Blvd,+Melbourne+VIC+3975&daddr=Taylors+Rd&hl=en&geocode=FaNLu_0dWEeoCCn3eGUxlRHWajFLRlyf4N8h6w%3BFTyOu_0d3v-nCA&mra=ls&sll=-38.043985,145.228207&sspn=0.009176,0.026157&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=14 which is B on the map and 6.4km away

Anyway sorry, back on track, you could look at Edithvale, Aspendale, Mordialloc, Sandhurst, Lynbrook, Lyndhurst, Mt Eliza/Frankston South, Cranbourne even Berwick

Thanks for that info, I never knew where the Dandenong south tip was, still far enough from us 9k so not that bothered. Not sure if it’s the same everywhere but there is a lot of suburb trashing in Melbourne, we were told bad things about Rowville and Croydon but are now friends with people that live in those areas and they would never leave. Was told by family that Frankston was to be avoided unless we wanted our kids to be drug addicts and even Lyndhurst was too close to Cranbourne. It can be very confusing when trying to decide on where to live when there are so many negative comments about some suburbs. Only another 30 years in Lyndhurst and then we can retire to our house in Mt Eliza with an ocean view! :daydreaming:

I recently looked at the Hunt Club land packages in Cranbourne East and there is already an established part there, and there is already a secondary school and primary school opened recently, and its not too far from everything.

Wow that's deep, do you know which area she lived?

Must be low, although it probably was a blocked drain causing the problem, with deluge over the years there has been problems in Narre Berwick and all across the plains when it rains very heavy. In fact its wise to check before people build to see where this is likely to happen. Next time I am speaking with my Daughter I will ask her.

Unfortunately the Moreton Bay Estate should not have been built so close to Westernport Highway. The Taylors Road Tip is the only industrial type tip in the southern part of Melbourne. I guess with all the new industry it will get more use as well. Its not going anywhere either despite people wanting it to. The reason because nimby is alive and well so its in the too hard basket.

Of course everyone thought it was weird too, they paid millions to get the overpass over the rail line then the council came along let them subdivide and put lights on the highway. There is another new estate going in on the corner of Hall Road and Westernport Highway, so the traffic is only going to get worse. I remember when it was vege farms and I used to drive to Dandenong in 20 minutes, well to the top of the freeway then another 15 to the office.

I also remember Petals driving down to Frankston when Lyndhurst was all farming land, and we always looked out for the little Lyndhurst Church and thought it was cute.

Those were the days when going down to Mornington was a huge drive for our family, now I go there to walk the dog as its just down Eastlink ! Must be getting old or something:laugh::shocked:

I also remember Petals driving down to Frankston when Lyndhurst was all farming land, and we always looked out for the little Lyndhurst Church and thought it was cute.

Those were the days when going down to Mornington was a huge drive for our family, now I go there to walk the dog as its just down Eastlink ! Must be getting old or something:laugh::shocked:

The little school was also there, as it was two lane highway when I first went to work in Dandenong I got time to look at the countryside in the traffic jam, has not changed much with the two lanes :laugh: There was a rhubarb farm there and just before the railway line there was an off licence and lots of guys bought their grog there.

Ah yes, I barely remember that, but a few weeks ago when I went down to Lyndhurst to see a PIO member I thought : where the heck am I? Like most new suburbs it needs to get itself established, after all people have to live somewhere, and by the way I think some parts of Somerville are still good buying too (brother used to live off Jones Road). Also, talking about Carrum Downs, my Uncle used to own the now Caravan Park there on the Frankston - Dandenong Road (Kingston Lodge). He started it up as a poultry farm, then told my dad that he was going to change it into a caravan park. My Dad thought he was joking, but he wasn't. Within only a few years he retired virtually a millionaire in today's terms - came from Scotland with nothing - sold up to the next owners, but everytime I drive past there I think of Uncle Jack's chicken farm where I learned to ride my bike around the sheds.

Ollie I remember the chook farm along there too, gosh how its all changed.

Yep there are still cheap houses in Somerville, small though, about thirty years old and unfortunately they are being snapped up by investors and rented. This is sad for the first home buyers. With the on ramp to the Peninsula by pass being about 10 minutes away from Somerville I guess they are looking to make a buck when its finished as it will be a great place to live for access to work and the Frankston Freeway and Eastlink.

Somerville was a small village when I moved here many moons ago and we knew lots of people, old families from the area but as times have changed and its expanded to over 16000 people, bigger than Hastings now but we still do not warrant a sign to tell anyone how to get here lol. Graffiti has become a problem although we have always had some problems not from the residents but from the blow ins at night from surrounding areas due to the pub. We have the pub.

Sorry op we do not mean to highjack your thread but hope that you can also glean some information about the areas around here. Ollie and I can remember how it was and compare how it is now. Still not a bad place to live. I like ordinary, ordinary does me, do not like fancy estates where they measure the length of the grass to see its the same as next door lol.

My friend lives in one of those pristine estates in QLD and we always laugh about the length of the grass.

True Petals, I remember when Carrum Downs was a nice way of saying Frankston North, as when my uncle had the poultry farm his kids went to the Pines/Monterey High, which had its problems due to the housing commission around there. I think there are good and bad pockets around all the suburbs, I think anywhere near or around the peninsula is good buying and places change. Some parts of Cranbourne are fine and others not so much, but that used to be a country town too didn't it? My sat nav is being updated as we speak, so now I can find my way round the south east of Melbourne without ending up in Sydney, LOL:laugh:

True Petals, I remember when Carrum Downs was a nice way of saying Frankston North, as when my uncle had the poultry farm his kids went to the Pines/Monterey High, which had its problems due to the housing commission around there. I think there are good and bad pockets around all the suburbs, I think anywhere near or around the peninsula is good buying and places change. Some parts of Cranbourne are fine and others not so much, but that used to be a country town too didn't it? My sat nav is being updated as we speak, so now I can find my way round the south east of Melbourne without ending up in Sydney, LOL:laugh:

Get down to Hastings Olly how that has changed. We always loved it as it was a small fishing town, yep it had its bad bit, only due to the silly government though. Who builds thirty years ago a subdivision in the middle of nowhere with no transport etc or work for government housing residents.:laugh:

Now there are new estates everywhere the prices have soared. We thought in out dotage we would sell here and move down there as it has everything for oldies like us but it aint so cheap anymore, been discovered. Have to be Yea I think :laugh:

• 1 month later...
Guest jeza

Danny, you could not have said it better! We heard how great Melbourne was, got here, and all we heard was how bad every single area is!!! Morning ton and surrounding areas nice...but Sokol far away, cranbourne and surrounding areas all bad bad bad and full of hogans, spingvale etc full of the mafia, west and north...don't even consider it! What a load of absolute rubbish! The only place any decent person could possibly consider living was close to the city, or close surrounding areas, such as all the bays areas, and all those houses are close to 800 -1 million dollars! Madness! Most decent families do not earn the kind of money that supports that kind of mortgage. Most would not want that stress! ( not meaning to offend those who do earn that kind of money without stress...lucky you!)

The reality is you have to make choices here, regardless of where you chose to live you will have good access to all that Melbourne has to offer, but you will not get everything on your door step! For us, our top priorities were drivable to the city for a fun day out, close to dandenong for work, and an affordable mortgage. We chose berwick to rent in, but to buy is to expensive, so we will buy 6 mins down the road in a very nice burb could cranbourne north. We are very very happy. We have what we want, but we get sick of people who have never been there knocking the area...as im sure you do inlyndhurst which is simply a normal family friendly area. Everyone gets knocked here...every sinle area except the bays...but then you need 800 thousand plus to live there!

Guest jeza

Ahhh, I placed a message on here that has disappeared to elsewhere, but I really wanted to make the point that Danny is absolutely right when he says that there is so much suburb trashing in Melbourne....and yet every area has it's advantages and disadvantages. You simply will not get everything on your doorstep for an affordable price...you have to make choices. But the good news is that everything is generally within a 1/2 - 1 hour drive. We chose cranbourne north because it is 30 mins to the city outside of rush hour, it is 30 mins from hubby's work in dandenong, it is 5 mins to berwick town and 10 mins to fountain gate for serious shopping. 5 mins to a train, and across the road from a huge walking lake wetlands etc etc. We had settled in berwick but too expensive to buy in, and with first home owners grant...decided to build. So ended up in cranbourne north which s actually full of totally normal families...many second and third home buyers.

When you come here, you take a hit from the exchange rate. It is very unlikely that you will be able to afford the lovely bays at 800 thousand for a very small house...but if you can...well done! All the areas are fine. I have driven through carrum downes, and honestly, it looked absolutely fine to me! Just very Normal. But there's nothing wrong with affordable and normal!

Guest jeza

Found the other message...woops it's on page two! Enjoy exploring Melbourne...there really is something for everyone here!:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Olibear

Not sure if you've made your mind up yet but I thought I'd add my tuppence worth.

We've recently moved to Aspendale from the UK and when looking for somewhere nice to live commuting distance to the City I overlooked a key factor....express trains!

Sad as it sounds I made a map with concentric circles showing commuting time by train in 10 minute bands to the CBD. I didnt' realise that most lines have an express train which services the outer suburbs and skip the inner ones - kind of rendered the map worthless! The Frankston line typicaly saves you 10-15minutes in the peak hours. It stops all stations Frankston to Cheltenham then skips most of the rest. However, out side of peak hour, the journey is frustrating. It needs a few good books to keep the kids still for that long.

Hope that's of some help.

Oh, and don't live too close to the railway tracks, the freight trains are thunderously loud at night! If you must, then live close in a perpendicular sense, not parallel.

• 2 years later...
Small world,my mother and father also owned Kingston Lodge Poultry Farm .

Wow, when was that? I think my Uncle left it in the early 70's - they bought property in Pearcedale after that. They got fed up running it as a caravan park, and sometimes all the trouble that went with it (so I remember my Dad telling me). Lots of memories for me from there though, and there were no freeways down there it was quite a long drive back then to Carrum Downs. Yesterday I drove to Mornington on Peninsula Link and drove right through that whole area, remembering how things have changed - I had visitors from England and they couldn't believe it was all farm land where Peninsula/Eastlink is now.