Guest Colemac

Australian 457 Sponsored Visa - HEELLLPPP Please

Guest Colemac

Hi All,

I need some help/guidance/support regarding emigrating to Australia, so anything anyone can advise will go along way.

I am hoping to be offered a position for a role in Australia (although highly unlikely that ill get it) but i need to understand more details around the Australlian 457 Visa and anything that i can do to assist myself and my family getting Permanent Residency.

Obviously moving to Australia on a 457 Employer Sponsored Visa is probably the quickest way to get myself, my wife, 2 step kids and another on the way but i understand it carries huge risk which is where my concern lies, im sure all will understand that uprooting the kids from school/college is a big thing and i have read that if you lose your sponsorship you have 28 days to find another one or be expected to leave.

Can anyone give any information on there own experiences using the 457 Visa, im sure there are plenty of posts similar to this but i am new here so figured it best to start another post.

We would obviously like to get Permanent Residency ASAP but i dont know the rules around this or even where to start.

Guys can anyone shed any light/assistance please....... :confused:

Guest tiddywiddy

Hi

We also have been offered a 457 visa. Be aware depending on where you are going you dont have to pay for schooling, we are hopefully heading to NSW, where we will have to pay for schooling. The only problem with the 28 days is that you have to notify the immigration services immediately that you no longer have a job & the likelyhood of getting/securing a job within that time limit isnt easy & I also believe the new employers are able to sponsor a 457 visa (although I may be wrong on that one?). I think you need to be in Employment for a year & then you can apply for PR, as you say it is suppose to be easier that route. I also believe when/if they grant you PR, you have to leave Australia (I quess for a day!!!) then come back into the country to be granted the PR.....

Were currently doing our Vetassess then hopefully going for the 457, its seem very risky & we arnt risk takers at all, its going to cost us ££££, we are having to sell our house, give our dogs to a relative & take our little girl (almost 4) out of her new school, even if she gets to start it in Sept. But its our only option to get out there??? Hope you get me correct info?

Take care & keep me posted x

Hi

The 457 visa works for many people, but I have also seen my fair share of people who suddenly lose job, get made redundant don't get on with boss etc, who are then in a very serious predicament and may need to leave Australia at short notice.

This is just my personal view, but I would not be uprooting children from school / college for hte sake of a temporary visa. And definitely not without researching the path to permanent residency first.

I actually recommend you explore how you might achieve PR now, if that is your goal. Another point to consider, if your children are older is whether they will still be in education by such time as you hope to secure a permanent visa. If not, you might get yours but they might not be able to get PR on the back of your application.

Tiddywiddy. I think you should go back and do a little bit more research you have been *seriously* misled if you have been told you can apply for PR after a year on a temporary visa. You most definitely cannot, in fact you could do ten years on a 457 and it still would not mean you are entitled to PR. A 457 visa is a temporary visa and it always will be, it does not magically "convert" into a permanent visa down the line and nor does it offer any path to PR.

To obtain PR you need to apply for and be granted a visa that offers it. The employer is under no obligation to sponsor you for PR down the line and indeed not all occupations are eligible for PR sponsorship, even if they are eligible for TR sponsorship.

Guest Colemac

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies on this and i can understand the point Pumpkin about going over there only on a 457 and taking kids out of school is a bit risky, im just not sure how i would go about gaining PR, this obviously would be my goal and aim ASAP but im not clear on qualifying requirement, or how i even go about it??

The reason for the move from my point of view is to gain a better life for me and my family, and as it is getting a PR for Australia is no easy thing and the possibility of being offered a job all be it on a 457 Visa and being able to get out there is just so so tempting but i do have to think of the long term risk of damaging education if things were to go wrong.

any advise you can give on the PR route would be greatly appreciated however.

Thanks again guys

Craig

Hi ya,

A 457 has its risks, but it may be a pathway to getting PR. If you were offered a 457 you could take that, and then once established with the company, ask them to sponsor you permanently on a ENS121 (this takes 6-7 months processing). Of course that is all depending if they meet the criteria.

Some people on here have got fedup waiting for their 175/176 visas to come through, so in the meantime have managed to get sponsored on a 457 to get them over faster. the permanent visa will cancel out the temp once on approval.

It all depends on your occupation, liklihood of getting sponsored, and how soon you wanted/or able to go to Oz.

Dont know if Ive helped any, but good luck.

cheers cazmayo

Guest Colemac

Hi Carmayo,

thanks for that, i have been looking in to those options but its just the risk factor that is putting me off, i mean to be fair this is all dependant on a job offer which in fact i may not get so this all could be a waste of time but i need to be prepared just incase.

i have completed online assessments in which by the looks of things i can qualify for the 176 Visa option which i guess is a good thing and i am engaging with an agent to confirm if this is actually the case so i guess maybe its a wait and see.

In regards to getting to Oz i guess this can be as soon as required, however we have a house to sell, etc, etc so maybe a little while.

but thanks for your input in anycase.

Cheers

Craig

Hi Craig,

Is your occupation on the SMP list of the state you wish to move to. If so, this would put you into Cat 3. If not, then you would be Cat 4 or 5 and may have somewhat of a wait.

3 steps to perm visa application

1. Skills Assessment

2. State Sponsorship

3. Visa Application

I would wait and see what the agent advises!! and gives you current processing times.

(Hoping to go out on a 457 initially ourselves, but have worked there before, and have worked with the proposed sponsor) but definitely perm visa application going in asap.

Your not entitled to Child Benefit on a 457, you are on a perm visa as soon as you arrive.

You have to pay school fees in certain states as an overseas visitor.

Not entitled to medicare on a 457 (must have your own private medical insurance).

Best of luck, were hoping to move to Perth from Ireland. Lived in Perth 10 years ago, and want to move back as life very bleek for a tradie in Ireland.

Best of luck.

Cazmayo

Hi Carmayo,

thanks for that, i have been looking in to those options but its just the risk factor that is putting me off, i mean to be fair this is all dependant on a job offer which in fact i may not get so this all could be a waste of time but i need to be prepared just incase.

i have completed online assessments in which by the looks of things i can qualify for the 176 Visa option which i guess is a good thing and i am engaging with an agent to confirm if this is actually the case so i guess maybe its a wait and see.

In regards to getting to Oz i guess this can be as soon as required, however we have a house to sell, etc, etc so maybe a little while.

but thanks for your input in anycase.

Cheers

Craig

There are really two options for you.

The first is that you start a 175/6 skilled migrant application. The other is that the employer sponsors you for a 121 /856 permanent sponsored visa.

So I would recommend that you investigate whether you and your occupation qualifies for the 175/6, can pass skills assessment, have enough points etc.

At the same time, you should aslo check if your occupation is one that will qualify got the permanent emplyer sponsored visa (check the ENSOL) and I would aslo recommend you broach the subject with the employer when you are at a more advanced state with current discussions.

Guest Colemac

Hi Guys,

Thanks again for the replies, i wasn't aware of some of the things you mention Cazmayo so thanks for that and to be honest im becomming more and more concerned with the 457 visa.

Cazmayo - where did you find out all this information, do you have any links to anything useful or is this just stuff you have learnt since your last visit?

Pumpkin i have completed the some online free assessments and 2 different ones state i am passible with my current job/skills for the 176 migration however i am not sure where i can find required skills in need for certain states - any ideas??

thanks again

Craig

http://www.dtwd.wa.gov.au/skilledmigration/detcms/navigation/skilled-migration/occupations-in-demand/?oid=MultiPartArticle-id-11458324#toc1

http://www.immi.gov.au/

http://www.thewest.com.au (the West Australian Newspaper)

Step 1 - skills assessment

have to determine who assesses your occupation. A skills assessment can takes a few months. You have to collate all your paperwork, copies of qualifications, references from previous employers (detailed) etc, this takes some time!!

Step 2 - once you have done your skills assessment, you should apply for state sponsorship (if your going for a 176). the link above is for Western Australia, sorry thats the state im interested in, you can look up the others on this website. It is good news if your on the SMP (state migration plan) which means your application will get priority as you are an occupation in demand in that state. This use to takes months, but I see of late, its only taking about 4-5 weeks in Perth.

Step 3 - visa application

I have gained lots of info from researching, from this website and others. I have read so much I just want to get moving now!

I would think the 176 is the way to go for you, especially that you have a house to sell and an expensive relocation to cover. the whole process doesnt be long added up, medicals, skills assessment, visa, state sponsorship, agent fees if you opt to go with one, police clearance.

cheers cazmayo

Hi Guys,

Thanks again for the replies, i wasn't aware of some of the things you mention Cazmayo so thanks for that and to be honest im becomming more and more concerned with the 457 visa.

Cazmayo - where did you find out all this information, do you have any links to anything useful or is this just stuff you have learnt since your last visit?

Pumpkin i have completed the some online free assessments and 2 different ones state i am passible with my current job/skills for the 176 migration however i am not sure where i can find required skills in need for certain states - any ideas??

thanks again

Craig

There are some things that an online assessment cannot tell you. It cannot tell you if you will pass skills assessment for example. It cannot tell you if your work experience matches what DIAC expect for a specific occupation.

You need to do this research yourself and apply your own judgement. Online assessments are good for counting points and not much else.

You need to go to the individual state websites one by one to find out what occupations are in demand. I do not have the links saved, google "western australia occupations in demand" or "western australia state sponsorship" etc.

Guest Horse

Hi All,

So I'm in the process of moving to OZ (Adelaide) with my wife and 4yr old son, I'm going on a 121/856 Visa. This Visa is permanent for 5 years, with a 2 year sponsored contract and after 4 years we can automatically become citizens, once we leave for a day. I'm going through a agent as i can't see how i would possibly manage the paperwork and keep the pressure on the sponsoring company. I went over to Canberra a few months ago and got my Skills assessed through the Master Builders Association, cost me AUD$ 500 . The Migration agent is costing me Euro4500. Application is 2 months in now, ....would be a help if anyone knew how long till Visa is processed? Anyway hope this is some help.

457 visas coming from UK are entitled to medicare - but emergancy treatment only. RHCA.

I had medicare card when I was on 417 WHV and 457 visa. I went to medicare centre with passport and NHS card and got card.

Hi ya,

A 457 has its risks, but it may be a pathway to getting PR. If you were offered a 457 you could take that, and then once established with the company, ask them to sponsor you permanently on a ENS121 (this takes 6-7 months processing). Of course that is all depending if they meet the criteria.

It would be an ENS 856 as that is an onshore visa, ENS121 is the offshore version.