Guest jimmurray

Melbourne districts, pros and cons....

Guest jimmurray

Hi gang

was wondering if anybody could give me some info, looking at moving to Melbourne mid Oct, and was hoping someone could steer me in the right areas to look at to live in. cant seem to find any negatives on the net :idea:. Which i am sure there must be some, i have three lads and any info would be great.

Ta

Avoid footscray, sunshine, at albans, dandenong, and perhaps frankston.... these are the areas i can recall at the top of my head...

885 Lodged: 14-Dec-2011, Meds and PCC front-loaded CO: 23-Jan-2012 Grant: 10-Jan-13 Citizenship Lodged: 24-Feb-14 Citizenship Test passed: 14-Mar-14

Guest jimmurray

cheers mate, how long were you there for?

WOW very random suburbs listed there!:wink:

I would have said avoid Footscray at one time but after living in Melbourne for 3 years and working or driving through it I have found that, like most other suburbs it has it's pro's and con's it is an area that is being talked about as up and coming with lots of regeneration BUT I think it will be affected by the proposed new link to the city??

Sunshine - again depends on which parts, most of the surrounding suburbs are OK

St Albans - I did not like the look of this the first time I drove through, however I visited someone there recently and she lived in a very nice street, all the gardens kept well etc

Dandenong - have only passed through but I thought a lot of people liked living there??

Frankston - only driven through, I have heard it has it's good points

This is a very subjective question to ask and you will get a lot of differing opioions on which suburb is better than another.

Where will you be working?

What are your priority's ? schools, commuting time?

there are good schools (for what I hear) in the North, South, East or West of CBD and all suburbs should have things for your boys, great parks, footy and other sports etc

The answers to these questions will determine where you should start looking.

We live in the West, close to Sunshine, St Albans, Werribee, Point cook, Wyndham - there are a lot of new houses, a lot of new facilities in some of these areas, as I said it all depends on what you want. It suits us here at the moment but we intend to move further out towards Werribee or maybe even further along the coast.

I should say at this point we have grown up children so we are looking for peace and quiet rather than being near to everything like schools etc

We used to live near Essendon in Strathmore which is a very established suburb, lots of people have lived there a long time, there is a great row of local shops and community feel. It is on a good train line to the city, about 25 mins.

We loved it there but could not afford to buy so we ended up further West on a new estate which is developing well, we have a new Coles, plus other local shops and take aways opened up within walking distance, an IGA just around the corner in the other direction, in walking distance again, with a pharmacy, Doctors, bakers etc

Not sure if this has been any help, there will be others along with thier own opinions soon I am sure.

My advice would be to rent somewhere you can afford close to where you will be working for a couple of weeks to give yourself a chance to have a good look around at suburbs, schools etc before you decide on where to lay your hat on a more permanent basis.

Good luck with it all:wubclub:

Visa - MODL 136 Childcare Coordinator

1st TRA application, Nov 06, as a Childcare Coordinator came back positive as Hairdresser so...........

TRA ack 20/03/ app 27/04/07

Visa lodged 14/05/07

PC back 10/07/07

visa ack 14/08/07

C O 26/09/07 (11/09/07)

meds arrived 22/10/07

VISAs granted 14/12/07:biglaugh:

Lived here for 35 years now and have some idea of the southern parts of Melbourne.

Dandenong look at Dandenong North, Endeavour Hills, head out to Narre Warren North, Berwick.

Frankston, avoid Frankston North although its being gentrified these days as people buy the cheaper housing and refurbish. Frankston South is fine as is Lakewood, Ballam Park, also Langwarrin is ok.

When you arrive and have a look around you will find the area that suits as we are all different and have different requirements.

Just because an area has a lot of graffiti etc does not make it a bad area just means that the kids can afford spray paint and are left to their own devices by their parents. Graffiti comes in waves sometimes there is a lot around sometimes there is not. As children grow up in an area often some anti social behavior appears, but they grow up and move on.

Where to live depends on commute to work and how long you wish to spend doing it.

Older areas are the ones with the most services and broadband access. Newer areas its hit and miss, also harder to get on docs lists and schools are overflowing. So a lot of the areas mentioned as undesirable have desirable services. Catch 22.

Good luck

Petals

:ssign15:taking no prisoners :wink:

cheers mate, how long were you there for?

Been here 4 years now...I live on-campus in my uni accommodation...

Frankston is quite far away from the city, and parts of frankston are known to be quite "rough"...same with footscray and sunshine...in parts of these suburbs, there are more "bogans" than some other suburbs, so it might be a bit of trouble if you have young lads...

Generally, the suburbs along about half the sydenham line can be a bit dodgy (passing mostly through footscray with 3 stations in that suburb, and then through sunshine etc), but some suburbs like watergardens are quite fine...

It comes down to what suits you...as others have mentioned, your work, kids' school etc will all be factors.

885 Lodged: 14-Dec-2011, Meds and PCC front-loaded CO: 23-Jan-2012 Grant: 10-Jan-13 Citizenship Lodged: 24-Feb-14 Citizenship Test passed: 14-Mar-14

Guest MaybeOz
Hi gang

was wondering if anybody could give me some info, looking at moving to Melbourne mid Oct, and was hoping someone could steer me in the right areas to look at to live in. cant seem to find any negatives on the net :idea:. Which i am sure there must be some, i have three lads and any info would be great.

Ta

Hi

Welcome to PIO

We're also hoping to one day head to Melbourne .. we also have three boys (19, 14 & 10) so will be watching your thread with interest to keep up with the good and not so good areas to settle.

All the best with your move.

Kari :wubclub:

Guest jimmurray

i have actually been asked by prospective employer to look around Melbourne and decice where i would like to live, work bring the kids up, so bit of a mine field i am affraid, never been to Aus, but i currently live in a "rough" area of liverpool in the UK, so surely even the bad areas cant be as bad as what i am used to!!!!!

Ta

PS What is a Bogans?????

PS What is a Bogans?????

They're somewhat equivalent to the "Chavs" or "Yobs" u have in the UK :biglaugh:

Guest jimmurray

K, ta i get it. :shocked::shocked::shocked:

Bogans are mostly ordinary people and are fine, I suppose most suits become bogans on the weekend when they are relaxing. Tracky daks, no shoes, etc. Cannot judge a book by its cover.

As for rough areas, I would say that its more like getting a sus neighbour than a rough area. The housing commission flats propably have some roughies but probably more refugee types but they get a bad press as they do in England. They are situate around the CBD and very obvious just like the UK big blocky ugly things. South Melbourne, Collingwood, Flemington, Richmond have them.

For some years now our housing department has spot bought property so you could buy or rent in an apartment block or buy a house in a nice street but there are dhs tenants there and mostly they are ok but occasionally just like other neighbours they are undesirable in that they do not live like thee and me.

Personally I like a neighbourhood with a cross section of the community makes life more interesting, what would we have to moan about if there were no hoons, letter boxes being knocked off etc. Boring :laugh:

Petals

:ssign15:taking no prisoners :wink:

Guest jimmurray

Ok guys cheers any more info greatly appreciated

Guest jimmurray

Thanks to all for giving me info

Jim

I wouldn't write off Footscray (very multicultural, 10 mins from city), especially next suburbs to the south (on Werribee train line), Seddon (gentrifying/hip), Yarraville (gentrifying/hip), Spotswood (gentrifying/families), Newport (gentrifying/families/train hub) and Williamstown (wonderful heritage suburb 3-4 km opposite city across Hobson's Bay, and 30 minutes by train to city, less by car, and bike possible). Williamstown on Wiki.

Useful suburb guide for Footscray http://www.suburbguide.com.au/category/area-info/location/s-footscray

City of Footscray on Wiki.

PS Have lived on and off in Newport for 20 years....

Andrew Smith, B. Bus., M. Ed. Web http://www.aiec.hu Blog http://aiecquest.wordpress.com