UK Driving licence in NSW?

Guest NinaCFK

Guest NinaCFK

Hey everyone,

I'm moving to Sydney in August (exciting!), and am trying to get as much stuff sorted as possible before I get there...

I've been looking at getting an Aussie driving licence, but couldn't work out whether I have to re-take my test again, or if (being a UK driver) I could simply get an additional licence?

I apologise if this question has been asked before (I did have a hunt through the forums, but couldn't see anything) - but any help or advice you can offer would be wonderful!

Thanks very much,

Nina :)

Guest destinationoz

Can you keep your UK licence too especially if you'll be moving back in a few years ????

If you are going on a 457, you can keep your UK license and drive on that. I still have my UK license, I just had to go and get a customer number from the RTA that links up my UK license with their system. Hubby got an Aus license (for proof of address etc more than anything) and has to renew it yearly because he is (currently) a temporary resident. If we are successful in obtaining PR, I will have three months to swap it over.

Hi

You can get a NSW license and keep your UK one - they don't exchange them anymore. I have both. I think you can drive on your UK one for a year before you have to get an Oz one. It's very straightforward - you take your passport and license in and they issue it there and then!

Guest destinationoz

So - do people get the licence in their temporary address then change it again when they find longer term accommodation? Does it cost anything ? Thanks

So - do people get the licence in their temporary address then change it again when they find longer term accommodation? Does it cost anything ? Thanks

generally yes, easy to change the address in NSW, just log on to the RTA's website, change it online and they send replacement stickers through the post.

I have both my UK one and an Australian one. I came over on a 309 visa and you don't have to get a Australian licence until you become a PR, after which you have 3 months to change over. If you get PR as soon as you come over you have 3 months from the day you land. When driving on your UK licence you are supposed to carry your passport or a copy of your passport showing your visa and entry date. Unlike the UK you can be done for not having it on you while driving. Until you become a PR you will not be allowed to get a licence for longer than 1 year and you'll have to renew it every year, once you become a PR you can get one that is valid for 5 years. The longer the licence the more expensive as well. If you are a temporary migrant you can only get a licence after you have been in the country 6 months.

The only test you have to take is an eyesight test, unless you want to transfer your other cats like C and D. NSW RTA transfer car and motorcycle cats with only an eyesight test. I think if you have C+E you only have to do the heavy combination test and bypass the Heavy Rigid test. On the plus side once you pass heavy rigid test you also get a bus licence

Just another pointer, if your heading out on a WHV, you can drive for 6 Months with your UK licence, then you have to apply for an Aussie one.

As that's a temporary visa you can just stay on your UK one for the full period of your WHV.

Guest NinaCFK

Thanks everyone! :)

I'll hopefully try and keep my UK license, as well as getting an Aussie one - my situation is a bit unusual, in that I'm a dual citizen and passport holder of the UK & Australia, but will be living in Oz permanently for the first time. Because of being a dual citizen, I don't have a visa or anything, but just need documents proving that I'm moving permanently and won't reside in the UK any longer. Hopefully those (and the usual driving stuff) will be enough for the licensing lot!

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
I have both my UK one and an Australian one. I came over on a 309 visa and you don't have to get a Australian licence until you become a PR, after which you have 3 months to change over. If you get PR as soon as you come over you have 3 months from the day you land. When driving on your UK licence you are supposed to carry your passport or a copy of your passport showing your visa and entry date. Unlike the UK you can be done for not having it on you while driving. Until you become a PR you will not be allowed to get a licence for longer than 1 year and you'll have to renew it every year, once you become a PR you can get one that is valid for 5 years. The longer the licence the more expensive as well. If you are a temporary migrant you can only get a licence after you have been in the country 6 months.

The only test you have to take is an eyesight test, unless you want to transfer your other cats like C and D. NSW RTA transfer car and motorcycle cats with only an eyesight test. I think if you have C+E you only have to do the heavy combination test and bypass the Heavy Rigid test. On the plus side once you pass heavy rigid test you also get a bus licence

I think you are misleading people the licence is actually cheaper if you get the 5 year one. 1 year is $50 3 years is $118 and 5 years is $ 157 dollars so if you are a PR it is cheaper to get a 5 year Licence as it will save you in long run.

Just a note for those worried about keeping their UK license, that if you're not resident in the UK (i.e. once you have PR in Australia and are living in Australia), your UK license isn't technically valid, even if you still have the card.

Only UK residents are entitled to a UK license, and it has to be kept up to date with your current residential address. So if you're australian PR, and have an australian license, that's the one you should be driving on if you visit the UK for a holiday, otherwise you could be in for a pretty large fine, just like UK residents who've moved and not updated their address.

Once you return to the UK on a more permanent basis, you just fill out a form with your new address, send in a photo if your old one is more than 10yrs old, and they'll send you your new photocard in the post. Very simple and straightfoward.

If you're going to be on a temporary visa in Australia for any length of time, it's worth getting an australian license if you can (think it depends on the state, I had no issues in SA). Otherwise you might get into issues with the UK no longer considering you resident, therefore license not technically valid (would mostly be an issue if visiting the UK). Also handy having some australian ID.

If you're going to be on a temporary visa in Australia for any length of time, it's worth getting an australian license if you can (think it depends on the state, I had no issues in SA). Otherwise you might get into issues with the UK no longer considering you resident, therefore license not technically valid (would mostly be an issue if visiting the UK). Also handy having some australian ID.

I personally wouldn't bother getting a NSW licence if on a temporary visa (and haven't) - it costs you money and a small amount of hassle, and means you can "earn" demerit points which you can't on a foreign licence. The only benefit is that it provides you with readily accepted Aussie ID - but it won't take you long to get this by other means anyway

Archived